• Jan 24th, 2024 11:57 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver

Captain's Boil Sauce

Seeing the gigantic dumpster fire of a thread for Captain's Boil in hot deals reminded me that I liked their Captain's Boil sauce the last time I was there.

Just wondering, since I don't cook with those spices at all, if anyone knows a recipe that will get even semi-close to the flavor. I know on the menu they say its cajun spices, lemon, garlic, butter, but anyone know if I can go out and buy any brand of cajun spice and get close or are the mixes quite different?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
After spending $200 for 2 people and still had to go to McDonalds made me try to replicate it.
So I bought $100 worth of seafood and ended up being stuffed to the gills with a bunch of "leftovers" (uncooked) for round 2.

Anyway... here's my recipe:

2lb Salted Butter
90g Garlic
10g Smoked Paprika
30g Old Bay
5g Onion Powder
2.5g Cayenne Pepper
15g Lemon Pepper
10g Clubhouse Cajun
10g MSG
5g Black Pepper

Usually I'm not one for prepackaged spices (the Clubhouse Cajun) but I was too lazy to come up with my own Cajun.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: After spending $200 for 2 people and still had to go to McDonalds made me try to replicate it.
So I bought $100 worth of seafood and ended up being stuffed to the gills with a bunch of "leftovers" (uncooked) for round 2.

2lb Salted Butter
90g Garlic
10g Smoked Paprika
30g Old Bay
5g Onion Powder
2.5g Cayenne Pepper
15g Lemon Pepper
10g Clubhouse Cajun
10g MSG
5g Black Pepper

Usually I'm not one for prepackaged spices (the Clubhouse Cajun) but I was too lazy to come up with my own Cajun.
Awesome, thanks for the recipe. Really looking forward to trying it out. :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7066 posts
3378 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: After spending $200 for 2 people and still had to go to McDonalds made me try to replicate it.

2lb Salted Butter
90g Garlic
10g Smoked Paprika
30g Old Bay
5g Onion Powder
2.5g Cayenne Pepper
15g Lemon Pepper
10g Clubhouse Cajun
10g MSG
5g Black Pepper

What do you do with this? Do you steam the seafood first, then immerse the cooked food in the sauce for 10 mins prior to serving? Or do you cook the seafood with the sauce together? Or maybe use this overnight as a marinade?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
badOne wrote: What do you do with this? Do you steam the seafood first, then immerse the cooked food in the sauce for 10 mins prior to serving? Or do you cook the seafood with the sauce together? Or maybe use this overnight as a marinade?
Steam it (naked), toss it, serve it. Optionally bag it to retain some heat, but that's pretty unnecessary.

Marinade probably wouldn't work because it'd wash off in the steam. Salt will also partially cure the seafood if left long enough.
Plus it's a waste of butter. Seafood is small enough that the flavor on the outside will be enough.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: Steam it (naked), toss it, serve it. Optionally bag it to retain some heat, but that's pretty unnecessary.

Marinade probably wouldn't work because it'd wash off in the steam. Salt will also partially cure the seafood if left long enough.
Plus it's a waste of butter. Seafood is small enough that the flavor on the outside will be enough.
I had a chance to try it yesterday, sauce was a hit, thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
PharaohsVizier wrote: I had a chance to try it yesterday, sauce was a hit, thanks!
Great to hear!
What'd you put it on?

EDIT: Also how close was it assuming you've had the original.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: Great to hear!
What'd you put it on?

EDIT: Also how close was it assuming you've had the original.
I followed the recipe pretty closely except at a seventh of the size and used a pound of fresh mussels. Admittedly it has been at least a month or two since I had the original but I'd say it's pretty close. Really nice and it's gonna save me a bundle!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7066 posts
3378 upvotes

2lb Salted Butter
90g Garlic
10g Smoked Paprika
30g Old Bay
5g Onion Powder
2.5g Cayenne Pepper
15g Lemon Pepper
10g Clubhouse Cajun
10g MSG
5g Black Pepper

90g Garlic is a powder and not the fresh variety?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
badOne wrote: 90g Garlic is a powder and not the fresh variety?
Fresh garlic
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
badOne wrote: wish I had a digital scale
They're pretty cheap.
It's not like you need a high end one like a MyWeigh KD8000, even something that's $10 would work.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Good recipe but it’s missing the brown sugar. It’s key
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Good recipe but it’s missing the brown sugar. It’s key
Seafood is already sweet enough. I'd rather not add more to mask the natural sweetness.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1119 posts
271 upvotes
Bringing this old thread back to life.

Anyone try any of the premade spice mixtures like "SLAP YA MAMA" or the likes on Amazon?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
masalma wrote: Anyone try any of the premade spice mixtures like "SLAP YA MAMA" or the likes on Amazon?
I was actually curious since I've heard good things about it so I bought it when I saw it.
Usually I'm an ingredient list $PersonOfIllRepute but I for some reason skipped it until I tasted it.

TL;DR Salt, Black Pepper,Red Pepper, Granulated Garlic

TL;TL;DR Salt is salty and being the first ingredient all you can taste is salt. I wouldn't buy it again.
Jan 23, 2024
1 posts
The way they make the sauce is they add additional things like onions, chilis and garlic. Its carmelized and pureed into the butter and dry spices. This helps create the thickness in the sauce. Also brings out the flavours. Almost like a Sambal