Automotive

Car accident, my fault - driver gave me option of paying or go through insurance

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2013 9:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6348 posts
778 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 10:25 pm
That is a VERY reasonable estimate. Bodyshop should be using refurbished bumper and light lens. They other guy is being very reasonable accepting that - he must know and trust his shop. Maybe OP should take OP's car over to the same shop and get an estimate there - when they know you are paying out of pocket, instead of insurance, the quotes tend to be lower.
+1
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6348 posts
778 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 10:25 pm
That is a VERY reasonable estimate. Bodyshop should be using refurbished bumper and light lens. They other guy is being very reasonable accepting that - he must know and trust his shop. Maybe OP should take OP's car over to the same shop and get an estimate there - when they know you are paying out of pocket, instead of insurance, the quotes tend to be lower.
+1

OP's damages look around 1k or so.

OP whats your deductible? If you can, save the insurance route for something more seriously. It's gonna be stuck on your record for 6 years, and most other insurance companies will ask for your 10 year history ...so....even after the 6, it might be hard to change insurance companies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19931 posts
1711 upvotes
^
what the heck is the point of insurance then
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6348 posts
778 upvotes
Something like a total loss, or a not at fault accident. That's how i see it .

My co worker had a fender bender, rates raised by about 60$ a month for 6 years, so thats about $4320. On top, he was overpaying by about 25$ a month after the 6 years till 10 years cause no other insurance company would give the lowered rate. He did a quote pretending he did not have an accident on file to compare. So, that was about another $1200.

Over the 10 years, he paid $5520 extra just cause he claimed an accident that was maybe 2k to fix if he paid out of his pocket.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1198 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
I recently had someone hit me from behind and had to get a new bumper and tail light and some minor body work on the inside of my trunk. Lucky, for him I guess, I did not have any sensors on my car/bumper. Total out the door he paid was $2200.

Honestly it did not look that bad at all and we all thought it was be a few hundred bucks...but you never know until you take it in and get a real estimate.

GL OP.
pennywize wrote:Go up to her in person and ask: Does this cloth smell like chloroform to you?
Success rate = 100%
MrBurns wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 3:30 pm
I'd push an old lady in front of a semi to get a penny off the sidewalk.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13017 posts
3790 upvotes
deeargueta wrote:
May 5th, 2013 3:53 pm
Oh man!! these estimates sound really HIGH... :(
I called the other driver and he sent photos to his bodyshop guy who said it is at least $650 or max $950 he will take it in tomorrow to get en exact quote...
That's an amazing deal. It's costing someone else's insurance company just over $1000 to repaint my front bumper/blend it. Considering the amount of actual damage (tail light, bumper) I think the actual quote will come in much higher. If you decide to pay it out of your pocket make it clear, in writing, the amount to cover all of the physical damage is $xxx.xx.
I really worry that MY car will be more expensive and quite frankly looking at a 2012 car all smashed up makes me angry so I'll have to fix it and move on :(
although if I fix HIS car through cash... how will I get insurance to fix mine??
can I do that??
Without lying to your insurance company about how the damage occurred you'll be placing a claim on the collision part of your policy that will cause your rates to most likely rise (as you'll be found at fault). If you plan on getting your car fixed through insurance you might as well make a claim now because your rates will go up the same whether you repair his vehicle and yours, or just yours.

thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate all your help.[/quote]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6618 posts
939 upvotes
Obviously if its 650 to 950 then just pay cash...and walk away very happy and lucky since insurance on your record would be much more than that.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1708 posts
149 upvotes
Calgary
Make sure to get him to sign a full release before you give him any cash.
Oct 31, 2012
474 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
canehdianman wrote:
May 6th, 2013 5:30 pm
this. Though can that really prevent him from going through insurance? Just curious about the legality of it all.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
kris07 wrote:
May 7th, 2013 2:20 am
this. Though can that really prevent him from going through insurance? Just curious about the legality of it all.
Even when you are not at fault, it is wise not to involve the your own insurance company.

An insurance company will not like you, if you have several not at fault insurance claims. They may still raise your premiums.

The reason is statistically speaking, you are a bad driver too - if you are somehow involved in several accidents in a 2 year window (lets say). That is you must have bad driving habits or are inattentive and let yourself get into situations where an accident can occur.

An insurance company only cares about the number/amount of claims it pays out on. So whether you at fault or not at fault they are still paying $.

And you never know when you are going to be in an at fault accident. Sometimes it is bad luck/timing/other driver. So to make an unnecessary claim is playing with fire. What if you have an accident during the next winter, ice on road - you were at fault? (Now within 1 year you have two accident claims = expensive insurance).
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
kris07 wrote:
May 7th, 2013 2:20 am
Well the best way to protect yourself would be to pay the body shop directly rather than just give cash to the guy. That way you have an invoice stating the damage, showing that it was repaired to the owner's satisfaction, and showing that it's paid in full.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9966 posts
1835 upvotes
Oakville
deeargueta wrote:
May 5th, 2013 3:53 pm

I really worry that MY car will be more expensive and quite frankly looking at a 2012 car all smashed up makes me angry so I'll have to fix it and move on :(
although if I fix HIS car through cash... how will I get insurance to fix mine??
can I do that??
If you're paying cash for his, don't go through insurance for yours, unless you *ahem* say someone hit you while you were parked and you didn't see it. But if you're ever caught lying about it, they'll cancel your insurance and you'll have trouble getting insurance anywhere else and might be in trouble with the law.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7430 posts
695 upvotes
Richmond Hill
canehdianman wrote:
May 6th, 2013 5:30 pm
+1, and get a witness from each side to sign, there are plenty release templates just google.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2008
32 posts
I ended up going through insurance :(
He called me to say the quote was $2000 when his body shop guy saw the actual damage...
For me it was between $1500 and $2000
And since I don't have $4000 laying around I had no choice
Damn insurance company, I mean I'm sure I already overpay!!! And I have to pay $500 on my repairs and they pay the rest.
As if th $250 monthly for the past 5 years I've been with them hasn't been enough -__-
× < >