Off Topic

Car accident Quebec-fractured back

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 4:41 pm
[OP]
Nov 4, 2017
1 posts

I was involved in a hit and run in January, I was a pedestrian.. long story short, I fractured my vertebrae, i was in a brace for 3 months, had to go through physio and occupation therapy for 3-4 months..and my back is still not right, I'm in pain after standing up for so long, or sitting, and to get to the point, I was compensated 1108$ ! Plus 90% of past 10 months lost wages..I've basically lost money here.and I'm screwed for life..idont know how to approach this next step, how do I get a lawyer? Cuz this is not right.the SAAQ are a bunch of scammers
13 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
Do you guys not have Diamond & Diamond in Quebec? Any reason why you waited this long to lawyer up?
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4677 posts
418 upvotes
Cannot sue in Quebec for auto injury..that's the law there
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 12:40 pm
Do you guys not have Diamond & Diamond in Quebec? Any reason why you waited this long to lawyer up?
Just a heads up be careful of Diamond & Diamond they get you to sign on the dotted line and then they farm you out to a lawyer that specializes in car accidents for an example.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13705 posts
9207 upvotes
Toronto
rb wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 12:59 pm
Cannot sue in Quebec for auto injury..that's the law there
wow. TIL. good to know

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/tourists-and ... /accident/

"It is important to note that our insurance plan is based on the “no-fault” principle, which prohibits any court proceedings against another road user, regardless of whether that person was responsible for the accident. "

in short, OP is screwed.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3910 posts
207 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
sprung wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:12 am
wow. TIL. good to know

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/tourists-and ... /accident/

"It is important to note that our insurance plan is based on the “no-fault” principle, which prohibits any court proceedings against another road user, regardless of whether that person was responsible for the accident. "

in short, OP is screwed.
Wow never knew
Jan 29, 2017
496 posts
479 upvotes
You can contest SAAQ decision. Make sure not to miss outlined deadlines, process is here -> https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/traffic-acci ... -decision/

A relative got about 10K in Quebec for a rather minor leg injury sustained as a pedestrian (car was at fault). All he had left was a small scar and an infection which required a few days in hospital due more to poor medical treatment and that was some 20 years ago.

When you think they will shell more than a grand to repair minor car dents and painting after an accident. Is you body less worth than a car frame? Sounds like you are getting shortchanged. Hope you can get more but above all hope you get back full health.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
Hope OP didn't wave his right to contest the settlement by accepting the initial compensation.

Sounds like he's entitled to a lot more.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
I have 3 pieces of advice:

1. Talk to a lawyer
2. Talk to a lawyer

and

3. Talk to a lawyer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6320 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
i6s1 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:31 pm
I have 3 pieces of advice:

1. Talk to a lawyer
2. Talk to a lawyer

and

3. Talk to a lawyer.
In case you didn't understand his advice: talk to a lawyer!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3886 posts
985 upvotes
The SAAQ are indeed a bunch of scammers, they will fight tooth and nail to give as little as possible to people who are severely crippled and to cut them off as soon as possible. And good luck fighting in court against a government with unlimited resources.

Part of me likes the no-fault system, because even a responsible person can't prevent a tragedy occurring to them on the road, and people who have just been through a grave car accident shouldn't be burdened by going to court or being threatened to go to court. And most of the people who you will sue will not be solvable, and lawyers will scam you.

However, the system doesn't solve the problem, it simply moves it. Instead of an insurance company estimator dealing with your case, it is simply a civil servant that does.

When it is the government that does this, you have no competition, you have no recourse. And so it fosters this mistreatment of victims, because they know they can never be replaced.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Jan 29, 2017
496 posts
479 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:57 pm
The SAAQ are indeed a bunch of scammers, they will fight tooth and nail to give as little as possible to people who are severely crippled and to cut them off as soon as possible. And good luck fighting in court against a government with unlimited resources.
As stated you may not be able to take them to court but at least lawyers can provide advice on how to contest decisions. If you google around there are law firms offering this services.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6320 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
peli33 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:05 am
As stated you may not be able to take them to court but at least lawyers can provide advice on how to contest decisions. If you google around there are law firms offering this services.
Exactly! If there is an appeals process, a lawyer will know how to trigger and navigate through that. I'll all for DIY but when it comes to areas about which my knowledge is limited, then (even) I will seek out an expert opinion. At a minimum, go to a community centre and ask for advice or help there.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2939 posts
2106 upvotes
Burnaby
Jeffreyshann wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:54 am

I was involved in a hit and run in January, I was a pedestrian.. long story short, I fractured my vertebrae, i was in a brace for 3 months, had to go through physio and occupation therapy for 3-4 months..and my back is still not right, I'm in pain after standing up for so long, or sitting, and to get to the point, I was compensated 1108$ ! Plus 90% of past 10 months lost wages..I've basically lost money here.and I'm screwed for life..idont know how to approach this next step, how do I get a lawyer? Cuz this is not right.the SAAQ are a bunch of scammers
Here there's a list of places offering low-cost or free legal assistance in Quebec: Barreau du Quebec - Pro Bono or Low Cost Services -- OP might want to consult first with a pro bono and proceed later with them or a low cost lawyer (there's a list of those there as well), if there's one close to your location.

Regarding your remnant health issue, dude, look for a specialized physician who is more proficient and thorough -- some physicians treat the symptoms and not the root cause. There are plenty of websites rating doctors or just keep trying second opinions until you find a competent MD.

gl
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]