• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 11:53 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
990 posts
282 upvotes

Car accident repair/payout % threshold?

My daily got hit just earlier today omw home from work - luckily I wasnt driving the subie!. Anyway, 08 civic exl driving straight in an intersection got it by a freight truck making a left turn. bumer skin ripped off, taillight dmg, rear fender busted in, metal behind bumper, not rebar..chassis? apron? dmg. going to get a quote but want to know how much before its deemed write off. i imagine its prob 5-7k repair
3 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14965 posts
5239 upvotes
One factor that comes into play is what the car is worth as salvage. At the end of the day insurance companies care about the dollar. They would prefer not to repair your car and deal with the hassle of unsatisfactory work, delays, rental car, etc. This makes the write off decision dependent on what type of car you drive. There is some flex in this decision.
Sep 8, 2017
731 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
Went through this situation last year. My insurance told me their threshold was damage greater than 80% of the vehicle's worth.

But even that isn't a guarantee that they'll fix your car. I had about $4000 damage, and they said my vehicle was worth $5500. That's 73%. But they still wanted to write it off. I argued and argued, but they wouldn't budge. They said that the damage appraisal was done before disassembling the vehicle for repairs. And that once they did that, they might find more damage which would push it over the threshold. In the end, I just ended up taking the payout.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
990 posts
282 upvotes
derass wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:11 am
Went through this situation last year. My insurance told me their threshold was damage greater than 80% of the vehicle's worth.

But even that isn't a guarantee that they'll fix your car. I had about $4000 damage, and they said my vehicle was worth $5500. That's 73%. But they still wanted to write it off. I argued and argued, but they wouldn't budge. They said that the damage appraisal was done before disassembling the vehicle for repairs. And that once they did that, they might find more damage which would push it over the threshold. In the end, I just ended up taking the payout.
Thank you. Based on the damages, im sure it'll hit 80%+ of the car's value. I spoke to the claims adjuster on Sat and have the car at the bodyshop now awaiting for a quote. Hopefully I'll find out by midweek if they decide to repair or write off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)