Automotive

Car Accident Who's at fault? Have video!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2015 2:03 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Who's at fault?

• Total votes: 428. You have voted on this poll.
You are at fault

17%
Black Dodge at fault

54%
Partial fault

29%

Poll ended at Oct 16th, 2015 9:03 pm

[OP]
Oct 5, 2015
24 posts
5 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC

Car Accident Who's at fault? Have video!

Hello
I just got into an accident couple weeks ago.
My ICBC adjuster says I am at 0 fault but the other party does not agree.
and since I only have the basic insurance, ICBC wont let me fix my car until the situation is resolved.

I had an advanced green left turn arrow, the other guy had red
What do you think about this accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKGR03hKyY

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2493801 ... 312!8i6656

[IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/ ... q5k9tl.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/ ... esfhxp.jpg[/IMG]
438 replies
Dec 1, 2013
122 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
You had an advanced green. The person turning right on the red light is 100% at fault as he/she was not in his/her lane when they collided with you. They have to yield to you. If they had made their right turn and you hit them from behind, you would be at fault.
Aug 25, 2015
261 posts
114 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Xtendwarrior wrote:
Oct 6th, 2015 9:02 pm
Hello
I just got into an accident couple weeks ago.
My ICBC adjuster says I am at 0 fault but the other party does not agree.
and since I only have the basic insurance, ICBC wont let me fix my car until the situation is resolved.

I had an advanced green left turn arrow, the other guy had red
What do you think about this accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKGR03hKyY

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2493801 ... 312!8i6656
camera seems to show your car was half way into his lane.
Dec 1, 2013
122 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
In a perfect world, each driver would take their lane and both parties could make their turn unmolested, but drivers are unpredictable hence that's why there are protected and advanced green lights to allow drivers to make left turns because many drivers make improper wide turns or turn into right lanes to take an immediate exit into commercial space. An advanced light or protected light requires a driver who's turning right to always yield. There was a discussion on here a couple years ago that got crazy. A few cops chimed in and said they would ticket the right turn driver, and an insurance adjusted laid out the fault determination rules for this situation and the red light right turner would be found 100% at fault.

It's still poor form to make wide left turns. Don't do it because things like this can happen. Not saying that this happen to you OP it's difficult to tell in the video, and for all we know the SUV could have been making a wide right turn to get into the left.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7605 posts
1758 upvotes
Mississauga
redwineplz wrote:
Oct 6th, 2015 11:16 pm
camera seems to show your car was half way into his lane.
I agree your car seems to be part way into the curb lane so you are at least partially at fault. If you stayed in your lane and the other car turned into there lane nobody would of hit each other.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5885 posts
1536 upvotes
BC
You lawfully entered the intersection on a green arrow, seemingly before the Dodge made a perfunctory stop and commenced turning right.

This meant that you "had control of the intersection" - a concept widely ascribed to by N. American motor vehicle and police authorities.

For the Dodge to safely enter the intersection he had to be sure that you were going to turn into the leftmost lane and stay in it for a while.

Clearly that did not happen as the video shows the Dodge turning into his rightmost lane immediately before the collision. So at least 50% fault is attributable to the Dodge.

Should it be 100%? Really depends how ICBC view a left-turner's responsibility to turn into and stay in the leftmost lane.
If you needed to move over quickly in order to get into Denny's parking lot it is reasonable that you should expect the Dodge to give way to you.
However, I think I can see his point - he also (in his mind) commenced a lawful turn and you collided with him when he was directly in your vision.

If a witness statement said that he did not stop properly before turning right, then 100% his fault.
Otherwise, it's really tough to say and 50/50 might be the only fair decision.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
You are 0% at fault. The right hand driver made two mistakes. He had a red light, he had to fully stop before entering the intersection, he failed to do that. Second, he can only enter the intersection when it's safe, obviously in this case, not safe at all. Good thing you had a dash cam.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4263 posts
386 upvotes
digging that korean music u playing hehe
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
You're at fgault because that music is god awful. Btw what dashcam is that because it sucks.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17670 posts
1762 upvotes
Woodbridge
Advance green or not both driver's need to MAKE PROPER TURNS on their respective lanes.

I'm on my G4 can't really make out if both did.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17670 posts
1762 upvotes
Woodbridge
When I'm in this situation I always try to make eye contact and/or try to get a feel how the other driver is.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4263 posts
386 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 12:51 am
When I'm in this situation I always try to make eye contact and/it try to get a feel how the other driver is.
OP coulda made a better turn but the person making turn on RED is at fault here.
when turning on RED, never assume other driver will turn into lane properly
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4948 posts
1656 upvotes
Canuckland
Life lesson never trust anyone on the road.