Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 10:08 pm
Tags:
Feb 1, 2012
858 posts
835 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Johnson Controls announces deal to sell automotive battery business for $13.2 billion
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bu ... 987434002/
Johnson Controls International plc has agreed to sell its automotive battery business to a Canadian private equity firm and institutional investors, including an entity that manages public pension plans in Quebec, for $13.2 billion.
The sale, expected to close by June 30, would complete Johnson Controls’ exit from the automotive business and comes two years after the merger of Johnson Controls and Tyco International International plc.
Under the agreement announced Tuesday, the business would be sold to Brookfield Business Partners L.P., a publicly traded limited partnership, and a group of institutional investors, including Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, in a cash transaction valued at $13.2 billion in cash.
Brookfield is a spin-off of Brookfield Asset Management, a Canadian firm that has $285 billion under management and invests in real estate, infrastructure, renewable power and private equity.
Full story at the link above.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12522 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto
Deepwater,

Thanks for the info. I had updated my original post on Nov 13 when the news came out. It listed as follows:

As of Nov 13, 2018, Johnson Controls has sold their Battery/Power business: https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/media-c ... s-business

I am unsure on how this will impact their quality of their batteries going forward.
Feb 1, 2012
858 posts
835 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Sorry hitech I did not see that you updated your original post. This did give me the opportunity to go back to your original post and see what a really great thread this is. Thanks!
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Jul 11, 2005
336 posts
30 upvotes
This thread has been very useful. My 2008 Mazda 3 panasonic battery is starting to show it's age in cold weather. I don't think charging it will do anything but I'm gonna take it to Parts Source to test it, I literally haven't touched the battery since I've owned the car.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9323 posts
3369 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TrueDon wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 3:45 pm
This thread has been very useful. My 2008 Mazda 3 panasonic battery is starting to show it's age in cold weather. I don't think charging it will do anything but I'm gonna take it to Parts Source to test it, I literally haven't touched the battery since I've owned the car.
I would only test a battery after you perform some basic maintenance on it first as testing will only tell you the current status of the battery NOT whether or not it can improve with charging/maintenance.

If you have literally haven't touched the battery since you have owned car, I'll bet that the fluid levels in the battery are low (which should be topped off) and the charge is poor. And I didn't even have to test the battery!
Jul 3, 2017
12 posts
6 upvotes
Very fortunate to have my 4 year old JC-made Walmart battery replaced at no charge. It had 9 year limited warranty label on it so I was expecting pro-rated replacement, but auto associate told the customer service to replace it. Is this normal? However, I noticed CCA and CA are both a bit down when compared to the old battery. Who makes Walmart battery now? New one doesn't say JC made anymore.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12522 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto
vtec300 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 2:09 am
Very fortunate to have my 4 year old JC-made Walmart battery replaced at no charge. It had 9 year limited warranty label on it so I was expecting pro-rated replacement, but auto associate told the customer service to replace it. Is this normal? However, I noticed CCA and CA are both a bit down when compared to the old battery. Who makes Walmart battery now? New one doesn't say JC made anymore.
You lucked out as you had one of the older batteries when they had more generous 9-year warranties (4-year free replacement, 5-year pro-rated). New batteries are made by East Penn now. In fact, East Penn batteries come up under various brands (NAPA, Canadian Tire, Diehard, OEM Dealership, Walmart, etc.). CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) works with RC (Reserve Capacity). You may have a large CCA but a lower RC. The idea is to get a balance between them.

You didn't mention the year/make/model/engine of your vehicle so I cannot tell you the recommended CCA and RC of your battery. You can visit http://www.dekacatalog.com/ and search for it and it will tell you this info. If the replacement is greater than what is listed, you should be just fine. Just keep the battery charged and the terminals clean.
Jul 3, 2017
12 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks for your insight. I have 2012 Acura TL 3.7. Oem battery lasted only 2 years until it was replaced with JC Walmart battery. I bought 24F size. Used felt ring on the post, scrubbed the terminals clean, and sprayed battery terminal corrosion preventer by CRC. I run dashcam with voltage cutoff all day so hope it's not a huge stress on the battery, day in and day out.

Since I got it replaced, does 3 year battery replacement with the new one begin from the date of exchange or from the day of original purchase? If it's latter, then it's been four years already so not applicable? I ended up not paying anything for price difference although new one was $32 more. Probably better Canadian exchange rate back then.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12522 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto
vtec300 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 7:27 pm
Thanks for your insight. I have 2012 Acura TL 3.7. Oem battery lasted only 2 years until it was replaced with JC Walmart battery. I bought 24F size. Used felt ring on the post, scrubbed the terminals clean, and sprayed battery terminal corrosion preventer by CRC. I run dashcam with voltage cutoff all day so hope it's not a huge stress on the battery, day in and day out.

Since I got it replaced, does 3 year battery replacement with the new one begin from the date of exchange or from the day of original purchase? If it's latter, then it's been four years already so not applicable? I ended up not paying anything for price difference although new one was $32 more. Probably better Canadian exchange rate back then.
Generally, once a battery is replaced for free, that is the end of the warranty as they have provided the coverage they said they would. Their warranty only starts over if you pay for a new battery. The OEM specs for your car is 550 CCA and 90 min RC. The 24F Walmart battery has 725 CCA and 120 min Reserve which is plenty good for your car. I have the same thing in my Camry and installed it back in November. It also sounds like you did a good job in terms of the installation and protection. I would suggest getting a battery charger if you don't already have one. Depending on your driving patterns and the drain from the camera, a charger would keep the battery in top shape and give you lots of life. Walmart has an 8 Amp Schumacher automatic charger on sale for $30. This seems to be easy to use and decent. Here is the link to the product info: https://www.batterychargers.com/en/prod ... id-charger.
Dec 11, 2018
3 posts
macnut wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 12:56 pm
Despite the fact that a lot of GTA people have been replacing their batteries recently because they were not able to start in the very low temperatures,
the fact is that batteries around the world fail from heat more than anything else.
Yup, this is such a misnomer that people have that cold weather is harder (as in damaging) on a car battery, when it is actually the heat that does the damage. I remember talking to our inverter repair guy at work (we had inverters that ran the emergency lighting in the building and had a case with 30 large truck sized 12 volt batteries in it. He was showing me the difference in the batteries from one side of the building to the batteries in the other side of the building. In the span of 12 months, they had 2 batteries go bad on the one side of the building and 10 that went bad in the other side. The only difference was that the one with 2 batteries that failed was kept to 75 degrees and the other one was at 82 degrees due to a problem with the HVAC. The same thing happens to the battery in your car. Sure, the load on the battery is more in the winter with the increased current required to start the motor and the battery has lower current abilities at colder temps, it that doesn’t harm the battery.