• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2018 3:36 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5414 posts
1148 upvotes
BC
"Coding battery" is a bit vague. And it is not simply just a case of what alternator output level is needed.

There are 2 separate actions:
1. Battery registration - letting the vehicle know that a new battery has been installed
2. Battery programming - coding in the details of the new battery type (FLA, AGM, Gel, etc.) and specifications

Most European automakers have adopted battery registration and programming because of increasingly stringent emission standards.
This includes the smaller players like Skoda.
May depend on the automaker, but for at least some you can do registration without proceeding to programming.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12150 posts
1014 upvotes
Toronto
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:16 pm
coding battery? how can a person not understand that that created the battery thread??? some cars u do have to tell it "hey, u got a new battery"...........

also, your claim of 14.5V is very untrue. most car now goes up to 15V.
#2. at school, they always teach us battery is 12.6V. no idea where u get 12.7 from...............

From what I was told, each cell could be around 2.12 volts fully charged at rest and very fresh which is about 12.7 volts. This link mentions similar values:

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/frequen ... volts.html

As for Alternator voltage, the vehicles I have owned and checked display up to 14.4 volts. Some cars may output more and I will update the info accordingly. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

As for the coding, I was not clear as the original comment appeared to be broken English. I believe macnut answered that question. Sorry, I have not owned a vehicle that required this procedure. One can search on Youtube about this relating to their vehicle and see what the procedure is.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7918 posts
2512 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:07 am
I see cars alternator now go to 15v.........
Probably only those with a OE AGM battery.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7918 posts
2512 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:16 pm
coding battery? how can a person not understand that that created the battery thread??? some cars u do have to tell it "hey, u got a new battery"...........
Just because someone takes the initiative to create a FAQ to help the community doesn't mean that they are saying that they know everything there is to know about the subject. It's not like he is doing it for the money or the glory. You can either contribute or not but there's not need for the attitude.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11514 posts
1432 upvotes
hightech wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 6:34 pm
From what I was told, each cell could be around 2.12 volts fully charged at rest and very fresh which is about 12.7 volts. This link mentions similar values:

As for Alternator voltage, the vehicles I have owned and checked display up to 14.4 volts. Some cars may output more and I will update the info accordingly. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

As for the coding, I was not clear as the original comment appeared to be broken English. I believe macnut answered that question. Sorry, I have not owned a vehicle that required this procedure. One can search on Youtube about this relating to their vehicle and see what the procedure is.
how factual is that link?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11514 posts
1432 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 6:50 pm
Probably only those with a OE AGM battery.
Battery from cumpare w204. Cluster did show 14.9-15.1V.......

I don't think it is an AGM. Why would this have a vent tube if it is?

Vent tube at right of the red + of sticker
IMG_20180109_193541929.jpg
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11514 posts
1432 upvotes
hightech wrote:

2.12V per cell?? Where in your link does it show that? Why does my textbook for automotive program only say 2.1V per cell. doesnt match up.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11514 posts
1432 upvotes
hightech wrote:

is my textbook wrong @ 2.1V per cell vs 2.12V????
Screenshot 2018-01-09 at 19.54.03.png
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12150 posts
1014 upvotes
Toronto
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 7:56 pm
is my textbook wrong @ 2.1V per cell vs 2.12V????

Screenshot 2018-01-09 at 19.54.03.png
qaz393

Sorry, I didn't know that cumpare was a brand name. My apologies as I read the sentence as "compare" and the wording threw me off.

As for the reference, the information of 2.1 volts is well known but the link that I came across offers more precision. Some references I recall from Japan also point to the 12.7 volt rating. As an aside, I know the Japanese can be very precise. My old 2002 Camry had a 3.0 L V6 but the spec listed as 2.995 L :)

In any event, 12.6 or 12.7 volts or 12.67 volts rounded to 12.7 are all within the ballpark. I don't think the 0.1 v delta is a make or break in this context.
Apr 4, 2017
401 posts
39 upvotes
I noticed my koa tends to have hard time starting in winter only. I have to the gas pedal for it to start up properly.

I noticed if i put premium gas, than it starts up properly.

This new battery i got 2 yeara ago.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12150 posts
1014 upvotes
Toronto
ysl5710 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:11 pm
I noticed my koa tends to have hard time starting in winter only. I have to the gas pedal for it to start up properly.

I noticed if i put premium gas, than it starts up properly.

This new battery i got 2 yeara ago.
Does your vehicle require or recommend Premium Fuel? I remember on my 02 Camry V6 that Premium Fuel was recommended and I encountered better winter starting with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5414 posts
1148 upvotes
BC
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 7:39 pm

Or a "magic eye", or a translucent case - definitely a wet cell.
(Don't think presence or absence of vent tube hookup necessarily clinches it. The tube is for venting excess gases, not liquid, so could apply to AGM too but battery makers like to say it's not needed with AGM.)

w204 lifecycle encompassed the years when M-B was migrating to AGM batteries so maybe not out of the question that they boosted alternator output a bit even for a standard battery factory fitment.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12562 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 7:39 pm

Battery from cumpare w204. Cluster did show 14.9-15.1V.......

Vent tube at right of the red + of sticker
67C33D66-0619-4931-A32D-5CE732F41674.jpeg
That’s an AGM battery. Size H7 and has vent holes. W204 uses an AGM battery. I had the same Varta battery on my GLK that I replaced recently to an AGM motomaster eliminator which also hadn’t vent holes. The only thing is that the running voltage on my car is 14.7 -14.8V.

Edit: just compared your cumpare’s battery and I guess it’s not AGM. Forum members on MB world said all Mercedes uses AGM since mid 90s or something. It’s weird to see a w204 with a regular battery. My AGM battery has vent holes.
Apr 4, 2017
401 posts
39 upvotes
No, recommended regular fuel. Its 2011 kia forte lx 2.0L engine.

Itnworks fine in summer. Issue in winter if i leave the car turned off overnight and its cold. I have to revit the gas pedal for it to pickup.

Battery i got was 2 yeara ago. Replaced spark plugs.

Not sure why putting premium gas seems to work propeely.

Time i get chevy volt electric....

hightech wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:18 pm
Does your vehicle require or recommend Premium Fuel? I remember on my 02 Camry V6 that Premium Fuel was recommended and I encountered better winter starting with it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)