[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12257 posts
1128 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 9:14 am
Is there reference here that can determine the proper car battery one should purchase?

I drive a 2013 Subaru Impreza, 2.0L
I just use this online catalogue from Deka: http://www.dekacatalog.com/

Yours is a Group 35. Just find one with the largest CCA and you should be fine :)
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11041 posts
4126 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
Anyone have a list of Costco car battery prices? my car takes a group 75 sized battery. I found a US site which gives battery prices for US Costco stores, but no luck finding a Canadian version.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7327 posts
1140 upvotes
bug wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 12:01 pm
Anyone have a list of Costco car battery prices? my car takes a group 75 sized battery. I found a US site which gives battery prices for US Costco stores, but no luck finding a Canadian version.
https://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/local/ ... tt-can.htm doesnt show the price but shows it has it.

$99.99 In Nov https://imgur.com/a/u7BVo
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1654 posts
490 upvotes
Winnipeg
Toyota Corolla CE 2006

My dash lights and horn are not working. Other things like headlights, high beam, turn indicators, brake lights, heater etc are all working.

So I checked the fuse box and the fuse looks good (not blown). Just to be safe, I even tried swapping the spare with this one. No use.

I read online that it maybe the horn relay. I could locate a square thing by looking at the bottom of the fuse lid, but not sure what to do next? Do I pull it out and do some testing? Replace it and see if things work?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45183 posts
11700 upvotes
Can I use reverse osmosis water to top up the water/electrolyte level or should I stick with distilled water?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8729 posts
3000 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 7:10 am
Can I use reverse osmosis water to top up the water/electrolyte level or should I stick with distilled water?
What really matters is mineral content in the water. So, the answer will vary from system to system as well as the amount of water you are adding - ie a few millilitres shouldn't be a problem but larger quantities with a questionable RO filter, you could have issues. A 3.7 L jug of distilled water will last an average person YEARS so it might not be worth it to use RO water on a regular basis.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28843 posts
2096 upvotes
Winnipeg
craftsman wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:47 pm
There's a lot of threads on the 'net that seem very similar to your issue - try googling 'honda civic 2003 battery light'. A few of the threads out there actually found various solutions (ie - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civ ... s-3019040/).
took to another shop and got it tested, it seems to be an alternator issue, it outputs 143mV AC ripple which the shop mechanics says that is too high. What is the acceptable range of AC ripple from a civic alternator? I looked online and some people say it needs to below 50mV, some say below 70mV, some say below 200mV, it seems all over the place and there is no official spec.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8729 posts
3000 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
divx wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 10:49 pm
took to another shop and got it tested, it seems to be an alternator issue, it outputs 143mV AC ripple which the shop mechanics says that is too high. What is the acceptable range of AC ripple from a civic alternator? I looked online and some people say it needs to below 50mV, some say below 70mV, some say below 200mV, it seems all over the place and there is no official spec.
From what I've read, the level of ripple will really depend on the state of charge of the battery - the lower the state of charge of the battery, the higher the ripple as the alternator tries to charge the battery. And that makes complete sense as charging the battery increases the load on the alternator so the lower the state of charge is, the heavier the load is on the battery creating a larger ripple. In addition, if your electrical system is heavily loaded (ie has a bunch of extra electronics such as dashcam, upgraded stereo...), then you might see a larger ripple as well. This is probably the reason why you are seeing such a variety of answers to the AC ripple question.

So, you should:

1. Check that the battery is fully charged;
2. Turn off or remove excess electrical load (ie lights off, radio off, seat warmers off...) and have the alternator tested again.

Also, since the alternator has been replaced, it should be under warranty for the part.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1628 posts
1145 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Have my car in thier store for an oil change, new tires, and alignment at the moment but need a new battery. I was wondering if the batteries at Active Green & Ross are any good? I'm home now and just checking thier website.

https://www.activegreenross.com/repair- ... /batteries
Below are three vehicle batteries we sell at our Complete Tire & Auto Centres

DieHard GoldDieHard Gold

Extended life design significantly enhances battery performance
Maximum power for starting and electronic accessories
Designed to resist temperature extremes
Superior Maintenance-free performance
Convenient carrying handles

https://www.activegreenross.com/images/ ... tional.jpg
DieHard InternationalDieHard International

Meets European and domestic OE standard for exact fit design
Maximum power for starting and electronic accessories
Superior maintenance-free performance

https://www.activegreenross.com/images/ ... andler.jpg
DieHard Weather HandlerDieHard Weather Handler

High power for starting and electronic accessories
Excellent maintenance-free performance
Convenient carrying handles
How do those batteries compare to other batteries?
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8729 posts
3000 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What makes you think that you need a new battery? Did they just tell you that you do?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1628 posts
1145 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
craftsman wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 2:28 pm
What makes you think that you need a new battery? Did they just tell you that you do?
My battery has 22% life left confirmed by my regular mechanic back in ~Oct or Nov when he put it on the battery tester. I use two different garage shops. I never said Active Green & Ross recommended to me to buy a new battery. I was asking are they any good.

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1628 posts
1145 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Thanks, I am already aware of that thread. Lots of very useful info. Good to print out the battery table as a quick reference.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8729 posts
3000 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 4:09 pm
My battery has 22% life left confirmed by my regular mechanic back in ~Oct or Nov when he put it on the battery tester. I use two different garage shops. I never said Active Green & Ross recommended to me to buy a new battery. I was asking are they any good.
I never said that Active Green & Ross did say that you needed a battery. I just said 'they' meaning people who usually sell batteries recommend batteries.

22% is an odd number especially if you were able to use the battery up-to this point. At 22%, most cars would have troubles starting or even start.

From the picture you provided, the battery looks like it's made by East Penn which is a reasonable manufacturer but it's truly a 'maintenance free battery' in that it's sealed so you can't check the fluid levels or add to them.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45183 posts
11700 upvotes
I just bought two big jugs of ozonated distilled water for $1.29L.

Can't wait to burn myself topping up the two batteries I have. Will AGM batteries (Toyota stock for RAV4H) needed topping up too?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45183 posts
11700 upvotes
Good to know AGM batteries don't need top ups. Going to check the other batteries and top up the distilled water level now. :)

http://roadtreking.com/please-dont-water-agm-batteries/

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/201 ... -batteries

Third, never try to add water to any AGM battery. Not only will this maneuver not rejuvenate an AGM battery, it will ruin the unit by exposing its innards to unwanted outside oxygen.