Automotive

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 11:37 am
Tags:
Mar 31, 2010
34 posts
Hi All,

Will appreciate any feedback and advice.

I have a 2015 civic. Last night after i shut the car down for about 5 minutes and while I was still inside, It wouldn't turn on. I also ntoiced the flickering on the display when turning it on. Called CAA and they did a jumpstart - It initially didn't start but after a little while It did. The CAA person said that the battery needs to be replaced but they couldn't do it at the time since the battery service opens at 7 am or something.

I drove home. called CAA for a new battery this afternoon. Someone came in, tested the old battery saying it was no good and then replaced it with a new CAA battery. After testing the new battery, he said there is an issue with a charge and that the alternator is an issue. He then reinstalled the old battery saying he couldn't sell the new battery because he thinks it's an alternator issue as well as a battery issue.

Long story short - He said that when he did the diagnostic testing on the old battery, the charge was ok (i.e. the alternator was fine) but then doing it a couple of times on the new one, It had issues. with the old battery installed, the car did start but I am hesitant to drive If It's not charging as It might stop.

I wonder what I should do.

Any advice guys? Thanks a bunch.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2822 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
Why don't you take the recommendation and get your charging system tested?
Mar 31, 2010
34 posts
peteryorkuca wrote:
May 13th, 2018 6:12 pm
Why don't you take the recommendation and get your charging system tested?
Should I do that at the dealership? or a canadian tire would do.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8200 posts
1666 upvotes
geniuspaki wrote:
May 13th, 2018 6:16 pm
Don't take your car at canadian tire not even for a wiper blade change. They will find a way to screw something up. RFD'ers don't let RFD'ers use canadian tire auto service
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9983 posts
385 upvotes
Brampton
geniuspaki wrote:
May 13th, 2018 6:16 pm
Any warranty left? Go to dealership if you have any warranty.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Mar 31, 2010
34 posts
cheapmeister wrote:
May 13th, 2018 7:14 pm
Any warranty left? Go to dealership if you have any warranty.
Thanks for the response. I'll call the dealership tomorrow morning to ask. I don't have any extended warranty etc - just the standard 3 year/100,000 km power train warranty. Doubt It'll be covered.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6708 posts
4912 upvotes
Oakville
Ideally you should go to a trusted mechanic. If it's still under warranty then take it to the dealer. But they'll probably just sell you a new overpriced battery and send you on your way.
The basic test is to measure the voltage output of your alternator when charging. Kinda surprised that a 3 year old car could be failing already.
You should take your battery to Partsource/CT and have them load test it to be sure the CAA guy was right. You also might want to pick up an intelligent battery charger to make sure your battery is fully charged.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6708 posts
4912 upvotes
Oakville
If you do need a battery Costco is one of the best places to get one. I've bought them from PartSource before and had no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5433 posts
1162 upvotes
BC
A few critical clues here that some responses seem to have missed:
geniuspaki wrote:
May 13th, 2018 5:55 pm
...... after i shut the car down for about 5 minutes and while I was still inside, It wouldn't turn on. I also ntoiced the flickering on the display when turning it on. Called CAA and they did a jumpstart - It initially didn't start but after a little while It did.

He said that when he did the diagnostic testing on the old battery, the charge was ok (i.e. the alternator was fine) but then doing it a couple of times on the new one, It had issues. ..........
A corroded or slightly loose chassis or engine ground connection is a strong possibility here to explain this intermittent problem.
Particularly as it sounds like you haven't had any other prior warning signs of a dying battery. They should last much longer than 3 years. Similarly alternators. Even in a Honda.

Some other thoughts:

- a contracted CAA guy is not necessarily any better than the average Cdn. Tire employee at diagnosing auto electrics

- Cdn. Tire franchises are as proficient and honest as the franchise owner/manager wants them to be, just like other similar chains, but probably not a good option in this instance

- battery testing is an inexact science

- the dealership service dept. is similar to Cdn. Tire in that you need to have a good relationship with a trustworthy Service Writer or Service Manager that will listen to your described symptoms carefully

- a small independent shop that wants to attract you as a prospective long-term customer is probably your best plan if you are going to have to pay out-of-warranty at the dealership anyway
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8068 posts
2579 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
macnut wrote:
May 15th, 2018 12:28 am
A corroded or slightly loose chassis or engine ground connection is a strong possibility here to explain this intermittent problem.
Particularly as it sounds like you haven't had any other prior warning signs of a dying battery. They should last much longer than 3 years. Similarly alternators. Even in a Honda.
A corroded or loose ground for a 2015 would be as odd as a bad battery or alternator in a Honda but I do agree with you that it's possible especially if there has been any work done on the car recently and they had to disconnect a ground.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12158 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 12:45 pm
Have my car in thier store for an oil change, new tires, and alignment at the moment but need a new battery. I was wondering if the batteries at Active Green & Ross are any good? I'm home now and just checking thier website.

https://www.activegreenross.com/repair- ... /batteries

How do those batteries compare to other batteries?
I have bought a few of their batteries for my cars. No issues at all. They are East Penn Batteries and the same as those from many dealerships, etc.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12158 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
geniuspaki wrote:
May 13th, 2018 5:55 pm
Hi All,

Will appreciate any feedback and advice.

I have a 2015 civic. Last night after i shut the car down for about 5 minutes and while I was still inside, It wouldn't turn on. I also ntoiced the flickering on the display when turning it on. Called CAA and they did a jumpstart - It initially didn't start but after a little while It did. The CAA person said that the battery needs to be replaced but they couldn't do it at the time since the battery service opens at 7 am or something.

I drove home. called CAA for a new battery this afternoon. Someone came in, tested the old battery saying it was no good and then replaced it with a new CAA battery. After testing the new battery, he said there is an issue with a charge and that the alternator is an issue. He then reinstalled the old battery saying he couldn't sell the new battery because he thinks it's an alternator issue as well as a battery issue.

Long story short - He said that when he did the diagnostic testing on the old battery, the charge was ok (i.e. the alternator was fine) but then doing it a couple of times on the new one, It had issues. with the old battery installed, the car did start but I am hesitant to drive If It's not charging as It might stop.

I wonder what I should do.

Any advice guys? Thanks a bunch.
I would go to parts source and have them do a test on the alternator, starter, battery. It is FREE.

If you are handy with a volt meter, check for parasitic drain.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1505 posts
1044 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
hightech wrote:
May 18th, 2018 11:32 am
I would go to parts source and have them do a test on the alternator, starter, battery. It is FREE.

If you are handy with a volt meter, check for parasitic drain.
Where do you check for the parasitic drain? What spots do you check? What readings are you supposed to see that indicate good or bad on each check spot?

Thanks
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.