Wheels and Tires

Car behaving differently after tire change, whats wrong?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2018 3:38 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1487 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto

Car behaving differently after tire change, whats wrong?

Hi,

I have recently changed back to summer tires on my car (as I occasionally drive the car) and I have changed the tires myself for the first time. I had someone else change the summer tires to winter.

Ever since I have change back the tires to summer, my car seems very "stiff" and also notice that when I brake hard, the car is pulling to one side.

The same tires were on the car before I had changed back to Winter tires, and everything was smooth. The problem only started when I had changed the tires back myself to the summer tires.

What could be the issue here? Does it need to be balanced, or aligned again?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1487 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Are the tires on separate rims?
Yes
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Wheel nuts/bolts tightened and torqued correctly ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
booblehead wrote: Wheel nuts/bolts tightened and torqued correctly ?
I suspect that as well, if not done correctly, he should see some vibration on the steering wheel at higher speeds.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Were the wheels balanced and marked before putting them back on?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Re-torque the lug nuts.
Check tire pressure.
Check wheel play.
Check if brakes are dragging.
Sep 26, 2016
152 posts
142 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
I just got similar issue, steering wheel is a bit off after changing tires. It was an alignment issue, had to do wheel alignment
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
Tire pressure might be way off after a winter of storage.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
2 responses so far which would likely be the culprit. Check your tire pressure. Dont go by the side wall but go by whats on the door or the pillar. Often people like to put tires at max PSI which leads to tons of drivability issues.
The other could be lug nuts.....Are they correct type? Are they torqued correctly, is the rim seated on the hub flush?
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
do easy/cheapest 1st and check tire pressure. Odds are the front tire on side to which is pulling is low on air.

Balance air in all 4 tires to same pressure then try it.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1487 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
I had put in the air when I changed the tires, so that should not be an issue.

There might be a "very slight" vibration, but not sure if its an actual vibration, or I am just looking for it....

The one thing I can think of, is that the tires when I put them on, I am not 100% which tire was for which location, so the tires might be put on randomly and not in their previous spot.

Another thing, I am sure I have torqued it correctly....but I can check it again, maybe I tightened the nuts too much? Would that make a difference if they are tightened up too much?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
You NEED a torque wrench. Go to CT or Princess Auto and get one. Loosen the nuts with your wrench, then secure properly with the torque wrench.

Also, it's a bit early to be putting your summer tires on. Most insurance companies require you to keep them on until March 30. Not having them on could void your insurance or result in fraud charges. Also, it often snows before May.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
awaisuk wrote: ..,,,The one thing I can think of, is that the tires when I put them on, I am not 100% which tire was for which location, so the tires might be put on randomly and not in their previous spot.
What kind of car is this?

Some higher end cars have different size tires between the front and back. Others even have different rims between the front and back.

For those cars, front rims/tires and not interchangeable with rear rims/tires. The rims are usually stamped “front only” or “rear only”
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Since no one has mentioned it yet.

All seasons/ Summer tires use different compounds that get very hard when it drops to 0. It's still cold in GTA (relatively speaking)

Winter compounds are designed to stay soft in Sub-zero temps.

Is this your first car? It is isn't it.
May 16, 2013
101 posts
42 upvotes
Hamilton
Do not just torque it to be "tight" or "good".
Get a real torque wrench, open the car manual and find the correct torque spec - tighten it to that.
Over-torquing wheels can really set the car dynamics off and be bad for your breaks.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1487 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
I think I have figured it out, the wrong tires were put on the wrong spot. I will be changing the tires positions soon. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
awaisuk wrote: I think I have figured it out, the wrong tires were put on the wrong spot. I will be changing the tires positions soon. Thanks.
What car do you have? Are your wheels different offset front to rear or are your tires directional?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1487 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: What car do you have? Are your wheels different offset front to rear or are your tires directional?
BMW 535, its a RWD