Automotive

Car doors won't automatically lock upon ignition. How to fix?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 12:30 am
Dec 16, 2013
228 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough

Car doors won't automatically lock upon ignition. How to fix?

I have a 2006 Toyota Corrolla, and upon starting the engine, the car doors won't automatically lock. I have to always remember to lock the doors manually via a button on my driver's side door whenever I start the engine and start driving.

The issue with this is that it's very inconvenient as I'll oftentimes forget, or it's difficult to locate and press the lock button during the night-time hours as there is no illumination on any of the buttons on the side doors.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with an older 2006 model Toyota Corrolla -- do you know if there is an option I can switch on that will enable all the doors to automatically lock upon ignition of the engine? Or is this car "too old" to have such a safety feature?

(This whole issue was brought to my attention tonight as I went out to quickly pick up something at Walmart. As my car was stopped and waiting in the queue for a left turn at an intersection, there was quite a threatening panhandler stumbling about, weaving through the queue of stopped cars and strolling slowly up against the driver's side windows of each car. He seemed drugged up or something. The light wasn't about to turn green anytime soon, so I feared for my safety. I tried to lock my car doors, as they were by default unlocked, but since it was dark out I could not clearly see the "lock button" and found out later that I had pressed the wrong button, and so my doors were unlocked the whole time. I realized this is a huge potential safety issue and that I may not be so lucky next time, so now I'm wondering if there's an "auto-lock" feature for a 2006 Toyota Corrolla that I never knew about before.)
21 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
I was of the understanding that the car doors lock when moving at a certain speed?
Is there not a description of the door locks in the owners manual?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
my mazda, merc and volvo don't automatically lock upon ignition either, i am afraid id fall out of the car at any point
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
I believe Toyta/Lexus lock automatically when car goes in D and unlock when you put it back in P.
I believe you can turn this feature on and off either through a process or in the car computer with an OBD2 reader.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
konsensei wrote: my mazda, merc and volvo don't automatically lock upon ignition either, i am afraid id fall out of the car at any point
Huh? Do you hang onto the door handle while your driving without a seatbelt on? I fail to see how you could fall out.
Or maybe you're just trolling the OP?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
This isn't merica..
Jan 15, 2005
181 posts
25 upvotes
London, Ontario
The 2006 manual for the Corolla is not available at the Toyota Canada site!

Pardon me for trying to help.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17868 upvotes
GTA, ON
durrsak wrote: I believe Toyta/Lexus lock automatically when car goes in D and unlock when you put it back in P.
I believe you can turn this feature on and off either through a process or in the car computer with an OBD2 reader.
My Hyundai does the same. Doors auto lock when put into drive or reverse, but unlocked when in park.

If you want it locked while in park, just manually depress the door lock button.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
hughjarce wrote: The 2006 manual for the Corolla is not available at the Toyota Canada site!

Pardon me for trying to help.
I think that @vkizzle meant the comment from the perspective of the OP’s fear of violence if the doors aren’t locked. Vehicle door locking paranoia originated in the US and a lot of attention is paid to it down there. Not so much of a safety concern here in Canada.
Jan 15, 2005
181 posts
25 upvotes
London, Ontario
Maybe so, but he should clearly indicate what he is referring to.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13098 upvotes
Stop playing GTA OP. There isn't a bunch of people walking around trying to jack your ride.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
I recall that there is an override to prevent the doors from locking. Personally I don't want the doors to lock. Imagine if there is a life saving situation and responders have to open a locked door to get occupants out quickly. A firefighter will have the tools in hand to break glass, but a good samaritan won't.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
will888 wrote: I recall that there is an override to prevent the doors from locking. Personally I don't want the doors to lock. Imagine if there is a life saving situation and responders have to open a locked door to get occupants out quickly. A firefighter will have the tools in hand to break glass, but a good samaritan won't.
I actually carry a glass striker and belt cutter in the Center console of my car.
Dec 1, 2009
301 posts
312 upvotes
My mom's 2007 Corolla and my wife's 2013 Corolla both locks when it is shifted to drive and unlocks when shifted to park.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
vaportech wrote: I actually carry a glass striker and belt cutter in the Center console of my car.
How is that helpful if you are in need of help from a good samaritan?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
liplip wrote: My mom's 2007 Corolla and my wife's 2013 Corolla both locks when it is shifted to drive and unlocks when shifted to park.
This can be bypassed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
will888 wrote: How is that helpful if you are in need of help from a good samaritan?
I dunno, but at least I’ll possibly be that Good Samaritan with that tool.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2372 posts
3008 upvotes
will888 wrote: How is that helpful if you are in need of help from a good samaritan?
If any doors open, the good Samaritan can take the tool and help cut the belts if the occupant is unable to.