• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2018 4:04 pm
[OP]
Jul 8, 2014
272 posts
125 upvotes
AB

Car frequently asks to enter radio code on start

Bought a used Acura CSX about 1 year ago and it hasn't had any mechanical issues, but something seems off with the electric system.

-A few months after I bought it, I was listening to the radio and all of a sudden I heard a loud noise/kind of like a short circuit and the radio turned off. It turned on ok after that, so i kind of ignored it.

-About 5 months ago during the summer, the car would not start in the morning one day. I jump started it, and its been ok since. (it prompted me for the radio code, which is normal on a jump start).

-Recently in the last month or so I notice that when I start the car it will turn on, but sometimes will prompt me to enter the radio code. Prob 5 times this month this has happened.

-A week or so ago, I had the heat on, seat warmer on, and a phone charger plugged in charging my phone, I was idling for about 10 min waiting for a friend and the head lights/radio would intermittently turn off

Any suggestions on what could be the issue? The battery was replaced by the previous owner about 6 months before I replaced it (was given a receipt), however the battery looks to be an off-brand (no brand details on it), so maybe that could be an issue? I also park in a garage during the nights, but outside during work. This is my daily driver, prob 20 min commute each way.

Thanks,
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27575 posts
13501 upvotes
Ottawa
How's the connection at the battery terminals?
[OP]
Jul 8, 2014
272 posts
125 upvotes
AB
I will check tomorrow.

Today I went to grab some take out, and left the car on and idling. My wife the electronics turned off twice intermittently while I was gone.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3488 posts
626 upvotes
Alternator might be failing... check battery is getting 13.5+
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1661 upvotes
Car may have been involved in an accident and moisture penetrating fuse box.