car got keyed. have pic and video evidence. what do

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2018 6:10 am
[OP]
Aug 19, 2009
164 posts
67 upvotes

car got keyed. have pic and video evidence. what do

My car just got keyed on the back left passenger door by some a55ho1e. Got her face front and side on camera, also her car plate. What do I do now? Do I got file a police report? Never filed one before, what do they need? Do they copy the videos from my phone or what?
My car is old and at the end of the day i'm not really losing any sleep over it, but the cut looks kinda deep and so I am a little bit worried about rust forming there. I mainly just want this person to get some form of punishment, a fine maybe. Does police do anything at all if they have the plate and suspect picture?
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
38 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
19443 posts
6811 upvotes
Ottawa
Yup, file a police report and up to you if you want to sue her for damages or file a comprehensive claim.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2009
164 posts
67 upvotes
How can I get her name and address if I sue in small claims? Do i pay a fee to police to get those? never been in court for anything lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
19443 posts
6811 upvotes
Ottawa
ae86fr wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:55 pm
How can I get her name and address if I sue in small claims? Do i pay a fee to police to get those? never been in court for anything lol.
The police would have to provide that, but not until you are ready to file suit.
Sep 29, 2008
884 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
ae86fr wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:26 pm
My car just got keyed on the back left passenger door by some a55ho1e. Got her face front and side on camera, also her car plate. What do I do now? Do I got file a police report? Never filed one before, what do they need? Do they copy the videos from my phone or what?
My car is old and at the end of the day i'm not really losing any sleep over it, but the cut looks kinda deep and so I am a little bit worried about rust forming there. I mainly just want this person to get some form of punishment, a fine maybe. Does police do anything at all if they have the plate and suspect picture?
What did you do to her to make her want to key your car?
[OP]
Aug 19, 2009
164 posts
67 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:58 pm

The police would have to provide that, but not until you are ready to file suit.
Thank you.
amkorp wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:59 pm
What did you do to her to make her want to key your car?
well it was a walmart parking lot. I was looking for a space, and saw a car is backing out of one so I made the turn to pull up behind him to wait for him to pull out. Then while I was trying to do the right turn into the spot I saw there is another car also waiting for the spot but it was completely blocked by the car backing out so I didn't see her at all. Then my cam caught that woman parking her car a little further away, got out, looked around checking for security cameras while walking toward my car with her key in hand, then keyed it. So i guess she thinks i "stole" her spot.
tbh, if I saw her car earlier i woulda left the spot for her.
Sep 29, 2008
884 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
ae86fr wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:25 pm
Thank you.

well it was a walmart parking lot. I was looking for a space, and saw a car is backing out of one so I made the turn to pull up behind him to wait for him to pull out. Then while I was trying to do the right turn into the spot I saw there is another car also waiting for the spot but it was completely blocked by the car backing out so I didn't see her at all. Then my cam caught that woman parking her car a little further away, got out, looked around checking for security cameras while walking toward my car with her key in hand, then keyed it. So i guess she thinks i "stole" her spot.
But you did see her car right? Why not let her have the spot if you knew she was waiting for it?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1794 posts
353 upvotes
amkorp wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:51 pm
But you did see her car right? Why not let her have the spot if you knew she was waiting for it?
Jerk move for sure, whether inadvertent or not. However it's illegal to key someone's car. It's not illegal to take someone's parking space.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
1943 posts
1559 upvotes
Calgary
tim-x wrote:
May 17th, 2018 5:04 pm
Jerk move for sure, whether inadvertent or not. However it's illegal to key someone's car. It's not illegal to take someone's parking space.
This. People have done things to piss me off, and I have done things to piss people off. And I'm sure a lot of us have thoughts of vandalizing the offender's vehicle whether by key or punctured tires, but thankfully, most of us walk on the moral high ground. So we walk or drive away before we do anything regrettably stupid. The lady might be pissed off but it doesn't give her the right to damage your property. Show the police the evidence and see what they say. Chances are, they'll side with you.
Oct 24, 2016
381 posts
241 upvotes
ON
Where’s the video?
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19913 posts
131593 upvotes
GTA
If I saw someone else behind the car, after it cleared my line of sight, I would have just let them take the spot.

This is exactly why I don't really care for searching for a parking spot close to the entrance of the place I am visiting and/or fighting for a parking spot. Too many d-bag vigilantes around nowadays, plus others who just generally show a complete lack of respect for people's property.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1436 posts
311 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
ae86fr wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:25 pm
Thank you.

You contradicted yourself in the bold print. You were too selfish to let the first car have the spot, so your car got vandalized for it.
Never piss off someone with your car when they were there first. You don't know how crazy people can get for little annoyances.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8558 posts
1343 upvotes
兩最大
HotYaris wrote:
May 17th, 2018 6:55 pm
You contradicted yourself in the bold print. You were too selfish to let the first car have the spot, so your car got vandalized for it.
Never piss off someone with your car when they were there first. You don't know how crazy people can get for little annoyances.
Ya, no excuses for the vandal but OP wasn't entirely innocent here. It sucks.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3126 posts
353 upvotes
GTA
F her. Keying someone’s car is never right, even if they did steal your parking spot. OP, doesn’t matter if it’s an old car...plz make sure you report it to police.
Koodo $49 - Unlimited Talk + Text + 6GB x3
Koodo $25 - Unlimited Talk + Text
Fido $19 - 200 Mins Talk + Unlimited E/W after 6PM + Unlimited International Text

AMEX Biz Plat 75K
AMEX Biz Gold 40K

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

woof