Automotive

Car is leaking yellow fluid - what is it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2015 12:19 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Rehan wrote:Wouldn't a coolant leak be only near the front of the car?
I think your coolant was leaking while you were driving to that parking spot. It seems the trace moved along with how your car was turned into the spot. You probably stopped over that big spot before you moved to the final position. Then you turned off the engine.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
gman wrote:I think your coolant was leaking while you were driving to that parking spot. It seems the trace moved along with how your car was turned into the spot. You probably stopped over that big spot before you moved to the final position. Then you turned off the engine.
Nice try, but no. :) The spots appeared after the car was parked there. And I don't get spots dripping off like that while the car is in motion just before bring parked (I've checked in parking lots over the last few days).
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
While shovelling the driveway this morning, I noticed similar stains on a lot of people’s driveways! Could it be some fluid that reacts with the metal and snow to create the unique colour?
Nov 15, 2004
747 posts
2 upvotes
Happened to the same thing with my parent's car a week ago. We put some newspaper under the car. But didn't found any yellow fluid. Not sure what it was.

The car seemed to be fine. No problem yet.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2004
1370 posts
86 upvotes
I have the same problem as U Rehan only not as much, but exactly the way U described it..I went out a second time to c if it was still leaking..When I moved the car from it's original parking spot I noticed that there were small drops, but not as much as the first time..I actually touched it and it was definetly not oily, or greasy, and it really didn't have a smell to it..This is driving me nuts :confused:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
May be the car really wants to take a 'leak'. :cheesygri
Banned
Dec 26, 2004
2987 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga!
gman wrote:May be the car really wants to take a 'leak'. :cheesygri
now thats funny!
I have Vitiligo, it is there, but it is white (it = my eyebrow)

Shadow Dweller
My B/S/T:
Antenna 4 Sale: [URL]http://redfla
Mar 8, 2012
1 posts
So I have the same exact car and it's leaking a golden brown color and the reason I say golden is because it was noticeable in a puddle... My car is JUST sitting under 110 thousand kms and it seems to be leaking by the passengers side. I checked out my dipstick and nothing will register. I just had my alternator replaced about a month ago.... They haven't mentioned any leaking oil or anything. What should I do?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
16529 posts
2215 upvotes
Thornhill
Whoa, I saw Peterbrowne's name, thread is 7 years old :P

I'd consider taking it to a mechanic instead of asking a public forum.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6119 posts
979 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
missworth92 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2012 11:15 pm
So I have the same exact car and it's leaking a golden brown color and the reason I say golden is because it was noticeable in a puddle... My car is JUST sitting under 110 thousand kms and it seems to be leaking by the passengers side. I checked out my dipstick and nothing will register. I just had my alternator replaced about a month ago.... They haven't mentioned any leaking oil or anything. What should I do?

After 7 years Missworth92, its safe to say you would have been allowed to start a new thread. :)

Im sure some of the auto gurus here will have some ideas for you though.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2819 posts
174 upvotes
missworth92 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2012 11:15 pm

Does that mean you dont see a level on your dipstick? if so you might've found your problem
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
i say coolant but if you can bring it inside the garage and jack it up and look for the leak is a plan.
Jun 20, 2012
10 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I hope you haven't wasted your time and energy on this one. Check this article out before going above and beyond : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... cle621975/. To sum it up, it is zinc when oxidized creates bright yellow crystal from the galvanized steel exhaust pipes. Salt with water acts as a catalyst. When the hot pipe melt the snow, it creates a yellow substance.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Lol. Flashback from the past.
I've since sold the car and I never did anything about those spots.

But this problem was before I had a jack and ramps... If I had the same problem now, the first thing I would do is get underneath and take a closer look myself. :)
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
× < >