Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
86 upvotes
oshawa

car rental insurance

my insurance company changes 26$ for rental car insurance for the year. My TD Visa card covers rental insurnace but i dont know how to differentiate the policy details. does any one have knowledge if i should use my td visa insurance or my personal insurance company rental insurance ;)
i am renting from enterprise in orlando this chrismas and any ideas will be useful
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10526 upvotes
Typically your credit card will only cover damages to the rental vehicle itself - it will not cover damages to other people or objects. For example, if you hit a light post the credit card will cover the damages to your vehicle but not the damages to the light post.

For example, my TD First Class states: Check with your personal automobile insurer and the rental agency to ensure that you and all other drivers have adequate third party libility, personal injury and damage to property coverage. This policy only covers loss or damage to the rental vehicle as stipulated herein.
(yes, it is bolded in the pamphlet)

Many provinces/states have minimum levels of third party liability coverage that must be provided, however if you are relying on that you should look into it further to ensure it applies to you and you are comfortable with the limits within it.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, you should call up your credit card company and discuss with them. They are the most knowledgeable in relation to your policy and can answer all your questions. I find their wait times are shorter because you are not dealer with the credit card agent - but someone who deals with that specific type of insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9535 posts
3184 upvotes
Credit cards don't cover liabiltiy

Whether liability is an issue depends on where it it. In Canada all the rental companies have to provide liability with the rental of at least the minimum amount required by the province. Regardless of that, in some provinces including ON, IF the renter has their own auto policy, that is the liability coverage for the rental

The issue is places outside of Canada where the rental doesn't necessarily come with liability, or as in many states it does at such a low amount it might as well not, and the rental co will want to charge an extra fee for coverage. You need to either make sure you own auto policy is covering liability on a rental, or buy it from the rental co. You do not need collision from your insurer if your credit card has it
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1065 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax
as mentioned the credit card insurance only covers the rental car and not damage or injury to anyone else.

Also for that extra $26 a year from your own insurance you are getting "Liability for Damage to Non-Owned Automobiles", coverage protects you if you damage a car or trailer that you rent or borrow.