Personal Finance

car rental insurance & health insurance offered by AMEX cards - good value?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2016 11:28 am
Tags:
None
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER

car rental insurance & health insurance offered by AMEX cards - good value?

I don't own a car and on occasion, I'll take a trip to the States for some cross border shopping. I'll rent a car and I always get the LDW coverage from the rental company. (no accidents to date)
AMEX offers car rental theft and damage protection up to MSRP of $85K and a maximum of $5 million in medical insurance. (the number of days depends on the type of card from what I've read)
I buy additional travel insurance from Pacific Blue Cross when I travel and thankfully, I've never had to use it. (they provide up $5 million in medical insurance as well)

I've read caveats about the insurance/health protection offered by credit card companies.

Thoughts? Should I continue getting LDW coverage with rental cars and purchasing travel insurance from my PBC?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6265 upvotes
Premium credit cards offer a bunch of insurance on unlimited trips per year, including travel emergency medical and car rental. Get a good card (not limited to AMEX) to save money on travel insurance.

However, you do need to buy liability coverage from the car rental company. No credit card will cover this.
Oct 16, 2014
225 posts
154 upvotes
Moncton, NB
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote: I buy additional travel insurance from Pacific Blue Cross when I travel and thankfully, I've never had to use it. (they provide up $5 million in medical insurance as well)
Just because you have two policies of $5M, that doesn't mean you have $10M coverage…
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
EdisonL299 wrote: Premium credit cards offer a bunch of insurance on unlimited trips per year, including travel emergency medical and car rental. Get a good card (not limited to AMEX) to save money on travel insurance.

However, you do need to buy liability coverage from the car rental company. No credit card will cover this.
Meaning third party liability? Yes, I always get that coverage.
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
hyacinthe wrote: Just because you have two policies of $5M, that doesn't mean you have $10M coverage…
Yes, I realize that. I should have re-phrased it better to ask if I should go with AMEX for health insurance instead of purchasing it from PBC.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6265 upvotes
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote: Meaning third party liability? Yes, I always get that coverage.
Yes. Go get third party liability from the car rental company, and you premium credit card will cover all other stuff. No hassle, no worries and save money! :D
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
EdisonL299 wrote: Yes. Go get third party liability from the car rental company, and you premium credit card will cover all other stuff. No hassle, no worries and save money! :D
Thanks EdisonL299, you rock!! :D
Nov 3, 2010
101 posts
how costly is the third party liability insurance premium if I am renting a car for 2 weeks?
Apr 28, 2012
964 posts
345 upvotes
QC
EdisonL299 wrote: Premium credit cards offer a bunch of insurance on unlimited trips per year, including travel emergency medical and car rental. Get a good card (not limited to AMEX) to save money on travel insurance.

What happens if I damage someone else's car or property with my rental car ? I don't own a car, thus I don't have a car insurance policy. Will cc LDW cover this ? Is it covered by my driver's license no-fault ? Residence province is Quebec

Isn't the rental agency obliged to cover their cars with third party liability insurance ?