Automotive

Car repair advice - Dealer did not fix my car, what are my option?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 6:35 pm
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
458 posts
167 upvotes

Car repair advice - Dealer did not fix my car, what are my option?

Hi,

First of all let me say I'm not use to Garage/Dealer and repair, so I'm looking for advice here.

I have a Infiniti JX35 2013 out of warranty. The car is doing great, with one exeption that started this summer. A road noise started and I was not sure what the problem (tires, bearing etc.)
Noise doesn't feel related to rpm, but more to speed.

So today I went to the Infiniti dealer to have this fix.
So here is my day:
- I bring my winter tire to have them installed
- they tell me to diagnose the noise issue its 1 hr. I argue a little.. But ok lets go.
- they call me back at work: They found the problem! Hurray! Its a Bearing on a front wheel. 580 to have it fix.... Hmmm expensive... I don't know... Not an expert but Ok do it.
- Call me back 20min later: to change the bearing, they need to remove an ABS sensors, and its stuck.. There is a big chance it breaks. Its 380 to change it...I'm a little angry... I told them I brought my car to the Infiniti Dealer... Not the canadian tire and to fix it without breaking it.. Pr we will escalate to manager....
- call me back 40 min later... They broke it :( ... But manager his giving me 10% on the Abs sensor... 38$ and 10% on the Billed Time (20$).. Argue a little..
- so I go pick my car, and finally grt a 10% on the whole bill...and pay a grand total of 1050$

Its expensive... But I never went to the garage with this car so I would be ok with it.... But it turn out the problem his not fixed.. I still hear the exact same road noise.

I feel like I paid all of that for nothing.... I'm gonna call them first thing in the morning... But I'm scare to bring the car back to the dealer and have to pay for other stuff.. Should I pay more? Is there any guarantee that there work should fix the issues???

Is there anything that protect the customers? I'm in Qc btw if it change anything.

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10341 posts
2619 upvotes
Markham
1. You should have authorized the repair before they work on the car.
2. Should go to another independent garage to fix a out of warranty car. You will save tons of money and better outcome on the repair.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3041 posts
571 upvotes
Not much you can do.
Find few different mechanics and alternate between them.
Dealerships are rip of. They probably broke your abs sensor and blame it on Infinity.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9385 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You need to go t oa good independent mechanic. It will cost less.

What area do you live in? Maybe somebody can provide a suggestion for a good mechanic.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33525 posts
7537 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure why you expect things to be in good condition and rust free on a 6 year old (unknown mileage) car that operates in a salt laden environment. Things rust, stick and break.
Are you sure the noise is the same? Winter tires are noisy.
Diagnosis takes time and time is money and you will be charged for that time.
A dealer repair will definitely cost more as the labour rates (a possibly the parts too) are higher than an independent but, you can easily have the same situation with a independent shop. Not sure what protection you are thinking of? Protection of what? Parts not rusting? Parts not breaking? Having to pay for labour? Maybe for misdiagnosis?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14212 posts
3554 upvotes
London
To check for wheel bearing noises, find a couple of long curves or freeway on ramps. You need one that curves left and another that curves right where you can drive at speed

When you go around the long curve, does the noise change (vs going straight at the same speed) ? This is because the weight shifts on the bad bearing. If it happens on the left hand curve, the bad bearing is on the left, If it happens on the right, the bad bearing is likely on the right side
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2457 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto, ON
l69norm wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 10:45 am
To check for wheel bearing noises, find a couple of long curves or freeway on ramps. You need one that curves left and another that curves right where you can drive at speed

When you go around the long curve, does the noise change (vs going straight at the same speed) ? This is because the weight shifts on the bad bearing. If it happens on the left hand curve, the bad bearing is on the left, If it happens on the right, the bad bearing is likely on the right side
Oh boy, OP should have just came on RFD first to see suggestions of what the problem can be before going to the stealershops.

OP, if you just recently got this repair done and not satisfied then go back to the dealer and ask for them to look at it again. They charged you for labour and parts for the problem, but apparently the problem is not fixed. Next recourse, is to hop on Google and write a bad review, then BBB, then to the president of the dealership or owner, and last but not least, to the media (because apparently they are just waiting for hot news like this). No lie!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28834 posts
14637 upvotes
Ottawa
Considering you're out of warranty, you should have gone to Nissan, as the labor rate is less.
Nov 7, 2017
136 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 12:39 pm
Considering you're out of warranty, you should have gone to Nissan, as the labor rate is less.
A stealership is still a stealership..

That being said, you should go to an independent mechanic since it's out of warranty
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2014 posts
493 upvotes
Montreal
With a car getting older like that you need to have a good independent mechanic.

Could probably have changed the bearings on both sides for that price.

I changed the front bearings on my car a few months ago (Nissan) and yes it's true, there was no way the ABS sensors were coming out in one piece.
Only thing is look it up online, the sensors are cheap.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16917 posts
4605 upvotes
Toronto
Stealership. Probably didn't even fix the items they charged you for.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3515 posts
487 upvotes
Waterloo
grisensko wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 10:29 pm
Hi,

First of all let me say I'm not use to Garage/Dealer and repair, so I'm looking for advice here.

I have a Infiniti JX35 2013 out of warranty. The car is doing great, with one exeption that started this summer. A road noise started and I was not sure what the problem (tires, bearing etc.)
Noise doesn't feel related to rpm, but more to speed.

So today I went to the Infiniti dealer to have this fix.
So here is my day:
- I bring my winter tire to have them installed
- they tell me to diagnose the noise issue its 1 hr. I argue a little.. But ok lets go.
- they call me back at work: They found the problem! Hurray! Its a Bearing on a front wheel. 580 to have it fix.... Hmmm expensive... I don't know... Not an expert but Ok do it.
- Call me back 20min later: to change the bearing, they need to remove an ABS sensors, and its stuck.. There is a big chance it breaks. Its 380 to change it...I'm a little angry... I told them I brought my car to the Infiniti Dealer... Not the canadian tire and to fix it without breaking it.. Pr we will escalate to manager....
- call me back 40 min later... They broke it :( ... But manager his giving me 10% on the Abs sensor... 38$ and 10% on the Billed Time (20$).. Argue a little..
- so I go pick my car, and finally grt a 10% on the whole bill...and pay a grand total of 1050$

Its expensive... But I never went to the garage with this car so I would be ok with it.... But it turn out the problem his not fixed.. I still hear the exact same road noise.

I feel like I paid all of that for nothing.... I'm gonna call them first thing in the morning... But I'm scare to bring the car back to the dealer and have to pay for other stuff.. Should I pay more? Is there any guarantee that there work should fix the issues???

Is there anything that protect the customers? I'm in Qc btw if it change anything.

Thanks
Last I had an issue like this I took it back to the dealership, they fixed the issue with 30% off on parts and free labour. ( in my case was rear suspension links , First time they replaced the lower control arms, but issue wasnt resolved, so they changed the upper ones with the 30% off anf labor for free. It was a Ford dealership not Nissan tho )

You can ask for something like this since they charged for the diagnosis. If they misdiagnosed it then its their fault.

p.s: I think this would have cost around $500 at a aftermarket ship.
----
Pay it forward.