Automotive

car rumbling and vibrating in reverse gear?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2019 1:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto

car rumbling and vibrating in reverse gear?

earlier today i put my auto transmission in reverse and the car started rumbling hard and vibrating. When i applied gas, the rumbling stopped, but once i applied the brakes and the car was stopped or nearly stopping, it would rumble again. The car seems fine in idle, neutral or drive. I drove for about 40kms afterwards and tried going in reverse again. The same problem occurred. It was only until a couple of hours ago that it stopped doing that. Could it be a problem with the tranny? motor mount? torque convertor? or maybe i messed up the tranny when I was trying to get out of snow yesterday. I was putting the car back and forth in drive and reverse all day in the snow storm.

90,000 km mazda 3
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
trixstar wrote: earlier today i put my auto transmission in reverse and the car started rumbling hard and vibrating. When i applied gas, the rumbling stopped, but once i applied the brakes and the car was stopped or nearly stopping, it would rumble again. The car seems fine in idle, neutral or drive. I drove for about 40kms afterwards and tried going in reverse again. The same problem occurred. It was only until a couple of hours ago that it stopped doing that. Could it be a problem with the tranny? motor mount? torque convertor? or maybe i messed up the tranny when I was trying to get out of snow yesterday. I was putting the car back and forth in drive and reverse all day in the snow storm.

90,000 km mazda 3
If its ok now it could of been ice and snow buildup on the halfshafts.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Is this a consistent problem, recently developed or just a one off and it is OK now?
Could be the fluid? Have you checked it?
Filter?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Snow packed into the front of the wheel wells.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Snow packed into the wheel wells.
^ would probably be the most common reason.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
it's recent.. i've never had that problem before, but maybe that's because there hasn't been a snow storm this bad since I got the car. If it was snow packed into the wheel wells, wouldn't it have have shaken off? I was going around 100-110 kmph for a good 40 kms or so.
Nov 23, 2012
95 posts
99 upvotes
SUDBURY
Check tranny fluid, low fluid will cause ur engine to drop rpms when switching into reverse or drive from park.... Has ur battery died? Some cars need to re-learn the driving habits after a dead battery or a battery disconnect..... Varys with model and brand of car of course
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
trixstar wrote: it's recent.. i've never had that problem before, but maybe that's because there hasn't been a snow storm this bad since I got the car. If it was snow packed into the wheel wells, wouldn't it have have shaken off? I was going around 100-110 kmph for a good 40 kms or so.
You are correct in your assumptions. I did not give credence to those that mentioned snow in the wheels or wheel wells (or half shafts :facepalm :) because of the distance and time you drove the car.
You did not mention the type of car or its age, there may be an age or wear related reason (solenoid stuck or band slipping).
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: You are correct in your assumptions. I did not give credence to those that mentioned snow in the wheels or wheel wells (or half shafts :facepalm :) because of the distance and time you drove the car.
You did not mention the type of car or its age, there may be an age or wear related reason (solenoid stuck or band slipping).
its a 2011 mazda 3 with 90,000 kms. I think I may have worn down something in the tranny by shifting into drive and reverse all day yesterday. Are the components inside the automatic transmission replaceable or do i have to buy new tranny? Im just figuring out the cost of a worst case scenario.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
its the snow and ice buildup. Had the same issue on my car today. scrap off the ice and snow and you are fine. sometimes it also makes that rub sound when your rotors are wet.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
trixstar wrote: its a 2011 mazda 3 with 90,000 kms. I think I may have worn down something in the tranny by shifting into drive and reverse all day yesterday. Are the components inside the automatic transmission replaceable or do i have to buy new tranny? Im just figuring out the cost of a worst case scenario.
I wouldn't jump the gun on this yet. Before you blame anything, find out if this continues or if it is just moisture in the electrics or air path or some other temporary anomaly.
If it really does continue, get a diagnostic done or change the fluid. Lots of things that can and should be done or checked before you change the transmission LOL.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
azncapcom wrote: its the snow and ice buildup. Had the same issue on my car today. scrap off the ice and snow and you are fine. sometimes it also makes that rub sound when your rotors are wet.
Same here...had some atypical noises & vibrations when starting to drive after the car sat out the storm for a few days...chalked it up to the ice & snow.

Sure enough .....after about 15 minutes of highway driving yesterday..all was back to normal. :)
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
this is what you get from highway driving, you are better bringing in the car in a heated garage to melt the ice/snow buildup.

[IMG]http://gi41.photobucket.com/groups/e260 ... C_0046.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://gi41.photobucket.com/groups/e260 ... C_0045.jpg[/IMG]
Selling a new never installed or used Edelbrock turbo kit #1500, but lowballers and buyers offering ridiculous 500 bucks for it.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-edel ... s-1151134/So now it is installed and in my civic :)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
So only in reverse? Is it only when the car is moving or does it also happen when you have it in reverse and are holding the brake? In the latter case, this would have nothing to do with ice and snow. If there were a problem with the torque converter it should happen in a forward gear as well, so I'm thinking there's something else wrong. At 90k kms you're out of warranty I'm guessing, so hopefully it's not too serious. However auto trans usually don't have cheap fixes. Plus if it's an internal problem, even if it's something relatively minor, the cost of dropping the trans and putting it back in, is going to be somewhat steep :(

If the problem has stopped you may be in luck, however, with no permanent damage done. If you overheated the trans rocking it in the snow, it may have gone into protection/abuse mode where some things will not appear to work right. In some cases the MIL will light if this occurs, in some cases it won't so if you didn't see the MIL come on that doesn't mean the car didn't go into abuse mode to protect the trans. I'd just keep an eye (and ear) on it the next few days...hopefully it doesn't pop up again.
Dec 7, 2005
263 posts
54 upvotes
Pickering
Ok since this is happening when you shift into reverse and not moving I am going to guess you damaged a motor/tranny mount yesterday when you were rocking your car in the snow ( to your point about shifting from drive to reverse a lot yesterday) The basic premise is that when you shift into reverse the torsional pressure on your mounts is different than when in drive and perhaps the vibrations were transferred to the chassis due to a broken / damaged mount. After driving for a bit the engine tranny could have shifted back into position. Have someone eyeball the three mounts while you shift from drive to reverse and back. If one is broken they should be able to identify which one pretty quick.
Dec 8, 2006
627 posts
334 upvotes
Scarborough
Happened to me today on the highway, car vibrating like mad anytime I went over 80km/hour. I exited and had a car wash...problem solved!
Jul 2, 2019
1 posts
Hello I recently had the same problem I have a 2011 Kia Soul I live in California drove the car to Vegas and back when I got back I noticed the car was making a very loud noise when pressed on the brakes a crazy you vibration loud noise after further examining the car I noticed it only did that in reverse and drive when I press on the brakes when I pressed on the gas pedal everything was fine when I got it home I looked under the hood to see what was going on and noticed the motor was rocking back and forth badly every time I pressed on the brakes when the car was in reverse or in Drive but it would not do it when pressing on the gas so I change two of the motor mounts and it's still doing the same thing the other motor mount is fine what else can cause this problem then yes transmission fluid is fine as well

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)