• Apr 24th, 2017 1:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 26, 2007
144 posts
2 upvotes

Car seat for granma car

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a child (18 month now) seat for Grandma's car. Extremely rare use, perhaps once a month, travel distance ~ 15 km one way (max).

What are the cheapest options for it? Would be just Walmart dot ca (or else?) for ~ 90 CAD?
Province - ON.
Thanks in advance.
9 replies
Nov 13, 2013
611 posts
213 upvotes
Yeah the Walmart is about the cheapest unless you have a local store that sells floor models.
18 months is a tricky age. You can probably buy a forward facing seat depending on the size of your child.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14571 posts
3900 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not going to judge, but going the "cheap" option because it's grandma's car that is seldomly use; is skewed thinking.
The same risk is there regardless if grandma's car is not used all the time to drive your kid.
Jun 26, 2007
449 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
If your child can do forward facing, Harmony Defender 360 is pretty decent. It has good safety ratings and price is reasonable. If you still prefer backward facing, then of course this one wouldn't be appropriate.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/harmony-de ... 0194057097

At first I got this as spare car seat also, but now I actually use this as main booster seat.
Jan 27, 2015
857 posts
296 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 11:32 am
I'm not going to judge, but going the "cheap" option because it's grandma's car that is seldomly use; is skewed thinking.
The same risk is there regardless if grandma's car is not used all the time to drive your kid.
And that risk is blown way out of proportion.

Few genuine questions: what car does the grandma drive? Is she a good driver? Does she drive on highways, or would the ~15 km be mostly in the city?

Growing up in the '80s, we did not have car seats and the rear passengers didn't even wear seatbelts.

Lastly, ALL car seats (irrespective of their price) have to meet a set safety standard. Which means, going the "cheap" route doesn't mean you will automatically be less safe.

You can buy a good convertible car seat for about $130 from Wal Mart.
Nov 24, 2014
49 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'd recommend Cosco Scenera. (available at walmart)
does rear and forward facing, and also very light so can be easily used for travel (air) and easy to move/remove by gramma.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2007
144 posts
2 upvotes
Dear All,

Your feedback and advise are highly appreciated, and thanks to everyone for contribution.
Jul 5, 2004
22135 posts
2058 upvotes
Stick to rear facing until your child can no longer fit in a rear facing seat. Children that age are safer in a rear facing seat.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6289 posts
285 upvotes
GT'eh
Shaner wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:42 am
Stick to rear facing until your child can no longer fit in a rear facing seat. Children that age are safer in a rear facing seat.
Great advice, I would also add this bit of advice I got from kidde proofers and many car seat installers. If installing a seat in another car, ensure sure its the same facing direction as main car seat,
its not a good idea to have 1 fwd facing and 1 rear. This can lead to meltdowns and children usually preferring fwd facing over rear. So car seat facing should be consistent.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN