• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2018 5:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 23, 2017
749 posts
237 upvotes

car seat/stroller. So many options....

So I am just researching the best car seat and stroller combo for our child that is coming in about 7 months. I am just looking now into what is involved and what are the best options. Obviously we do not want to fully break the bank as we are on a budget, but we want to get something safe and easy to use/light as possible within our budget. As far as budget goes, I do not know how much the whole thing will cost but we do not want to keep it under $500-$600 (this might be unrealistic but I do not know)

I see some other posts that say that it is cheaper to buy the seats in stages instead of a convertible seat. also I saw that some people say to buy a stroller separate and not a travel system or whatever its called. UGH. There are so many options and I do not know where to start.

Any suggestions would be helpful
Got that Zoomer account!
50 replies
Apr 9, 2004
328 posts
57 upvotes
London
It is a hard choice. I've actually never bought a travel system and always have bought my pieces separately. With my last child I opted for a decent stroller (previous discontinued model + ebates), and then purchased a compatible infant car seat which happened to go on a flash sale on Amazon then a car seat adapter and was around $350 all in for a Baby Jogger Versa + KeyFit.

Certain infant car seats are not known to fit newborns well either because they push the child's head forward (which can impede a newborn's airway) or not have harness positions low enough to fit the average newborn. Check reviews of the seats done by car seat technicians. Try it in your car before you buy as well to make sure it fits (especially if you drive something compact or sporty). I'd also suggest pushing the stroller around too, practice folding. Make sure it fits in your trunk or hatch and that is compatible with the car seat you purchase (you may need an adapter).
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1744 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd definitely purchase a standalone Infant car seat for a baby. You do NOT want to be unbuckling/buckling a sleeping baby into and out of car seats....that's CRAZY talk!

As for stroller combos, for that budget, i'd probably look at the Britax B-agile car seat/stroller travel system. My sister who is due next month just bought one. Personally, I've had 2 britax car seats for infants and they are heavier than others, but they do the job very well and are extremely easy to install and very safe.

For strollers, contrary to what people say, you do not need a $1000+ stroller. I've had a City Mini GT for 6+ years that we bought for $399 and it folds up, is lightweight, no issues. It's no different than the uppababys, stokkes, etc. other than the "name brand" value.

As long as you don't buy a $20 umbrella stroller from Walmart, you'l be good. A large single front rubber wheel, a bit of shocks and you should be good for many years.

I don't see a problem with buying a car seat separate from the stroller -> as long as you confirm that they are compatible with each other. But do be cautioned, that "compatiblility" means different things. For the first 3 years, my Britax infant car seat fit into the City Mini GT but using a somewhat precarious looking car seat mounting adapter. 3 years later they released a proper car seat adapter for my car seat/stroller but it was OOS everywhere and hard to find........a travel system just makes things easier.

My stroller set up has been:

Baby #1: Britax Chaperone (infant car seat) + City Mini GT
Baby #2: Britax B-Safe Ultra (infant car seat) + City Mini GT
Last edited by jandumm on Aug 16th, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4735 posts
766 upvotes
Mississauga
infant car seat .. most popular imo is the chicco keyfit 30.... you can't go wrong with this.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10503 posts
3217 upvotes
Toronto
please search before posting a new thread on every topic that comes to mind...you are 7 months away afterall and I would bet the majority of the questions have already been answered.

Case in point:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/help-de ... 2176239/3/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/please- ... n-2140373/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/recomme ... y-2033778/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/suggest ... s-1982505/

baby-strollers-what-buy-1218117/

baby-stroller-1320955/
[OP]
May 23, 2017
749 posts
237 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 11:38 am
please search before posting a new thread on every topic that comes to mind...you are 7 months away afterall and I would bet the majority of the questions have already been answered.

Case in point:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/help-de ... 2176239/3/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/please- ... n-2140373/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/recomme ... y-2033778/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/suggest ... s-1982505/

baby-strollers-what-buy-1218117/

baby-stroller-1320955/
Thanks, I did search and read through some of the threads. it seems to me that car seats and strollers are like cars and change from year to year. I just want the most up to date info.

The infant car seat is about $300, it will only be used for a few months, is it worth it?
Got that Zoomer account!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10027 posts
15880 upvotes
Scarborough
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 11:42 am
The infant car seat is about $300, it will only be used for a few months, is it worth it?
You can get one for much less than that and I personally used ours for a lot longer than a few months. Babies sleep a lot and just the convenience of being able to pop them in/out of the car while still in the seat is worth the price alone IMO.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
May 23, 2017
749 posts
237 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 11:29 am
infant car seat .. most popular imo is the chicco keyfit 30.... you can't go wrong with this.
there is a recall / Safety Advisory on this right now
Last edited by riseagainstthemachine on Aug 16th, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got that Zoomer account!
[OP]
May 23, 2017
749 posts
237 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 11:51 am
You can get one for much less than that and I personally used ours for a lot longer than a few months. Babies sleep a lot and just the convenience of being able to pop them in/out of the car while still in the seat is worth the price alone IMO.
ok so what I am trying to figure out is what I need.

1. Infant car seat
2. stroller that will fit said infant car seat
3. car seat for the child when its older that fits the stroller.

Is this all that I need? What should I be looking for first then, buying a travel system and then finding a infant car seat that fits that stroller system or the other way around?
Got that Zoomer account!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10027 posts
15880 upvotes
Scarborough
Aug 16th, 2018 11:54 am
ok so what I am trying to figure out is what I need.

1. Infant car seat

Is this all that I need? What should I be looking for first then, buying a travel system and then finding a infant car seat that fits that stroller system or the other way around?
Don't worry about the car seat for when they outgrow the infant car seat until closer to the time you'd want to make the switch.

Personally I'd pick the stroller you want to get first. Try a few out in store if you can. Then ask what adapters for infant car seats are available for it and pick up a compatible infant car seat. I personally went with a Britax infant car seat and a Baby Jogger stroller.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
749 posts
237 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 11:59 am
Don't worry about the car seat for when they outgrow the infant car seat until closer to the time you'd want to make the switch.

Personally I'd pick the stroller you want to get first. Try a few out in store if you can. Then ask what adapters for infant car seats are available for it and pick up a compatible infant car seat. I personally went with a Britax infant car seat and a Baby Jogger stroller.
ok great thanks, this is good advice. i just need a starting point as to what we need first ect. Thanks for that
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1744 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
Aug 16th, 2018 11:54 am
1. Infant car seat
Before the baby comes, you need 1) because you have to have a way to get it home from the hospital.

Having 2) before baby comes is useful so you can get out and about.

3) does not exist. You won't need to upgrade to this seat until the baby outgrows the height/weight limit of the infant car seat - anywhere (on average) between 10 months - 2 years. The car seat after the infant car seat remains permanently in the car - does not get affixed to the stroller.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
749 posts
237 upvotes
jandumm wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 12:26 pm
Before the baby comes, you need 1) because you have to have a way to get it home from the hospital.

Having 2) before baby comes is useful so you can get out and about.

3) does not exist. You won't need to upgrade to this seat until the baby outgrows the height/weight limit of the infant car seat - anywhere (on average) between 10 months - 2 years. The car seat after the infant car seat remains permanently in the car - does not get affixed to the stroller.
Ah ok, I didnt know the third part. I was assuming because I saw these travel systems, I thought the seat popped on and off of the stroller. I went to babies r us and looked at a few and they say convertible seat and stroller and it looks like it fits on the stroller and then you can take it off of there and put in the car.
Got that Zoomer account!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10027 posts
15880 upvotes
Scarborough
Aug 16th, 2018 12:29 pm
Ah ok, I didnt know the third part. I was assuming because I saw these travel systems, I thought the seat popped on and off of the stroller. I went to babies r us and looked at a few and they say convertible seat and stroller and it looks like it fits on the stroller and then you can take it off of there and put in the car.
They're just bundling up the car seat with a stroller in those cases. As jandumm mentioned the car seat you use after an infant car seat stays in your car. Convertible ones grow with your child so you can use it throughout different stages in their development.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1744 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
Aug 16th, 2018 12:29 pm
"Convertible" has different meanings...

A convertible car seat is one that can go from rear facing for smaller kids then turns to front facing <- it does not attach to a stroller and is permanently installed in car
A convertible stroller can convert from a single stroller to a double stroller OR is called convertible because it can "convert" into a travel system.

So you can have a "convertible stroller" that is part of a travel system that comes with the infant car seat - which you can take in and out of the car and attach it to stroller without having to remove the child.