Parenting & Family

car seat/stroller. So many options....

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2018 5:07 pm
Tags:
Dec 25, 2016
1 posts
Canada
Definitely recommend getting a separate infant carseat. As someone mentioned, you don't want to have to wake up a sleeping baby.

We bought the Peg Perego which we used for both of our kids. Very sturdy.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1684 posts
769 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 11:52 am
there is a recall / Safety Advisory on this right now
Nothing too concerning. The concern is with one of the 3 ways you can install the car seat, and for that they are sending a retrofit kit. the other 2 ways to install the seat are still fine. Also, there is no recall. It is still a very good infant seat.
P.S. I bought this when it was on sale last December, for 250 plus tax.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ch ... 53730.aspx?
[OP]
May 23, 2017
753 posts
237 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 2:45 pm
Nothing too concerning. The concern is with one of the 3 ways you can install the car seat, and for that they are sending a retrofit kit. the other 2 ways to install the seat are still fine. Also, there is no recall. It is still a very good infant seat.
P.S. I bought this when it was on sale last December, for 250 plus tax.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ch ... 53730.aspx?
wow thats a really good deal. was it a boxing day sale or something? Do these type of things usually go on sale?
Got that Zoomer account!
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
I know some people don't feel comfortable with used infant seats, but I'm very happy I borrowed one. A close friend of mine offered to lend me hers, I completely trust her, I made sure there were no recalls, and we were good to go for the first 3.5 months and then switched to a convertible seat for the next 6 years. My babies seem to put on weight exponentially in the first few months, so by 4 months, they were past the weight limit. I wish I could have easily moved my sleeping babies in their infant seats, but they were just too heavy to lug around. You never know, your babies might grow fast too.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1684 posts
769 upvotes
Aug 16th, 2018 3:53 pm
wow thats a really good deal. was it a boxing day sale or something? Do these type of things usually go on sale?
Yeah, it was during the boxing day. All major manufactures had similar deals during black Friday as well. Given you still have a lot of time, I would suggest waiting for Nov/Dec. You can easily get a stroller/infant seat combo in the range of 300$. Babies usually outgrow infant seat in 12-18 months. So you could get a 3 in 1 car seat during next black friday /boxing day sale, which will be another 200$ during sale. The original stroller will still be good for use.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4736 posts
766 upvotes
Mississauga
i am aware but it doesn't bother me... many things have recalls... majority has either the chicco or the britsx
May 21, 2012
159 posts
114 upvotes
Burlington
dbl0seven wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 2:21 pm
Definitely recommend getting a separate infant carseat. As someone mentioned, you don't want to have to wake up a sleeping baby.

We bought the Peg Perego which we used for both of our kids. Very sturdy.
The Peg Perego infant seat often does not fit newborns well (head goes chin-to-chest which is a problem for newborns for breathing). It does fit some babies, but you won't know until the baby is here. It also is not good for large babies, as the incline needs to be increased, which can then be too upright if the baby is still young. The 4-35s I've seen require an angle increase when the child is 11 lbs. My daughter was 12lbs 1 oz at 6 weeks and would not have been able to handle the required angle. I think the Nido changes angle at 7lbs.
Jun 2, 2012
89 posts
56 upvotes
NORTH YORK
We used the britax bsafe with a city mini and then a city select once we had two. I miss the city mini! So easy to fold up and lift. We still take it on trips with us and both kids sit on top of each other if the older one gets tired.

We looked at reviews at baby gear lab and found the reviews on point. Also, car seat detective. I looked at and prioritized crash test/safety above other metrics.

At the beginning, since the babies nap so much, the infant car seat is a great option, because you can move them from car to stroller to home etc without waking them up.

A higher weight/height limit infant seat will let you use it for a little bit longer. You’ll know when they outgrow it by the amount of crying they’ll do when you try to put them in. This will happen before they outgrow the weight limits, and will happen because they are in a reclined position and can’t see out. So once they start getting curious, they will hate getting into it.

Once you move to the next stage, you will need a stationary car seat that stays in your car. We got one with the longest rear facing limits available. Statistically, rear facing should happen for as long as possible. Countries that rear face the longest have the lowest rates of fatal accidents for children. Look at some European countries for examples.p

We ended up with clek foonfs which have one of the highest rear facing weight limits. Expensive, but at 4 my oldest still rear faces. Because these seats are like tanks, they also sit up quite high in the car and both of my kids can look out of the window directly (meaning they turn their head and look straight out the middle of the window) as soon as they are in the seats. No complaints from them about not being able to see. These are super heavy though, so can’t move them from car to car as easily (but doable for two of these in about 7 minutes).

People mention you can get cheaper car seats because they all have to meet the same safety requirements. What I would say is that yes, they all have to meet the same MINIMUM requirements, and many manufacturers on the high end go beyond these minimums. Read the blogs I mentioned above for more info.

The one thing I would never cheap out on is the safety of my kids. Especially since they are going to be sitting in these seats everyday for a few years and I’ve seen accidents that popped airbags literally for no reason (the accident itself) at relatively low speeds.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
753 posts
237 upvotes
gemenichic wrote:
Aug 17th, 2018 12:02 pm
We used the britax bsafe with a city mini and then a city select once we had two. I miss the city mini! So easy to fold up and lift. We still take it on trips with us and both kids sit on top of each other if the older one gets tired.

We looked at reviews at baby gear lab and found the reviews on point. Also, car seat detective. I looked at and prioritized crash test/safety above other metrics.

At the beginning, since the babies nap so much, the infant car seat is a great option, because you can move them from car to stroller to home etc without waking them up.

A higher weight/height limit infant seat will let you use it for a little bit longer. You’ll know when they outgrow it by the amount of crying they’ll do when you try to put them in. This will happen before they outgrow the weight limits, and will happen because they are in a reclined position and can’t see out. So once they start getting curious, they will hate getting into it.

Once you move to the next stage, you will need a stationary car seat that stays in your car. We got one with the longest rear facing limits available. Statistically, rear facing should happen for as long as possible. Countries that rear face the longest have the lowest rates of fatal accidents for children. Look at some European countries for examples.p

We ended up with clek foonfs which have one of the highest rear facing weight limits. Expensive, but at 4 my oldest still rear faces. Because these seats are like tanks, they also sit up quite high in the car and both of my kids can look out of the window directly (meaning they turn their head and look straight out the middle of the window) as soon as they are in the seats. No complaints from them about not being able to see. These are super heavy though, so can’t move them from car to car as easily (but doable for two of these in about 7 minutes).

People mention you can get cheaper car seats because they all have to meet the same safety requirements. What I would say is that yes, they all have to meet the same MINIMUM requirements, and many manufacturers on the high end go beyond these minimums. Read the blogs I mentioned above for more info.

The one thing I would never cheap out on is the safety of my kids. Especially since they are going to be sitting in these seats everyday for a few years and I’ve seen accidents that popped airbags literally for no reason (the accident itself) at relatively low speeds.
This is great, thanks for that!
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4736 posts
766 upvotes
Mississauga
it doesn't apply if you are using the latches... it's only if you are installing with seatbelts...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8775 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Buy the cheapest one that is legal.

Don't waste money on it. In a car crash it s the car that counts, not the seat.

Save your money and lease, finance or buy a bigger car (SUV, truck) that will save all your occupants more than any child seat will.

Stroller: lightest, cheapest one. Stow N Go.
May 21, 2012
159 posts
114 upvotes
Burlington
gemenichic wrote:
Aug 17th, 2018 12:02 pm

We ended up with clek foonfs which have one of the highest rear facing weight limits.
In Canada, the Foonf rear facing weight limit is 40lbs, which is similar to many convertible car seats, but does allow for a few more inches in height before it is outgrown. (Many convertible car seats rear face until 40lbs or 40" tall or less than 1 inch above the child's head. Seats differ however, so always read your manual!) The longest lasting rear facing seat in Canada for most children is currently the Graco Extend2Fit which rear-faces to 50lbs or 49" or 1 inch below the headrest adjuster handle when the headrest is fully extended.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
753 posts
237 upvotes
muskrat191 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 9:10 am
In Canada, the Foonf rear facing weight limit is 40lbs, which is similar to many convertible car seats, but does allow for a few more inches in height before it is outgrown. (Many convertible car seats rear face until 40lbs or 40" tall or less than 1 inch above the child's head. Seats differ however, so always read your manual!) The longest lasting rear facing seat in Canada for most children is currently the Graco Extend2Fit which rear-faces to 50lbs or 49" or 1 inch below the headrest adjuster handle when the headrest is fully extended.
Thanks I will look into this one, seems like a very good option.

Is it legal to buy carseats from the states? in the us this is $144.99 and here its $249.99, even with exchanges/tax/duty charges it is cheaper.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2005
1046 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
Aug 22nd, 2018 11:12 am
Thanks I will look into this one, seems like a very good option.

Is it legal to buy carseats from the states? in the us this is $144.99 and here its $249.99, even with exchanges/tax/duty charges it is cheaper.
No it is not legal to buy a car seat in the US and use it in Canada.

You can buy a stroller but not car seat
May 21, 2012
159 posts
114 upvotes
Burlington
Aug 22nd, 2018 11:12 am

Our standards for car seats are different than the US. Even seats that look identical can sometimes have differences in Canada in order to meet our standards such as additional foam under the cover near the head or a required anti-rebound bar. It is illegal to use a seat that does not have the National Safety Mark (the sticker with the maple leaf).