car seat/stroller. So many options....

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2018 5:07 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1684 posts
769 upvotes
It is not illegal to buy from the US as such. However, you are only allowed to use them in Canada if they have the Canadian approval sticker on them. The issue is that it is very difficult, if not impossible to find seats which have Canadian sticker on them in stores across the border.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
753 posts
237 upvotes
nycetryguy wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 1:03 am
Don't waste your money on this.
why? I got 2 completely opposite comments one after the other haha.
Got that Zoomer account!
Dec 4, 2016
884 posts
317 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Aug 20th, 2018 10:24 pm
Buy the cheapest one that is legal.

Don't waste money on it. In a car crash it s the car that counts, not the seat.

Save your money and lease, finance or buy a bigger car (SUV, truck) that will save all your occupants more than any child seat will.

Stroller: lightest, cheapest one. Stow N Go.
Got any link that support this? Cheapest travel system on clearance in Walmart is about 200, a midrange one on sale at Toys R Us is about 400. $200 doesn't go very far in buying a bigger vehicle. Are you saying there's no difference in safety of children as long as it's legal?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 12:03 pm
any comments on this?

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/graco-view ... 0198228849

Is this stroller any good? I see the infant car seat by itself is over $200.
Its a decent stroller. It's a base model, and the basket looks like it might not be that sturdy, but that may or may not be a big deal. I remember I got a great deal on my travel system, there were some things that I would have liked differently, but the one that had all the features I wanted was more than 3X the price.

What I have found, is that if you (and mom) are not too picky, and generally can go with the flow with things and can work around not having everything you want perfectly, then you will save money. Just like everything else in life, you can get it 80% right with 20% effort/cost.

The one feature I never skimped on was safety. You do have to watch out for expiry dates on some of these clearances. I found a great deal on a carseat, and bought it, only to find out that the expiry was less than a year. I immediately went to store to return it, and they gave me a really hard time as it's safety issue to take back a carseat that has left the store, even if the box was still sealed. I would see if you can find out the expiry dates, especially if you plan to have more than one child. If you can't find the expiry, make sure they will allow you to return the item. Carseats tend to be an exception.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 12:02 pm
Got any link that support this? Cheapest travel system on clearance in Walmart is about 200, a midrange one on sale at Toys R Us is about 400. $200 doesn't go very far in buying a bigger vehicle. Are you saying there's no difference in safety of children as long as it's legal?
Assuming the expiry dates are met, there is actually little difference in terms of safety. A lot of price difference comes from brand, features, clearance of stock, etc. In terms of safety, the design is one factor, how it is installed and fits your child, and the vehicle is a larger factor. Some of the less expensive cars seats may be a little harder to install, but once installed correctly, will be just as safe as a more expensive seat. It also depends on your child's build, on some of the convertible seats. You have to consider height, weight, length of lengths vs torso. All of these things are harder to determine until the baby is born and starts growing. So generally, a well installed, legal cheapest seat will perform as well as the most expensive seat.

It's been a few years since I had carseats, but I had to replace many due to being rear-ended, and I found the installability and fit to the vehicle and child to be the most important.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
May 3, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Macx2mommy wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:17 pm
how it is installed and fits your child, and the vehicle is a larger factor.
I concur on these two points. It seems that all my research and reading has repeatedly yielded results based on incorrect installations. This kills me.

As far the vehicle, this is a given, but accurately and fairly testing the crashworthiness of a car seat would be problematic given the endless applications of end-installations in many cars. So, standards organizations like CSA, etc. are the best we have to make educated decisions.
Macx2mommy wrote:
Some of the less expensive cars seats may be a little harder to install, but once installed correctly, will be just as safe as a more expensive seat.
I am not sure about this claim. There is a reason independent testers conduct the tests they do - and to ultimately try to justify why there huge price variances.
Macx2mommy wrote:
So generally, a well installed, legal cheapest seat will perform as well as the most expensive seat.
If this was true, car seats should all cost the same.
May 21, 2012
159 posts
114 upvotes
Burlington
All car seats in Canada meet the Canadian requirements, which are pretty strict. So when properly installed and used, they are all safe. (Now, most are not used and installed properly, but that is a different discussion.)

Whether one car seat is safer than the other depends on a lot of factors. The test bench used to test car seats only tests one type of collision. It is likely that there is no "safest" car seat -- one may be safer in one type of collision while a different one is safer is a different type of collision. A steel frame may be great for collision A, but a plastic seat that absorbs crash energy by deforming may be better in collision B. We don't know how different seats perform in different types of collisions. And, obviously, you can't predict the type of collision you may have.

Ultimately, a car seat that fits your child, fits your vehicle and is used/installed correctly will be safe for your child. Not rushing to the next stage will help as well (ie. rear facing longer, waiting for the appropriate maturity before boostering).

For me personally, my five year old rides regularly in three vehicles. She uses a Sureride ($180, and can be found cheaper on sale), a Nautilus ($230) and a Frontier ($450). (All harnessed - she is not ready for a booster yet.) I feel she is safe in all three vehicles.
Mar 27, 2011
540 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
Aug 16th, 2018 11:01 am
So I am just researching the best car seat and stroller combo for our child that is coming in about 7 months. I am just looking now into what is involved and what are the best options. Obviously we do not want to fully break the bank as we are on a budget, but we want to get something safe and easy to use/light as possible within our budget. As far as budget goes, I do not know how much the whole thing will cost but we do not want to keep it under $500-$600 (this might be unrealistic but I do not know)

I see some other posts that say that it is cheaper to buy the seats in stages instead of a convertible seat. also I saw that some people say to buy a stroller separate and not a travel system or whatever its called. UGH. There are so many options and I do not know where to start.

Any suggestions would be helpful
Heya OP, congrats btw. my wife's due around the same time as well. We're first time parents too. Curious, have you narrowed down your car seat /stroller combo yet? We recently took a look at the Graco mode click connect combo at babies r us, my wife really likes that one and will be keeping an eye out for it on BF. It was on sale for $4 99 this weekend. Amazon has it too :Graco Modes Click Connect Travel System, Onyx https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011YW0QQK/ref ... XBb1AHM4Z7
Apr 24, 2017
50 posts
11 upvotes
For a stroller, these were some things we thought about.
Where will you use it? Are you a jogger or outdoorsy family, or are you a mall roamer? We spend more time outside than indoors and as such went with a jogger because they manoeuver better on trails, and is much more of a smoother ride on uneven surfaces like wooden docks.
Weight of stroller and general convenience of stroller. You will see how easy/hard it is to fold it, but also lifting the thing in and out of a trunk. Potentially a lighter stroller will be better for you and this could be more expensive, but that's the price you will be paying for convenience. Lighter strollers mean less strain on your back, but a bit more on your wallet.
Pushing experience. This one sounds silly (I laughed when sales reps said this to me) but it's quite important on how does the stroller feel in your hands. You will be pushing that thing and if it's not comfy for you, you will hate it. For us the key difference for the experience was the type of wheel it used. We found rubber tires to be the better than the hard plastic/foam wheels. I don't feel the vibrations and for me that was what made the final decision.

We tested a bunch of different strollers and ended up with the Bumbleride Indie. We loved the 3 wheel experience with rubber tires (it comes with a pump to inflate tires). Aside from the 3 wheels, another major benefit was the canopy. Probably one of the largest on the market. So you can keep baby protected. The stroller is front facing only, so a bit of a challenge in the beginning since baby wants to see you when they go out. We had to have the car seat installed for that purpose. But as they grow up, they'll want to look out more and front facing is better for them. This stroller is not light. It's about 24lbs and getting it in and out of the trunk can be a bit tiresome. As a comparison, if you went with an Uppababy system, al you would need is the stroller chassis in the trunk and then just connect the car seat on it (without the stroller seat). The chassis for the Uppababy is ultra light by comparison to the Bumbleride. I can one hand to take the Uppababy in and out of the trunk, whereas 2 hands with the Bumbleride.

Just my opinion of the Graco all in one system, the cheaper ones felt cheap, and heavier. Again, the wheels were a big deal breaker. You wont feel it when pushing it in a store since the floors are super smooth.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
753 posts
237 upvotes
gekaizer wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 8:05 am
Heya OP, congrats btw. my wife's due around the same time as well. We're first time parents too. Curious, have you narrowed down your car seat /stroller combo yet? We recently took a look at the Graco mode click connect combo at babies r us, my wife really likes that one and will be keeping an eye out for it on BF. It was on sale for $4 99 this weekend. Amazon has it too :Graco Modes Click Connect Travel System, Onyx https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011YW0QQK/ref ... XBb1AHM4Z7
thanks ill keep a lookout for that one. I currently have a Graco Views travel system with Snugride 35 in my den, but i havent opened it yet. got it for $199 at costco on clearance.

https://www.costco.ca/Graco-Views-Strol ... 97611.html

i will probably return this if i can find a better combo or deal.
Got that Zoomer account!
Mar 27, 2011
540 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
Oct 17th, 2018 1:52 pm
thanks ill keep a lookout for that one. I currently have a Graco Views travel system with Snugride 35 in my den, but i havent opened it yet. got it for $199 at costco on clearance.

https://www.costco.ca/Graco-Views-Strol ... 97611.html

i will probably return this if i can find a better combo or deal.
Oh nice, thanks for sharing! Have you tried this in-store? Or does anyone know where one can try this in store?
[OP]
May 23, 2017
753 posts
237 upvotes
gekaizer wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:59 pm
Oh nice, thanks for sharing! Have you tried this in-store? Or does anyone know where one can try this in store?
I havent even taken it out of the box, I will try it at home and return it if I dont like it, costco returns are easy.
Got that Zoomer account!