Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1542 posts
124 upvotes
Newmarket

car seat suggestions for a small car

i had a britax roundabout, and a britax marathon, but since my car was in an accident i need to dispose of them, and buy new ones

what would your suggestions be?
i need them to be comfortable, easy to install, and small enough to fit either a golf hatchback or a scion fr-s

both of my boys are on the lighter, shorter side, so i'm sure i have plenty to chose from

i'm keeping my options wide......i'm sure there are car seats that are as good or better than the britax
14 replies
May 8, 2006
199 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Try the Diono Radian R100, we have both the Marathon and the R100, and the R100 is smaller and more comfy than the Britax.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3813 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
Hubby has 2 of these in his commute Mazda 3 hatchback and still has space in the middle for our small 10 year old. If you're tight in space, this is probably your only option. And these carseats are built really well, unlike the plastic ones I've been at Toys r us in the $100 range.

http://www.amazon.ca/Diono-Radian-Storm ... B005MQRAXM

When we bought them, they were under the old Sunshine radian name. But looks the same as above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1542 posts
124 upvotes
Newmarket
thanks!

what is the difference between the r100 and the rxt

i see that sears has a sale on the r100 for 237.99 but it ends today so i would have to buy them pretty soon....it seems like a pretty good price to me, is it?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3813 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
jelena-c wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 4:02 pm
thanks!

what is the difference between the r100 and the rxt

i see that sears has a sale on the r100 for 237.99 but it ends today so i would have to buy them pretty soon....it seems like a pretty good price to me, is it?
I had to google it :D

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=214468

Looks like nothing except the head padding. I think our older one's is removed since he didn't like it.
Jul 21, 2006
653 posts
5 upvotes
The difference between R100 and RXT is mostly about headrest and padding.
In the RXT, the headrest is also adjustable.

If you have budget and can find one, I would highly recommend the Clek Foonf.
This seat takes less room in RF to the Diono RXT and is a very solid build.
They are expensive, but they are also good for a long time in RF.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
151 upvotes
Diono's are better for compact cars. They are narrower and can fit 3 seats across in the backrow.

Britax are 2 inches wider per seat, and you can only fit 2 of their seats in the backrow.

We love our Britax, but if we could do it over again, we'd consider the Diono instead. Then maybe we can squeeze in an added passenger between our 2 car seats in the back.
Jul 21, 2006
653 posts
5 upvotes
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Jan 25th, 2013 11:39 am
Diono's are better for compact cars. They are narrower and can fit 3 seats across in the backrow.

Britax are 2 inches wider per seat, and you can only fit 2 of their seats in the backrow.

We love our Britax, but if we could do it over again, we'd consider the Diono instead. Then maybe we can squeeze in an added passenger between our 2 car seats in the back.
The foonf is also narrow and you can fit 3 across in a small car.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1661 posts
372 upvotes
Oakville
Just picked up 2 Diono R100's for our Santa Fe, so much thinner than our 2 Britax, it makes you wonder why they need to build them like that. We have a third on the way in April saves us from trading in for a Minivan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1542 posts
124 upvotes
Newmarket
i went to sears to grab the diono r100, but they only had one in stock in newmarket, and i need two.......so i have to call around other sears and find out which one has two (i want one bill for the insurance.....i don't trust them, and being the idiots they are, they might screw it up)

britax was way too wide, so i passed on that
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
151 upvotes
jelena-c wrote:
Jan 28th, 2013 12:15 pm
i went to sears to grab the diono r100, but they only had one in stock in newmarket, and i need two.......so i have to call around other sears and find out which one has two (i want one bill for the insurance.....i don't trust them, and being the idiots they are, they might screw it up)

britax was way too wide, so i passed on that
They are also cheap on amazon.ca
I bought the Radian RXT for $273 and free shipping
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1542 posts
124 upvotes
Newmarket
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Jan 28th, 2013 12:27 pm
They are also cheap on amazon.ca
I bought the Radian RXT for $273 and free shipping
oh cool

will check it out too
i should have new seats this weekend, or at least purchase them by then and wait to be shipped
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9307 posts
988 upvotes
Ottawa
Jay1234 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 10:29 pm
If you have budget and can find one, I would highly recommend the Clek Foonf.
This seat takes less room in RF to the Diono RXT and is a very solid build.
They are expensive, but they are also good for a long time in RF.

we went to a store who sells diono and clek

I tried the Foonf in my car and it wouldn't fit in the back of our TSX Rear facing, it wouldn't sit flat without moving the front seat all the way forward. Tried it in the middle position and it fit but they we couldn't see out the rearview mirror

The RXT fit better with the angle adjuster so we bought that

I really wanted the foonf but it was a no go
Jul 21, 2006
653 posts
5 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 2:31 pm
we went to a store who sells diono and clek

I tried the Foonf in my car and it wouldn't fit in the back of our TSX Rear facing, it wouldn't sit flat without moving the front seat all the way forward. Tried it in the middle position and it fit but they we couldn't see out the rearview mirror

The RXT fit better with the angle adjuster so we bought that

I really wanted the foonf but it was a no go
Which position did you try the foonf?
Did you try the second position (max position in Rear Facing with Anti-Rebound bar installed)?
× < >