Car Seat / Travel System brands

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 5:33 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote

Car Seat / Travel System brands

Researching for car seat / travel system is overwhelming - everybody seems to have their own opinions.

When you look for "best dslr camera", general consensus is you get either 1 or at most 2 top camera that everybody recommends.

Not the same case with car seat / travel systems :(

What would you recommend? The Chicco Key Fit 30 sounds quite popular around here. BOB Motion also sounds well reviewed.

I am looking most importantly for: safety & robustness (obviously), travel system (car seat clicks to the stroller), and lightweightness (I've carried around my brother's car seat and it's freaking heavy).

What are the general consensus with brands like: Maxi Cosi and Bugaboo ? They seem to be very pricey, are they worth it?
18 replies
Sep 3, 2013
567 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
DH gave me to go ahead and purchase a bugaboo but I tried it and it didn't have the reversible face I wanted. It's really just the name you're purchasing. I think uppababy is better but up to you what features you want. We picked Nuna Pipa and Mixx (travel system) because it's lightweight and compact with reversible face, flat recline (no need for bassinet) and easy to maneuver.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1092 posts
152 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
We went with the Chicco Key Fit 30 and the Uppababy Cruz and don't regret the decision at all. We looked at the BOB Motion, and while I liked it and liked the price being lower than the Uppababy, we went with the Uppababy. It rolls sooo smooth, is light, and has a HUGE basket underneath (this is a BIG plus).
Feb 10, 2008
523 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Kayceern wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 5:17 pm
DH gave me to go ahead and purchase a bugaboo but I tried it and it didn't have the reversible face I wanted. It's really just the name you're purchasing. I think uppababy is better but up to you what features you want. We picked Nuna Pipa and Mixx (travel system) because it's lightweight and compact with reversible face, flat recline (no need for bassinet) and easy to maneuver.
Not sure what you mean by "reversible face"...but the Bugaboo Chameleon has the ability to have the seat forward facing or reverse facing. The Bee doesn't I don't believe. We have the Chameleon and love it...solid stroller. As someone mentioned above though, the only down-side is the basket under the seat isn't that large and it's difficult to get things in and out (particularly with the bassinet on it).
Dec 25, 2010
229 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
We used a Key Fit 30 (car seat and stroller) for both of our boys. The stroller quality isn't quite as high as what you'd see in the "premium" brands but it rolls and steers well. The wheels are solid foam so it can be a bit bumpy and loud. I like that it can lay completely flat so it can be used as a change table, though it does make it harder to get to the basket under the stroller. The stroller is easy to fold up as well.

Car seat is a little heavy but we bought it for safety. It is easy to click in and out of the stroller and the car seat base.

We got ours on clearance at Target for a fantastic price.
Last edited by D_J_M on Jan 31st, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3622 posts
52 upvotes
We had a Peg Perego Prima Viaggio and a City Select stroller which could hold two kids in certain set-ups. Both worked well for us. We're now using a Diono seat.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4975 posts
611 upvotes
We have the Bugaboo? it rear faces totally fine?

If i was buying a 'travel system' today i'd probably just buy the Britax B-Safe/B-Agile combo.
May 12, 2014
532 posts
146 upvotes
Markham, ON
Hi Op,

Think of what the most important features are, for you and test as many models as you can.

I went with the Graco Urbanlite, but not available anymore, the FastAction 2.0 Click Connect looks like the updated version.

-Weight, stroller is on the lighter side, 22 lbs cause the wife was the main user.
-Easy to fold stroller.
-Under $500 for stroller and car seat.
-Car seat have good reviews via Consumer Reports
-The stroller's seat could recline to be flat. Better for sleeping and changing on the go.

https://www.costco.ca/Graco%C2%AE-FastA ... 28585.html
Apr 8, 2011
188 posts
36 upvotes
Since you've already narrowed down your main criteria so probably best to just select a few candidates and try them out. As OP said, you should go and try out the stroller (push it around the store, fold it up etc.).
Yeah, the seats are heavy, but you'll develop arm muscles

I also ended up with Britax B-Safe + B-Agile stroller. Main reasons for selection:
- car seat had high safety ratings
- system clicked together w/o requiring an adapter
- stroller itself could be folded easily with 1-hand. (As much as I like the Uppababys and their large baskets and huge wheels, I'm petite and didn't want to be loading/unloading a huge thing in the winter by myself since I'd be doing most of the stroller usage while on mat leave)
- 'reasonable' price (didn't want to spend $800) and with leftover $ got an even smaller one for when we go traveling

For the higher priced strollers, you could also look at the resale market on Kijiji, FB groups etc. or get from last year's model to save some $$.

Good luck!
Sep 30, 2008
596 posts
246 upvotes
Pickering
I bought the Britax 2016 B-Agile/B-Safe 35 Elite Travel System which I purchased from Amazon on Dec. 2nd for $539.97 + tax, a great deal IMO.

We tried a lot of different strollers in stores and at baby shows and chose this one for many of the reasons mentioned above. It all really comes down to your needs and intended usage.

We looked at some of the "higher end" brands like uppababy and bugaboo as well but seemed like you are mostly paying a premium for the name

The B-Agile does all the things we need it to do and I don't see us regretting this decision.
Oct 16, 2007
835 posts
160 upvotes
We went with the maxi coxi mico ap because of the weight and we liked the material of the fabric. Been happy with it.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
Jan 30, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Hey there we bought the 2017 britax bready with the car seat. For the price it is really a good deal compared to the city select and uppa baby
Oct 14, 2013
24 posts
42 upvotes
Not sure if OP has picked a travel system yet but my single stroller picks are 1. Nuna pippa/mixx and 2. Britax b-agile/b-safe combo. I ended up with #2 because I had a hard time justifying the cost. Downsides of the Britax other than current recall (waiting for repair kit..) is that it folds outward and no reversible toddler seat. But, it IS super light and easy to fold away. For double stroller, I believe the general consensus is the City Select. Everyone I know swears by it!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel