Page 1 of 1

Car shaking when stopped

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 3:53 pm
by jl001
Hi,
for a while now, my car started to shake (very jerky) when stopped at lights.
It doesn't seem to shake when moving, and less shaky when in neutral or park.
Maybe a problem with engine mount?
Any RFD kind of mechanics in Mississauga? I work near Dixie/Eglinton.
My car is 2000 Saturn.

Re: Car shaking when stopped

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 4:11 pm
by Toronto
Do you have an RPM meter in your car? Is your car idling really low?

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 4:21 pm
by jl001
RPM meter reading's pretty much the same as before, although needle fluctuates a bit when shaking.

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 4:22 pm
by dOuble O
Toronto wrote: Do you have an RPM meter in your car? Is your car idling really low?
^ May be the cause of the problem...engine is having a problem keeping the required RPM to idle...

Or you may want to check your fuel pump, fuel may be lacking when you're at a stop...

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 4:26 pm
by notanexpert
What's the mileage on the car and when did you last have the spark plugs replaced?

Being a Saturn, I'd also suspect a slight leak in the head gasket ($$$), a small leak can cause a misfire when at idle but the engine will smooth out at higher RPM.

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 4:30 pm
by BladeX
Most likely not the engine mount, if it is an engine mount you will feel it when driving and making sharp turns, because say your side mount broke and its not really holding in and you make a sharp turn or go on a bump you will feel a bit of the engine jump.

Could be the fuel pump / filter, fuel isnt getting to the motor unless you press the pedal which means when your driving its fine but when your stopped in gear it shakes more than P and N because P and N is only idle mode.

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 4:37 pm
by Shaner
Is it shaking while braking, or only when actually stopped?

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 4:49 pm
by number84
actually, it might be the engine mount. i had the same thing happen to me in an older camry.

but could also be other things too. i think engine mount is easy for a mechanic to check, no!??

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 7:14 pm
by jl001
Shaner wrote: Is it shaking while braking, or only when actually stopped?
The car shakes only when it's actually stopped.
It's getting close to 140k, and I never had spark plugs replaced yet (I think 150k replacement per owner's manual)... I noticed that car shakes less with a/c on as well.

Any recommended mechanics/shop near Dixie/Eglinton in Mississauga?

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 7:28 pm
by Slippery_Pete
Could be a faulty EGR valve. If the valve is stuck open, you can get a very rough idle, and that will cause the car to shake when stopped.

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 9:21 pm
by goofball
check for intake manifold gasket problem. Apparently, the Dexcool used by GM will eat away at this.

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 10:44 pm
by tkyoshi
jl001 wrote: The car shakes only when it's actually stopped.
It's getting close to 140k, and I never had spark plugs replaced yet (I think 150k replacement per owner's manual)... I noticed that car shakes less with a/c on as well.

Any recommended mechanics/shop near Dixie/Eglinton in Mississauga?
When the A/C on the RPM is usually higher to compensate the load from the A/C Compressor.
number84 wrote: actually, it might be the engine mount. i had the same thing happen to me in an older camry.

but could also be other things too. i think engine mount is easy for a mechanic to check, no!??
I also agree this might be worth checking out. My car was involved in an accident a couple years ago and the person hit it from the side. This broke one of the engine mounts. Insurance repaired the car but not the engine mount. The car shook horribly when idleing (stopped), you could see the vibrations if you put a water bottle in the cup holder. When driving it wasn't bad at all.

Anyway I obviously complained and they replaced the mount, it's now silky smooth.

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 10:51 pm
by Whitedart
jl001 wrote: The car shakes only when it's actually stopped.
It's getting close to 140k, and I never had spark plugs replaced yet (I think 150k replacement per owner's manual)...
Are you saying that after 7 years, and 140 K the car engine has never been tuned up - plugs, wires, air filter, pvc valve, etc. changed? I would think it is somewhat overdue.

Normally that rough idling is from engine misfiring, and usually corrected with an engine tune up.

Posted: Sep 13th, 2007 10:55 pm
by IoannI
About 10 years ago my parents had purchased a 1989 Mazda 626, it was just a temporary car but we kept it for about 5-6 years and then broke down. Well what happend was the timming belt was worn out and the mechanic that checked it out (my fathers cousin) didn't say repace it soon, so that went and then it did damage to the engine and a whole lot of things ruined.
Anyways that car had the same problem. The car would shake, while stopped at a red light. When in neutral or park the car would be fine. No one could really find the problem. The only thing people would say is maybe there is a crack in the engine or a transmission problem. Still to this day I don't know what the exact problem was, if we still had the car I would of loved to check it out and find out what the problem was. Only advice I could give you is to take it to a shop and get it checked out.

Posted: Sep 14th, 2007 2:12 am
by bobbings
i had a similar problem when i had a 1991 accord. the rpm gauge kept fluctuating when i stop. replaced some regulator for 60 bucks for the rpm and it was fine after.

Posted: Sep 14th, 2007 2:30 pm
by tonic
Slippery_Pete wrote: Could be a faulty EGR valve. If the valve is stuck open, you can get a very rough idle, and that will cause the car to shake when stopped.
+1 I had this problem once and that's what it turned out to be

Posted: Sep 14th, 2007 4:00 pm
by Drthorne
I have a 93 Saturn SC2 with the 1.9l DOHC with the same problem, used to stall sometimes too. I removed the throttle body and idle air control valve and cleaned all the parts, they were gumed up pretty good. ran great after that.