• Oct 19th, 2015 5:05 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 20, 2006
698 posts
30 upvotes
TORONTO

Car theft break in - how to deal

We have had a string of car break ins on our streets at nite or early morning hours. The break in happens to cars that are not locked only. It has happened to me and few neighbours that didn't lock their cars past few weeks. Nothing was taken. Just things were rummaged around and glove box opened. Our neighbours had cash and things stolen at some point. This morning, my roommates wallet was taken as he came home late and left it in there. didn't lock the car.

I did have confirmation from neighbours seeing someone at 4am on other occasions and one caught the person on camera in his driveway. But hard to see.

Question: how do we deal with this. We have motion lights etc but the person roaming around still tries to get in in every car or snooping around peoples driveway

I put in a request into crime stoppers.

Is there a motion detector light+recording perhaps?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hide in the back seat and wait...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
....with a baseball bat

Whack away !
Aug 20, 2006
698 posts
30 upvotes
TORONTO
sound advise but watch myself get arrested :face palm: for defending property
Feb 2, 2014
504 posts
246 upvotes
crosswire wrote: The break in happens to cars that are not locked only.?
Lock the car then. The thief is clearly counting on people's stupidity.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
crosswire wrote: sound advise but watch myself get arrested :face palm: for defending property
Wear mask and gloves ...
Oct 24, 2014
151 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lock your doors lol...

thief breaks into my house but my house door is open, how do I prevent thieves from stealing my stuff
Aug 15, 2014
561 posts
193 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
What seems to be the issue with locking the doors..the reason the thieves keep coming back is because they've been successful stealing things and people in your neighbourhood continue to let it happen simply by not locking your doors
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
crosswire wrote: We have had a string of car break ins on our streets at nite or early morning hours. The break in happens to cars that are not locked only. It has happened to me and few neighbours that didn't lock their cars past few weeks. Nothing was taken. Just things were rummaged around and glove box opened. Our neighbours had cash and things stolen at some point. This morning, my roommates wallet was taken as he came home late and left it in there. didn't lock the car.

I did have confirmation from neighbours seeing someone at 4am on other occasions and one caught the person on camera in his driveway. But hard to see.

Question: how do we deal with this. We have motion lights etc but the person roaming around still tries to get in in every car or snooping around peoples driveway

I put in a request into crime stoppers.

Is there a motion detector light+recording perhaps?
Are you that blind to see your solution in your own thread?

Lock the doors if he's trying door handles and are passing on the locked ones then that's the answer...

By the way why would you leave your car unlocked regardless?
Aug 20, 2006
698 posts
30 upvotes
TORONTO
people do lock their doors, i guess forgetting it seems to be the issue. most folks here are in the trades and constructions n just leave their stuff in their trucks perhaps.

the fact is someone is walking around attempting this, which is bit concerning. If its cars, then it will be houses n back yards soon enough.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Get one of those TPS brochures, Lock It or Lose It...go to your local police station and ask for a bunch, then you put it on your neighbours car windshield.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
177 upvotes
"We never lock our doors, it's a great area."
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
... Living in cow country does not count
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Don't leave anything visible on a seat, on the dash, or in the console - if the thief sees something is in there, they'll try to get in.

When you close your door - lock it. If you have a remote key fob, lock it again as you walk away to make sure you didn't forget.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9924 posts
7087 upvotes
Mississauga
Had this happen to me many years ago. Learned from my mistake snd never left my unattended car unlocked ever again.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2014
1141 posts
1909 upvotes
AB
there is a feature in all cars call "LOCK".. it is great feature that should be used when parked outside.. it is similar to what most people do to their house door/garage/back door.. LOCK.. very useful and free of charge.. you can also upgrade to a newer vehicle with fob that will lock the car automatically as you walk away from the car.. Welcome to Q4 of 2015..
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
Reminds me of a video I've seen yesterday, might be an inspirational solution:

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
crosswire wrote: people do lock their doors, i guess forgetting it seems to be the issue. most folks here are in the trades and constructions n just leave their stuff in their trucks perhaps.

the fact is someone is walking around attempting this, which is bit concerning. If its cars, then it will be houses n back yards soon enough.
Why don't think take a look at the entire situation?

Someone has discovered that cars within a neighbourhood contain valuable items and are often leaving their cars unlocked. Why wouldn't they keep coming back? This is a pure crime of opportunity. It should not at all surprise you someone keeps doing this.

Break and enter on a home is completely different - it carries a whole other set of risks, and typically will be more challenging to do under the cover of darkness because people will be home at night. Most people who break into homes do not want confrontation - they want to be in and out as quick as they can. And this is very difficult to do during the night time when people are home.