Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 20, 2006
671 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO

Car theft break in - how to deal

We have had a string of car break ins on our streets at nite or early morning hours. The break in happens to cars that are not locked only. It has happened to me and few neighbours that didn't lock their cars past few weeks. Nothing was taken. Just things were rummaged around and glove box opened. Our neighbours had cash and things stolen at some point. This morning, my roommates wallet was taken as he came home late and left it in there. didn't lock the car.

I did have confirmation from neighbours seeing someone at 4am on other occasions and one caught the person on camera in his driveway. But hard to see.

Question: how do we deal with this. We have motion lights etc but the person roaming around still tries to get in in every car or snooping around peoples driveway

I put in a request into crime stoppers.

Is there a motion detector light+recording perhaps?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29516 posts
15363 upvotes
Ottawa
Hide in the back seat and wait...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25066 posts
9956 upvotes
Toronto
....with a baseball bat

Whack away !
[OP]
Aug 20, 2006
671 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
sound advise but watch myself get arrested :face palm: for defending property
Feb 2, 2014
500 posts
225 upvotes
crosswire wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 4:16 pm
The break in happens to cars that are not locked only.?
Lock the car then. The thief is clearly counting on people's stupidity.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25066 posts
9956 upvotes
Toronto
crosswire wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 4:25 pm
sound advise but watch myself get arrested :face palm: for defending property
Wear mask and gloves ...
Oct 24, 2014
151 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lock your doors lol...

thief breaks into my house but my house door is open, how do I prevent thieves from stealing my stuff
Aug 15, 2014
485 posts
132 upvotes
Newmarket
What seems to be the issue with locking the doors..the reason the thieves keep coming back is because they've been successful stealing things and people in your neighbourhood continue to let it happen simply by not locking your doors
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10065 posts
1406 upvotes
Toronto
crosswire wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 4:16 pm
We have had a string of car break ins on our streets at nite or early morning hours. The break in happens to cars that are not locked only. It has happened to me and few neighbours that didn't lock their cars past few weeks. Nothing was taken. Just things were rummaged around and glove box opened. Our neighbours had cash and things stolen at some point. This morning, my roommates wallet was taken as he came home late and left it in there. didn't lock the car.

I did have confirmation from neighbours seeing someone at 4am on other occasions and one caught the person on camera in his driveway. But hard to see.

Question: how do we deal with this. We have motion lights etc but the person roaming around still tries to get in in every car or snooping around peoples driveway

I put in a request into crime stoppers.

Is there a motion detector light+recording perhaps?
Are you that blind to see your solution in your own thread?

Lock the doors if he's trying door handles and are passing on the locked ones then that's the answer...

By the way why would you leave your car unlocked regardless?
[OP]
Aug 20, 2006
671 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
people do lock their doors, i guess forgetting it seems to be the issue. most folks here are in the trades and constructions n just leave their stuff in their trucks perhaps.

the fact is someone is walking around attempting this, which is bit concerning. If its cars, then it will be houses n back yards soon enough.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11567 posts
6388 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Get one of those TPS brochures, Lock It or Lose It...go to your local police station and ask for a bunch, then you put it on your neighbours car windshield.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
173 upvotes
"We never lock our doors, it's a great area."
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25066 posts
9956 upvotes
Toronto
... Living in cow country does not count