• Oct 19th, 2015 5:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3502 posts
2728 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Don't leave anything visible on a seat, on the dash, or in the console - if the thief sees something is in there, they'll try to get in.

When you close your door - lock it. If you have a remote key fob, lock it again as you walk away to make sure you didn't forget.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4427 posts
1841 upvotes
Mississauga
Had this happen to me many years ago. Learned from my mistake snd never left my unattended car unlocked ever again.
Oct 5, 2014
848 posts
1124 upvotes
AB
there is a feature in all cars call "LOCK".. it is great feature that should be used when parked outside.. it is similar to what most people do to their house door/garage/back door.. LOCK.. very useful and free of charge.. you can also upgrade to a newer vehicle with fob that will lock the car automatically as you walk away from the car.. Welcome to Q4 of 2015..
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3131 posts
114 upvotes
Mississauga
Reminds me of a video I've seen yesterday, might be an inspirational solution:

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16014 posts
6197 upvotes
crosswire wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 4:37 pm
people do lock their doors, i guess forgetting it seems to be the issue. most folks here are in the trades and constructions n just leave their stuff in their trucks perhaps.

the fact is someone is walking around attempting this, which is bit concerning. If its cars, then it will be houses n back yards soon enough.
Why don't think take a look at the entire situation?

Someone has discovered that cars within a neighbourhood contain valuable items and are often leaving their cars unlocked. Why wouldn't they keep coming back? This is a pure crime of opportunity. It should not at all surprise you someone keeps doing this.

Break and enter on a home is completely different - it carries a whole other set of risks, and typically will be more challenging to do under the cover of darkness because people will be home at night. Most people who break into homes do not want confrontation - they want to be in and out as quick as they can. And this is very difficult to do during the night time when people are home.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3954 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianLurker wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 5:30 pm
Don't leave anything visible on a seat, on the dash, or in the console - if the thief sees something is in there, they'll try to get in.

When you close your door - lock it. If you have a remote key fob, lock it again as you walk away to make sure you didn't forget.
Yep. exactly. I leaving nothing in sigh at all. if you look in its completely empty. Only an umbrella.
Oct 18, 2015
92 posts
30 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
As a former Adjuster and now a Sales Broker, you need to take steps to stop this from happening. While theft from your vehicle and any damage to it, is considered a not at fault comprehensive loss, if this continually happens, your insurance company may raise your deductible and/or not renew your policy.
Make sure you lock your vehicles and don't keep anything of value in it.
Also, only keep copies of your ownership and insurance card in the vehicle, never the originals. If something happened and they were removed or destroyed, how would you know who to call to report the claim ?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2464 posts
313 upvotes
Ajax
dbesinsurance wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 12:31 am
As a former Adjuster and now a Sales Broker, you need to take steps to stop this from happening. While theft from your vehicle and any damage to it, is considered a not at fault comprehensive loss, if this continually happens, your insurance company may raise your deductible and/or not renew your policy.
Make sure you lock your vehicles and don't keep anything of value in it.
Also, only keep copies of your ownership and insurance card in the vehicle, never the originals. If something happened and they were removed or destroyed, how would you know who to call to report the claim ?

Are you sure about the copies thing? I'd be nervous not having the originals. I thought proof of insurance and ownership means a legitimate insurance document and ownership.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29214 posts
15049 upvotes
Ottawa
Kuurgen wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 2:51 am
Are you sure about the copies thing? I'd be nervous not having the originals. I thought proof of insurance and ownership means a legitimate insurance document and ownership.
For the sole purpose of only having to prove that the vehicle is insured and properly registered (when being pulled over by your friendly police officers) ; photocopies are acceptable.
Mar 22, 2011
628 posts
170 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 9:00 am
For the sole purpose of only having to prove that the vehicle is insured and properly registered (when being pulled over by your friendly police officers) ; photocopies are acceptable.
And just make sure you SIGN the photocopies. A police officer reminded me that photocopies are OK but i must sign the photocopy too!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16014 posts
6197 upvotes
Kuurgen wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 2:51 am
I would personally recommend you do your own research into the HTA to determine what is acceptable, then decide if you are willing to take the risk. You will encounter far too many opinions on the matter because I am sure many people get away with copies all the time (as it is up to the officer's discretion).

This article, from a York Constable, indicates there are certain conditions that must be met for a copy of the registration to be legitimate:
http://www.thestar.com/autos/2014/09/12 ... carry.html
It also indicates you must carry the original insurance certificate:
Proof of insurance must be the actual certificate.

Again, you can decide what you want to do but you should at least make yourself aware, by reading the HTA, what is and is not allowed. Many people will tell you "I do this" but that's not going to convince a police officer if you are pulled over and they are not happy with you carrying a copy.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21702 posts
2401 upvotes
Blackmajik wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 8:25 pm
Reminds me of a video I've seen yesterday, might be an inspirational solution:

So many black people in that video... Did they plant the car in the ghetto?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29214 posts
15049 upvotes
Ottawa
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 2:03 pm
I would personally recommend you do your own research into the HTA to determine what is acceptable, then decide if you are willing to take the risk. You will encounter far too many opinions on the matter because I am sure many people get away with copies all the time (as it is up to the officer's discretion).

This article, from a York Constable, indicates there are certain conditions that must be met for a copy of the registration to be legitimate:
http://www.thestar.com/autos/2014/09/12 ... carry.html
It also indicates you must carry the original insurance certificate:
Proof of insurance must be the actual certificate.[/i]

Again, you can decide what you want to do but you should at least make yourself aware, by reading the HTA, what is and is not allowed. Many people will tell you "I do this" but that's not going to convince a police officer if you are pulled over and they are not happy with you carrying a copy.

Considering my insurer emails me my policy; I'm quite sure there's no way they can tell my 3rd or 4th printout is not the original :)
Sep 26, 2006
679 posts
188 upvotes
Must be something in the water for the neighbourhood to frequently forget to lock their cars
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41195 posts
4958 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 9:00 am
Thats true. But they're always jerks about it... It got me into hot water
"Oh... well... your head light is out.. heres the ticket. Oh... really? That's what it says in the HTA about registration and proof of insurance?? The judge knows that one a lot better... YOur options are on the back of the ticket."

This was back when I was in my old apartment.... doesn't help i lived in a shady neighbourhood. I also think its because I drive a beat up lexus. Seems to be the drug dealer car of choice. lol That and acura's, and nissan altima/maxima's.