• Aug 15th, 2019 3:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1442 posts
21 upvotes
usa

Car USB adapter gets very hot

My mother has been using the same dual usb car adapter fir a few years now. Suddenly we noticed it was very hot to the touch, so she swapped it with another one. It worked ok fir a day or 2 and noticed the same problem. We're not sure what's causing it to heat up. Any suggestions?
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1442 posts
21 upvotes
usa
This has never happened before. Is there something she needs to do?
Oct 17, 2010
511 posts
246 upvotes
Vancouver
When any charging device gets too hot it's never a good sign. I hope that it is not one of those that you can get from the dollar shop. When it comes to charger and even charging cable one should always get a from a well established known brand. You never know how they build the cheaper charger. You really do get what you paid for. A poor made charger can pose fire risk.
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Public Mobile $38 5gb iPhone 8+
Dec 6, 2012
292 posts
118 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Tobsterboi wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 12:59 pm
When any charging device gets too hot it's never a good sign. I hope that it is not one of those that you can get from the dollar shop. When it comes to charger and even charging cable one should always get a from a well established known brand. You never know how they build the cheaper charger. You really do get what you paid for. A poor made charger can pose fire risk.
True, just change it... I have an Aukey QC2.0 with 2 ports for something like 5 years now, works well, don't get hot, I think I paid 10$ for it...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1442 posts
21 upvotes
usa
She's been using the same phone for 1.5 years now. The adapter is def not from dollar store. Lol.. I got it fir her, but I don't remember where I got it from since it's been several years already. Never had any problem until now, and it's doing the same to a different adapter too. The cables are all apple genuine cables.

Is it possible it's caused by the lighter socket?
Aug 1, 2018
20 posts
7 upvotes
London , Ontario
gta1216 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 10:58 pm
She's been using the same phone for 1.5 years now. The adapter is def not from dollar store. Lol.. I got it fir her, but I don't remember where I got it from since it's been several years already. Never had any problem until now, and it's doing the same to a different adapter too. The cables are all apple genuine cables.

Is it possible it's caused by the lighter socket?
When you plug the charger in does it feel loose ?. The Metal Contacts that stick out on the sides of those chargers and the socket also get pushed in over time creating a bad connection. There's your overheating problem, if you need further help let me know cuz it's actually an easy fix outside of replacing the socket. Which isn't hard either depending on your skills.
Also check for Debris inside the socket.
Koodo Migration $35 5G 😃
Koodo Migration $40 8G 😝
Koodo $25 Unlimited Canada Wide Talk N' Text
Essential PH-1
IPhone 8
IPhone 8 Plus
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16449 posts
6386 upvotes
Oakville
If it's happening with multiple chargers, it could very well be the socket that's the issue. Did you try swapping cables too?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)