Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2010
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Car won't start when tank is low

Hey first post here.

So here's my problem. I've had a hard time starting the car when the tank is low (say around 15L and lower in the tank)... It starts no problem when the tank is full or half.

Also, it usually has to sit for a while for it to have trouble starting (overnight).

Could this be water in the tank? What else could be the cause? Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2301 posts
61 upvotes
Sounds like you fuel pump. It must work harder when your tank is low.
Banned
May 17, 2010
142 posts
North York
^

I was thinking the same thing...Sounds like your fuel pump is on it's way out.

Also note that constantly keeping a low amount of gas in your car will wear out the fuel pump faster.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24567 posts
2332 upvotes
Ottawa
enforcerviper wrote:
Jun 11th, 2010 6:05 am
Sounds like you fuel pump. It must work harder when your tank is low.
Not true, as long as the pump has fuel at it's intake, it will work just fine. The level in the tank shold not make a difference.
IROCz28 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2010 6:10 am
^
I was thinking the same thing...Sounds like your fuel pump is on it's way out.

Also note that constantly keeping a low amount of gas in your car will wear out the fuel pump faster.
Although it can very well still be a pump, low fuel pump pressure. Does your car have it's fuel filter as part of the fuel pump? Could be clogged. Do you hear the pump run when you first turn the key? It should run and then shut off (and run again when the engine starts and runs).
Fuel contaminated? Water?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5720 posts
508 upvotes
Fuel pump is most likely. However you can try changing the fuel filter to see if that makes any difference because it's fairly cheap compared to what a pump might cost you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
Definitely not water, if water was in you tank it would be the first thing that goes to your engine.
Sep 1, 2005
613 posts
38 upvotes
low fuel pressure - probably one of the check valves is gone
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4984 posts
524 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Have you tried releasing pressure at the cap? Just twist off and on, in case a pressure sensor is upset.
× < >