Automotive

Which car would you reccomend for around $20K?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2005 1:43 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 26, 2004
2987 posts
6 upvotes
Narci wrote:I'm saying cars are cheap overall in terms of upfront cost (initial purchase of a car)

Yes, I didn't do any research when it came to the Mazda (hell I was 17 at the time). I also learned how much it cost for parts for certain companies when I was working at a garage/autobody/paint shop part time for 2 years. Mazda/Nissan parts are pretty high up there along with MB.

Not all cars are perfect and sometimes accidents do happen whether they're your fault, thier fault or 50/50.

What i'm trying to say as well is that sometimes a used car is a good deal but you'll pay for it when you service it. I.E oh, why spend $20K for a used corolla when you can spend the same amount for a used base MB C-Class? Well, you buy the corolla cause maintenece, i.e oil changes, is only $25. The MB, try about $100 an oil change.

Just keep in mind the cost of owning.
you mean $200 oil changes for the MB's and $150 for the smarts
I have Vitiligo, it is there, but it is white (it = my eyebrow)

Shadow Dweller
My B/S/T:
Antenna 4 Sale: [URL]http://redfla
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
peterbrowne wrote:you mean $200 oil changes for the MB's and $150 for the smarts
Actually, oil changes on the smarts are over $200, if you accept what they say in the MB Forum.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
If people will go back to the start of this thread, the guy is asking about a car for his mother-in-law for about $20,000. From what he's asking for, he wants a pretty basic car, not a Mercedes or an Acura - even used.
Just because you can get a used ??? car for near $20,000, doesn't mean someone wants it. They just want something reasonable with a good warranty.
Also the "fun to drive" requirement would exclude most of the large or medium sized cars mentioned. To me, "fun to drive" means a compact car.
Some are getting carried away with what they want and what this guy's mother-in-law wants/needs.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
gordholio wrote:If people will go back to the start of this thread, the guy is asking about a car for his mother-in-law for about $20,000. From what he's asking for, he wants a pretty basic car, not a Mercedes or an Acura - even used.
Just because you can get a used ??? car for near $20,000, doesn't mean someone wants it. They just want something reasonable with a good warranty.
Also the "fun to drive" requirement would exclude most of the large or medium sized cars mentioned. To me, "fun to drive" means a compact car.
Some are getting carried away with what they want and what this guy's mother-in-law wants/needs.
I'm just shedding some light that some cars are more expensive to maintain then other no matter used or new or cheap or what not. Anyone can go out and buy a car, can you afford to maintain it is another story. Even some used cars cost more to maintain then what it's actuaslly worth. Also factor in insurance.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3800 posts
1275 upvotes
gordholio wrote:If people will go back to the start of this thread, the guy is asking about a car for his mother-in-law for about $20,000. From what he's asking for, he wants a pretty basic car, not a Mercedes or an Acura - even used.
What did you offer a guy? 2006 Hyundai, which did not come out yet?
How about 2007 Toyota corolla? That’s right you just offered the guy what YOU WANT not what he can buy right now and there is no pricing whatsoever. Good try though.

All cars below comes with air and auto

2005 Mazda3 GX = $22,413.50 (total)
2005 Toyota Corolla CE with B Package = $22704.50(total)
2005 ELANTRA VE 4-door Auto = $18,365.00 (+freight, licence, P.D.I., admin fees,taxes.) which will be ~ 21,000-22,000
2005 Honda Civic DX $23,486.46(total)
2005 Nissan Sentra Special Edition =$19,016.00 (+tax)

Now from that list which car can you get for 20K??
NONE. Unless you are going to get AMERICAN car wich is hard to say is relaiable.

So how did you contribute to the thread except making some stupid comments about other ppl posts? Thats rihgt NONE so why don't you change your attitude and actualy post some usefull information.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
Echo RS
Toyota Matrix XR since budget is of concern
Toyota Corolla
Honda Civic? personally, only 4 door civic i'd buy is the hybrid but that's well over budget, but a normal civic isn't bad i guess
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
romsan04 wrote:What did you offer a guy? 2006 Hyundai, which did not come out yet?
How about 2007 Toyota corolla? That’s right you just offered the guy what YOU WANT not what he can buy right now and there is no pricing whatsoever. Good try though.

All cars below comes with air and auto

2005 Mazda3 GX = $22,413.50 (total)
2005 Toyota Corolla CE with B Package = $22704.50(total)
2005 ELANTRA VE 4-door Auto = $18,365.00 (+freight, licence, P.D.I., admin fees,taxes.) which will be ~ 21,000-22,000
2005 Honda Civic DX $23,486.46(total)
2005 Nissan Sentra Special Edition =$19,016.00 (+tax)

Now from that list which car can you get for 20K??
NONE. Unless you are going to get AMERICAN car wich is hard to say is relaiable.

So how did you contribute to the thread except making some stupid comments about other ppl posts? Thats rihgt NONE so why don't you change your attitude and actualy post some usefull information.
Sheesh, no need to get nasty! :confused:
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)