Off Topic

Carbon taxes will fuel Canadian populism

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2017 2:07 am
May 22, 2016
757 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
3 months in and I haven't changed my ways i just have less money. I was conserving before now it just costs me more to go to work and support my family. Only person this helps is the govt by boosting the bottom line.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
webshark wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:57 am
3 months in and I haven't changed my ways i just have less money. I was conserving before now it just costs me more to go to work and support my family. Only person this helps is the govt by boosting the bottom line.
Exactly....As I said the rates are much too low and needs to be increased to change behavior like yours

People won't change their irresponsible ways until you make it hurt...Much like how people drink and drive ..They won't stop until you make it hurt...Samething with traffic tickets...One won't hurt..Even two may not...But eventually when they get kicked into facility they will smarten up

Rates are too low now to make people like yourself change your ways yet

Same with how the gas spike few years ago was needed to get people to stop driving around in Lincoln navigators and Hummers when they had no need for them. A few pennies nowadays won't change a thing especially with the irresponsible decrease in hydro rates
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2642 posts
366 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:00 pm
Uhhh. This is the right thing?.

China is leading in Solar technology and is investing HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in renewables.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china ... SKBN14P06P
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... 60-billion
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/05/chi ... -producer/

You guys are here complaining about not being able to afford carbon taxes and doing mental gymantics how its "wrong" while china is already dominating one part of the green market. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Let me guess what youre next post will be. China is lying? they are a joke?. They are the problem?. Face With Tears Of Joy
China has a pollution problem, so they are doing what needs to be done to fix it. Canada has a greedy politician problem, someday it will be fixed. Maybe with a famine.
signature removed for inappropriate content
May 22, 2016
757 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
The only reason China is not building coal plants is because they have too many already and they don't need more right now. Ppl seem to forget China is not a free country and controls what the media knows.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4568 posts
1525 upvotes
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/19/tr ... -will-fail

EDITORIAL
To be credible, a carbon pricing plan intended to reduce industrial greenhouse gas emissions linked to climate change should be national in scope, consistent in application and 100% revenue neutral.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s carbon pricing plan, released last week by Environment Minister Catherine McKenna, is none of these things. It is a political fraud because it will not do the things the Trudeau government claims it will do.

It will not meet Trudeau’s emission reduction targets for 2020 and 2030. What’s more, the Liberals know it won’t. They know it the same way the Liberals knew in 1997, when former prime minister Jean Chretien signed the Kyoto Accord, establishing emission reduction targets the Liberals didn’t expect to achieve. That was revealed a decade later by top Chretien aide Eddie Goldenberg, after the Liberals were out of power.

The reason Trudeau’s plan will not achieve Trudeau’s emission targets is that the carbon price it sets isn’t high enough to reduce Canada’s emissions to the levels the PM has pledged over the time frames he has set. The Liberals know this from their own energy experts, who told them Canada’s national carbon price would have to be much higher than they have set it to be effective.

But to do that, without provoking a massive recession, would require the Liberal plan to be 100% revenue neutral, across the country. That means returning all the money taken from Canadians through carbon pricing back to them in the form of tax cuts or, preferably, direct grants issued as regular dividend cheques, confirmed on an annual basis by the auditor general.

That would create a real-world market demand for low carbon intensive products, without massive public subsidies to the private sector, which are part and parcel of the Trudeau plan. It would do this without increasing the relative cost of living of Canadians by hundreds of dollars annually, as Trudeau’s plan will, year after year, without effectively reducing emissions. Trudeau’s plan allows participating provincial governments (at this point, all but Saskatchewan) to take increasing amounts of money out of the pockets of their citizens to spend on whatever they want, without lowering emissions to the levels promised by the Trudeau government.

It’s a cash grab, not an environmental policy.
The last line says it all and while Sunny Ways claims to be the protector of the middle class (has he figured out who that is yet? :eek:) his actions suggest quite the opposite when his carbon tax does nothing but hurt the middle class and with absolutely no impact on the "problem" he claims to be leading the world on.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
And this is news how?

Politicians only want to relieve taxpayers of their hard earned cash by any means possible. If they can come up with a way to fool the masses into believing it's for a good cause, this it's like a steak on the floor to a hungry dog. Irresistible and available.

Sunny ways indeed.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9799 posts
791 upvotes
are you saying if government collects more tax, it will help the environment??

Damn
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4568 posts
1525 upvotes
Hmm, well over a week since this thread was started and not even the lefties are refuting the opinions expressed. Maybe starting to see the light? :rolleyes:

Nah, couldn't be.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5795 posts
220 upvotes
I'll repost this same link that I posted in the Trump thread.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2016/03/08/B ... x-Failure/

No one can defend carbon taxes because they have actually failed to lower emissions. The Alberta NDP tried to combat the fact that it's a regressive tax but that defeats the purpose of the tax since low income people pollute as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3848 posts
956 upvotes
Life isn't one of his drama stage play where everyone is happy ever after due to the power of magical thinking.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16094 posts
1742 upvotes
Montreal
Conquistador wrote:
May 31st, 2017 4:28 pm
Hmm, well over a week since this thread was started and not even the lefties are refuting the opinions expressed. Maybe starting to see the light? :rolleyes:

Nah, couldn't be.
Most lefties use the Toronto Sun to line their birdcage. So yeah, it did get the attention it deserves.
Apr 14, 2017
199 posts
65 upvotes
DT Calgary
Imagine if it was an oxygen tax! There's more oxygen in CO2 than there is carbon.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9799 posts
791 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
May 31st, 2017 4:28 pm

Nah, couldn't be.
left are people too.. nobody wants to pay tax.

Let's get one thing straight, Sending hundreds of billions of dollars to third world country will not fix the environment. Sure it makes a great photo op, but in reality it will just fattening the pockets of corrupt governments.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
7604 posts
1429 upvotes
Trump University
Does anyone even take you seriously if you walk into the office with the TS? :D

Aren't they a part of Rebel Media fake news or something?
** Yes, I'm Italian! ** 😎
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9799 posts
791 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 1:33 am
Does anyone even take you seriously if you walk into the office with the TS? :D

Aren't they a part of Rebel Media fake news or something?
maybe it's just me, but at my office, you are judged by your ability to do work...

you know... a real job