• Sep 15th, 2014 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 11, 2014
1 posts
London, ON

Cards with trip cancellation insurance but income requirement less than $50K

I'm planning a trip for next year and I would like to get a card with trip cancellation insurance, travel delay insurance, etc. but I make less than $50,000. Not by much but most of the cards I can find with this insurance includes requres >60K income. Are there any cards out there that meet my criteria?
8 replies
Jan 12, 2009
183 posts
144 upvotes
Scotiabank American Express Gold card has a pretty low income requirement ($1000/month), but there's a yearly fee w/sign up bonus (waived if using professional student account).

A bunch of the other Amex's can be had first year free w/bonuses, and also have fairly relaxed income requirements.

People have reported getting the Capital One Aspire World Travel Mastercard (accepted more widely than Amex) using the online application and getting immediate pre-approval, without being asked for income verification. It also will work with $100 000 household income too.

Beyond Scotiabank for some cards (Infinite Momentum), most issuers use discretion in evaluating whether to issue the card or not (i.e. if you bank with them, have excellent credit etc.). Have a look at the forums, and if willing to forego the online signup bonuses, you can call in (I've been asked "how much you make" and was approved on the spot).
Aug 14, 2013
548 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal, QC
National Bank Platinum, with almost all travel insurances except for Accident.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2032 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think the $60k requirement is a hard rule.

I would simply apply for the premium card you want and see what happens. No point in limiting yourself because you don't meet their "requirements".
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4013 posts
636 upvotes
Richmond
jellytime wrote:
Sep 15th, 2014 1:19 pm
I don't think the $60k requirement is a hard rule.

I would simply apply for the premium card you want and see what happens. No point in limiting yourself because you don't meet their "requirements".
+1 Try td's first class card visa infinite. it's waived with the all inclusive account. my mom has no income of her own and is a housewife and td offered it to her anyways when she opened the td all inclusive account in branch. But she opted for the td gold elite since we will probably use the services on the td gold elite more due to us having an old clunker.

am student atm but I applied for the mbna rtp and td gave it to me
Deal Addict
May 26, 2009
1433 posts
375 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote:
Sep 15th, 2014 2:17 pm
+1 Try td's first class card visa infinite. it's waived with the all inclusive account. my mom has no income of her own and is a housewife and td offered it to her anyways when she opened the td all inclusive account in branch. But she opted for the td gold elite since we will probably use the services on the td gold elite more due to us having an old clunker.

am student atm but I applied for the mbna rtp and td gave it to me
I'll be going for the TD First Class also next week. Going to upgrade to the all inclusive account and get the fees waived on the card. Want this card since it also has car rental insurance along with all the trip insurance coverage, baggage, delay, etc
Oct 29, 2008
168 posts
8 upvotes
maydaydiscovery wrote:
Sep 12th, 2014 10:15 pm
I'm planning a trip for next year and I would like to get a card with trip cancellation insurance, travel delay insurance, etc. but I make less than $50,000. Not by much but most of the cards I can find with this insurance includes requres >60K income. Are there any cards out there that meet my criteria?
Visa Platinum Avion

No specific income requirment and it starts you off with 15K bonus points.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8261 posts
3985 upvotes
ukilledanoob wrote:
Sep 15th, 2014 7:43 pm
Visa Platinum Avion

No specific income requirment and it starts you off with 15K bonus points.
RBC points are not the greatest.