Students

Career help after graduating with a Biochemistry (Looking for post-grad program)

[OP]
Nov 23, 2008
150 posts
1 upvote

Career help after graduating with a Biochemistry (Looking for post-grad program)

Hello everyone!

I am a 4th year BioChem student that is graduating this year from York (will be doing my thesis research this year so I can have a better understanding of how working in a lab will be like).
I'm looking to apply to post-grad schools, but am slightly worried about my GPA being low.

I would like to work in a hospital/health care industry, or further my education being more specifically tailored to such settings.
I have looked into programs at Michener (MLT, Resp therapy, Ultrasound, etc...)
I will talk to admissions maybe with my currents grades/ transcript to see what my chances are.

I'm wondering in terms of extra-curriculars, are there any volunteer/part-time/internship opportunities that will really help with my applications?
What sort of other careers/ post-grads program should I be applying/looking into?
2 replies
Jan 8, 2010
115 posts
29 upvotes
q1w2e3 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 7:52 pm
Hello everyone!

I am a 4th year BioChem student that is graduating this year from York (will be doing my thesis research this year so I can have a better understanding of how working in a lab will be like).
I'm looking to apply to post-grad schools, but am slightly worried about my GPA being low.

I would like to work in a hospital/health care industry, or further my education being more specifically tailored to such settings.
I have looked into programs at Michener (MLT, Resp therapy, Ultrasound, etc...)
I will talk to admissions maybe with my currents grades/ transcript to see what my chances are.

I'm wondering in terms of extra-curriculars, are there any volunteer/part-time/internship opportunities that will really help with my applications?
What sort of other careers/ post-grads program should I be applying/looking into?
Oh man, aren't these questions you should have been asking yourself before you started undergrad or at least in your first/second years? It will be tough for most of these graduate and professional school programs if your GPA is below a B, which is a 70% at York. So you need to tell us what your GPA is first before we can help answer this question. No amount of volunteering experiences can overcome a poor GPA, which is the #1 factor for graduate studies.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2008
150 posts
1 upvote
No I understand that.

my GPA is actually very close to B

so it does really depend on the final year which does put a lot of stress on this current years marks.

i want to focus on the marks but i also want to volunteer and get extra curriculars.

i will definitely be looking for hopefully an internship or something during the summer

I want to give myself as many outs as possible into looking for a field in the health care industry.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)