Career as a Product Manager - Ask Me Anything

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 5:25 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2821 upvotes
Toronto
Are you hiring? and can we work from home?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jan 1, 2017
125 posts
60 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 9:17 pm
Are you hiring? and can we work from home?
Not right now. Do you have any experience in product management?
[OP]
Jan 1, 2017
125 posts
60 upvotes
TheRed wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 7:57 pm
What kind of personal or commercial products have you worked on? What did you have to do to get to where you are right now (ex, education, experience, know someone inside etc)? Thanks!
The products I worked on were payment products and cash management products. I can't share any more specifics on them. How did I get here? I was very persistent when looking for a job out of university, in the first 6 months I was apply for 5-10 jobs every single day. I was focusing on applying for jobs which required good problem solving and analytical skills since these were my strengths. I have an Economics degree and very strong Math skills. I didn't even know what product management was before I got into it by accident. I didn't know anyone on the inside and I had no connections.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2017
125 posts
60 upvotes
Sneakymist wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 9:04 pm
How did you initially land your Product Analyst position after finishing school? Did you have any other work experience at that time like internships?
See the post I just posted about how I got my first position. I had no work experience and no internships. I had some part time experience working at the university office but no real quality experience. I worked menials jobs (mover, dishwasher, factory worker) in the summers between school.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
771 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 11:02 pm

The products I worked on were payment products and cash management products. I can't share any more specifics on them. How did I get here? I was very persistent when looking for a job out of university, in the first 6 months I was apply for 5-10 jobs every single day. I was focusing on applying for jobs which required good problem solving and analytical skills since these were my strengths. I have an Economics degree and very strong Math skills. I didn't even know what product management was before I got into it by accident. I didn't know anyone on the inside and I had no connections.
Is it a fairly easy job? Payment and cash management have been around forever and you are essentially not launching completely new product but just changes to existing products, bundling stuff up, or improvements made.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2017
125 posts
60 upvotes
TheRed wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 11:11 pm
Is it a fairly easy job? Payment and cash management have been around forever and you are essentially not launching completely new product but just changes to existing products, bundling stuff up, or improvements made.
I wouldn't say it's an easy job. It requires the understanding of complex concepts and leadership skills at a minimum. Actually there has been a lot of innovation and launches of new products in the last 5-10 years in these two fields. I have launched multiple products.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1091 posts
333 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 11:17 pm
I wouldn't say it's an easy job. It requires the understanding of complex concepts and leadership skills at a minimum. Actually there has been a lot of innovation and launches of new products in the last 5-10 years in these two fields. I have launched multiple products.
Buddy you are not doing product launch for Ford or Apple. Just repacking mortgages at some bank, which does not helps economy. :lol:
[OP]
Jan 1, 2017
125 posts
60 upvotes
ironbrah wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 4:36 am
Buddy you are not doing product launch for Ford or Apple. Just repacking mortgages at some bank, which does not helps economy. :lol:
I'd never work on mortgage products as there is no innovation there.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
771 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 7:21 am
I'd never work on mortgage products as there is no innovation there.
What kind of innovation in payment and cash mgmt are you talking about?

Interac and apps like Tilt basically swept away opportunities for banks in terms of p2p payments. Maybe real time automated cashflow mgmt is next...
[OP]
Jan 1, 2017
125 posts
60 upvotes
TheRed wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 1:48 pm
What kind of innovation in payment and cash mgmt are you talking about?

Interac and apps like Tilt basically swept away opportunities for banks in terms of p2p payments. Maybe real time automated cashflow mgmt is next...
I can't share any specific products I have worked on as I would like to remain anonymous. There are way more payment and cash management products out there than the specific p2p use case you are referring to.
Oct 24, 2009
102 posts
14 upvotes
How can someone with extensive compliance experience within financial industry leverage it and move to product development? Or that ship has sailed for them...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2821 upvotes
Toronto
Multiple products due to sponsorship or compliance?
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 11:17 pm

Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2821 upvotes
Toronto
I might, I know SQL though. That helps, right?
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 10:47 pm
Not right now. Do you have any experience in product management?

[OP]
Jan 1, 2017
125 posts
60 upvotes
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 2:21 pm
How can someone with extensive compliance experience within financial industry leverage it and move to product development? Or that ship has sailed for them...
Making a switch from a compliance role would be next to impossible to do. However there is a less direct way to get there. I recommend aiming to move to a Business Analyst role and after 2-3 years as a BA it would be much easier to move to a product role. Also being in a BA role you will most likely work with product partners and have the ability to prove your skills to them for when you want to move to that team.
Oct 24, 2009
102 posts
14 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 2:38 pm
Making a switch from a compliance role would be next to impossible to do. However there is a less direct way to get there. I recommend aiming to move to a Business Analyst role and after 2-3 years as a BA it would be much easier to move to a product role. Also being in a BA role you will most likely work with product partners and have the ability to prove your skills to them for when you want to move to that team.
Thanks for an honest response. So in order words, the ship has sailed. It'd require a step down both in terms of career trajectory and pay. Oh well.