Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 19, 2009
84 posts
3 upvotes
edmonton

Career suggestion needed

Hi I am a new immigrant... 30+ year old and a new mother. I have completed my bachelors of commerce and have experince of more than 5 years administrative job with Big4 groups of another asian country. I had no idea to land in Canada but destiny got me here after marriage. Now my present situation is I am looking for career in finance or accounting sector. If I look into job requirements they ask for CPA, CGA or someother education that I have not completed. I am also interested in banking industry but I do not have any experience in bank. I do see that if I do CSC it will help me to get good position in bank. Now my question is incase I choose to go for CPA or CGA.. is it advisable to do at this age?? I am also not sure that I will be able to complete it with my new born. And incase I do any of the course mentioned above ( CPA, CGA or CSC) will this help me to get job in USA as we also have an option to immigrate to US. Please guide.
Indian Princess
8 replies
Sep 16, 2008
725 posts
16 upvotes
indian_in_canada wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 6:58 pm
Hi I am a new immigrant... 30+ year old and a new mother. I have completed my bachelors of commerce and have experince of more than 5 years administrative job with Big4 groups of another asian country. I had no idea to land in Canada but destiny got me here after marriage. Now my present situation is I am looking for career in finance or accounting sector. If I look into job requirements they ask for CPA, CGA or someother education that I have not completed. I am also interested in banking industry but I do not have any experience in bank. I do see that if I do CSC it will help me to get good position in bank. Now my question is incase I choose to go for CPA or CGA.. is it advisable to do at this age?? I am also not sure that I will be able to complete it with my new born. And incase I do any of the course mentioned above ( CPA, CGA or CSC) will this help me to get job in USA as we also have an option to immigrate to US. Please guide.

Is your bachelor of commerce from India ? Is it the typical 3-year Bcom ? If yes, you will be facing an uphill battle if you want to pursue CPA (I will explain latter), but it's the only one which matters in the US.

Assuming you want to remain in Canada, the CSC will take 8 weeks or less of studying and $1000, not bad.

A Bcom from India will give you credit for most of CGA level 1-3 courses, which is good for applying for an entry level accounting position. Once you get an entry level accounting job you can continue in the CGA program.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2009
84 posts
3 upvotes
edmonton
dandy2008 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 8:53 pm
Is your bachelor of commerce from India ? Is it the typical 3-year Bcom ? If yes, you will be facing an uphill battle if you want to pursue CPA (I will explain latter), but it's the only one which matters in the US.

Assuming you want to remain in Canada, the CSC will take 8 weeks or less of studying and $1000, not bad.

A Bcom from India will give you credit for most of CGA level 1-3 courses, which is good for applying for an entry level accounting position. Once you get an entry level accounting job you can continue in the CGA program.

Hello Dandy 2008

Sorry for late reply... I was busy with my new born... but I really acknowledge your reply and suggestions.

Yes I am indeed candidate who have graduated from India.... Can you please explain me the drawbacks for persuing CPA... is it advisable to do at this age??? Incase I choose CGA... will it be not be beneficial for me in USA. According to you which is the best country to persue career and life... US or Canada...??
Indian Princess
Aug 19, 2010
57 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
The CGA program has students enrolled from a wide range of ages, age shouldn't get in the way of your goals. Since you'll already be busy at home full-time education would be difficult. The good thing about the CGA program is that it's done part-time and almost entirely online. This will hopefully give you some flexibility to study when you're free. Expect around 20 hours minimum a week of course work.

As dandy2008 mentioned, if you have a recognized university degree like your Bachelor of Commerce you gain gain advanced entry in the CGA program. If you're in Ontario, you should start by applying for a transfer credit evaluation with CGA Ontario. Here's a link to explain: http://bit.ly/f86jh0
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2009
84 posts
3 upvotes
edmonton
AKW wrote:
Feb 4th, 2011 4:43 pm
The CGA program has students enrolled from a wide range of ages, age shouldn't get in the way of your goals. Since you'll already be busy at home full-time education would be difficult. The good thing about the CGA program is that it's done part-time and almost entirely online. This will hopefully give you some flexibility to study when you're free. Expect around 20 hours minimum a week of course work.

As dandy2008 mentioned, if you have a recognized university degree like your Bachelor of Commerce you gain gain advanced entry in the CGA program. If you're in Ontario, you should start by applying for a transfer credit evaluation with CGA Ontario. Here's a link to explain: http://bit.ly/f86jh0

Thanks AKW... Do you know if CGA will be beneficial for me in USA???
Indian Princess
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1320 posts
95 upvotes
In my opinion, going for your CPA at your age is not advisable. You'll be competing against people 10 years younger than you are for positions at the big accounting firms. Going for a CGA is more pratical at your age, but I don't believe that is applicable in the US. The other thing you need to consider if you're going into banking or accounting, is the location - higher prospect in Toronto than in edmonton.

CSC is probably the best route for you but it is only applicable in Canada.

Both banking and accounting are very different discipline so you'll have to decide what your interests are.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2009
84 posts
3 upvotes
edmonton
Coke355mL wrote:
Feb 8th, 2011 11:42 am
In my opinion, going for your CPA at your age is not advisable. You'll be competing against people 10 years younger than you are for positions at the big accounting firms. Going for a CGA is more pratical at your age, but I don't believe that is applicable in the US. The other thing you need to consider if you're going into banking or accounting, is the location - higher prospect in Toronto than in edmonton.

CSC is probably the best route for you but it is only applicable in Canada.

Both banking and accounting are very different discipline so you'll have to decide what your interests are.
Thanks to everyone for their valuable time and reply... I still have one more query... On completion of CSC will they consider my resume as I do not have any sales experience or any other experience of the country ??
Indian Princess
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2009
84 posts
3 upvotes
edmonton
indian_in_canada wrote:
Feb 9th, 2011 6:34 pm
Thanks to everyone for their valuable time and reply... I still have one more query... On completion of CSC will they consider my resume as I do not have any sales experience or any other experience of the country ??

I would appreciate if someone can reply to above "On completion of CSC will they consider my resume as I do not have any sales experience or any other experience of the country ??"
Indian Princess
× < >