Home & Garden

Be Careful of Weedman

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2023 9:35 pm
Apr 10, 2007
260 posts
109 upvotes
yusuke6_6 wrote: Make sure you know your consumer rights.. Don't let them bully you into thinking that you have to pay for their unauthorized service:
http://www.gov.on.ca/mgs/en/ConsProt/STEL02_167849.html

You have to be tough with these guys.

Thank you, the ministry link is very helpful. Am trying to resolve a 'negative billing' problem with Weedman now, and saw that the BBB on had mixed success with this 'F' rated company.

http://mwco.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx ... rm=1040887
Apr 18, 2009
1 posts
I had problems with WeedMan too. After receiving bad service I decided to find someone else to do my lawn. WeedMan kept calling and calling and calling and each time they called I told them I found another company and that I no longer required their services. I also told them to remove my name from any solicitation lists. I did not want to be contacted. Finally, I had to speak to a manager who was very rude and I also sent an email to the company. The phone calls finally stopped. Unfortunatly my parents are now dealing with them. After receiving bad service last year, they decided not to use WeedMan anymore. Each time they called, my dad told them they were not interested in renewing a contract. This week he got a surprise when he came home to find a WeedMan sign on the lawn and a bill in the mailbox. He called the company and the woman on the phone told him that they sent him two letters advising him that they would be coming to spray the lawn. My dad told her that he never called them to confrim service and that he would not pay the invoice. He also told her that if the came to the house again he would consider it trespassing and that they had no right to open a locked gate. We shall see what happens next. This negative billing practise is wrong and I suggest that anyone else call the BBB if they experience any problems.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1764 posts
1015 upvotes
Pookalai wrote: I had problems with WeedMan too. After receiving bad service I decided to find someone else to do my lawn. WeedMan kept calling and calling and calling and each time they called I told them I found another company and that I no longer required their services. I also told them to remove my name from any solicitation lists. I did not want to be contacted. Finally, I had to speak to a manager who was very rude and I also sent an email to the company. The phone calls finally stopped. Unfortunatly my parents are now dealing with them. After receiving bad service last year, they decided not to use WeedMan anymore. Each time they called, my dad told them they were not interested in renewing a contract. This week he got a surprise when he came home to find a WeedMan sign on the lawn and a bill in the mailbox. He called the company and the woman on the phone told him that they sent him two letters advising him that they would be coming to spray the lawn. My dad told her that he never called them to confrim service and that he would not pay the invoice. He also told her that if the came to the house again he would consider it trespassing and that they had no right to open a locked gate. We shall see what happens next. This negative billing practise is wrong and I suggest that anyone else call the BBB if they experience any problems.
WOW, how does a company that slimmy even exist????? I guess that is why they do exist though......
Apr 16, 2003
233 posts
6 upvotes
Well today I came home and noticed a weedman sign on my lawn. They actually said that they sent me an estimate in the mail that stated if i did not reply back then I agreed to their service. WTF??? I told them that I would not pay it and they would not budge. Actually they offered discounts etc... So I said that I would not pay and ended the conversation.
Feb 9, 2005
934 posts
242 upvotes
nano wrote: i dont understand why people would spend hundreds of dollars on their lawn.
i dont understand why people would spend hundreds of dollars on their computers.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
nano wrote: i dont understand why people would spend hundreds of dollars on their lawn.
Do you have a house? It's curb side appeal.
Jul 27, 2006
600 posts
23 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
I had an interesting problem with them. I called them for a quote for a grub treatment, they were creeping up in one part of the lawn. It was a Sunday so they took my # and name and their answering service said I would get a call for pricing info. Well, I didn't but found someone else anyway with a decent price so I went with it. About 4 weeks later, I have a Weedman sign on my lawn with the pesticide notice and a bill in my mailbox. I called them a few times to get this resolved, each time someone said, sure we'll take care of it. Every successive call there was never a "note" on record of my former conversation/complaint. New bill every month.

I ended up just paying for it to get rid of them. Judging from their BBB record, I'm lucky I got off as cheap as I did. Now I know to avoid them.

Edit: I never even received an estimate or quote or phone call unlike some of the other posters who have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with them.
::Heatware:: 6-0-0
::Location::
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
DrLee wrote: I had an interesting problem with them. I called them for a quote for a grub treatment, they were creeping up in one part of the lawn. It was a Sunday so they took my # and name and their answering service said I would get a call for pricing info. Well, I didn't but found someone else anyway with a decent price so I went with it. About 4 weeks later, I have a Weedman sign on my lawn with the pesticide notice and a bill in my mailbox. I called them a few times to get this resolved, each time someone said, sure we'll take care of it. Every successive call there was never a "note" on record of my former conversation/complaint. New bill every month.

I ended up just paying for it to get rid of them. Judging from their BBB record, I'm lucky I got off as cheap as I did. Now I know to avoid them.

Edit: I never even received an estimate or quote or phone call unlike some of the other posters who have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with them.

This is why they do the negative billing practices. They know people will just pay, especially if they threaten to go to collections. If you have no contract, not even an estimate... DON'T PAY!
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
Called on my cell phone and asked if they could come tomorrow (today) to fertilize my lawn. I chewed the guy out. I flat out told him that I don't even have a contract with them, at which point he started lying saying that I signed up to them last year. I then asked him what my address was, and he couldn't give me that info, all he had was my phone number.

Bunch of crooks! Watch out for these scammers..
Aug 31, 2006
41 posts
Pookalai wrote: I had problems with WeedMan too. After receiving bad service I decided to find someone else to do my lawn. WeedMan kept calling and calling and calling and each time they called I told them I found another company and that I no longer required their services. I also told them to remove my name from any solicitation lists. I did not want to be contacted. Finally, I had to speak to a manager who was very rude and I also sent an email to the company. The phone calls finally stopped. Unfortunatly my parents are now dealing with them. After receiving bad service last year, they decided not to use WeedMan anymore. Each time they called, my dad told them they were not interested in renewing a contract. This week he got a surprise when he came home to find a WeedMan sign on the lawn and a bill in the mailbox. He called the company and the woman on the phone told him that they sent him two letters advising him that they would be coming to spray the lawn. My dad told her that he never called them to confrim service and that he would not pay the invoice. He also told her that if the came to the house again he would consider it trespassing and that they had no right to open a locked gate. We shall see what happens next. This negative billing practise is wrong and I suggest that anyone else call the BBB if they experience any problems.
Exactly same happened with me. We were not satisfied with their service last year. We called and cancelled it last year. This year they sent couple of invoices and we ignored them. Suddenly on Friday guy sprayed fertilizer our lawn and left bill. I had already fertilized it. I called weedman today and they told me they do not have record that I cancelled their service. Now I have to pay or they will send bill to collection agency. :mad: How can they renew contracts themselves?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
Warning!
They are now going door to door, droping off estimates, but the catch is that they want you to sign that you received the estimate. I refused to sign, but noticed that the paperwork that one would sign, gives Weedman Permission to call you, thus going around the do not call list.
Rule of thumb, never sign anything at your front door presented by any marketers (Weedman, Hydro, Natural Gast etc..)
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13063 posts
3754 upvotes
xstatik wrote: Warning!
They are now going door to door, droping off estimates, but the catch is that they want you to sign that you received the estimate. I refused to sign, but noticed that the paperwork that one would sign, gives Weedman Permission to call you, thus going around the do not call list.
Rule of thumb, never sign anything at your front door presented by any marketers (Weedman, Hydro, Natural Gast etc..)
Thanks for the heads up.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
25 upvotes
Wow, how can a company like this be allowed to stay in business? Are these tactics only an issue with the Ontario franchises or is it nationwide? I've seen lots of weedman signs on lawns out here in Vancouver and wonder if these folks are getting scammed too.
Apr 16, 2003
233 posts
6 upvotes
How I got out of it was twofold.
1. Negative billing is illegal in ontario.
2. Asked for proof of conversation. They said they did not have it. So I replied that they have no proof that I ordered anything. From there it was easy to get to the will not pay one cent.
Jul 20, 2005
181 posts
16 upvotes
DrLee wrote: I had an interesting problem with them. I called them for a quote for a grub treatment, they were creeping up in one part of the lawn. It was a Sunday so they took my # and name and their answering service said I would get a call for pricing info. Well, I didn't but found someone else anyway with a decent price so I went with it. About 4 weeks later, I have a Weedman sign on my lawn with the pesticide notice and a bill in my mailbox. I called them a few times to get this resolved, each time someone said, sure we'll take care of it. Every successive call there was never a "note" on record of my former conversation/complaint. New bill every month.

I'm going through the same hell with Weed Man right now.

I called in Feb to cancel this year's service as last year I had the worst looking lawn on the block and was doing major landscaping/decking this spring that was going to cover most of my backyard. I came home in early April to find a sign on the front lawn and a bill in the door. I called in immediately was told that there was no note in my file to cancel and that the services would be canceled. I argued a bit about the charges and was finally told that they would be waved.

This evening I got another bill in the mail for the April 9th application + late charges. I called in again and SURPRISE! There were no notes in my file. I asked the rep to cancel the service and waive the charge as agreed and was told only Accounts Receivable could waive it. I asked to be transferred to Accounts Receivable and was told he was unable to do that. I asked how I could speak to someone from Accounts Receivable and was told that if I didn't pay the bill I would eventually get a call from them and that I could work it out then. Huh? What kind of way is that to run a business.

What's is even more confusing is I have received numerous sales calls and even a call from customer service asking why I canceled my service between April 9th and tonight. The customer service person that called made some of those "magical and invisible notes" in my file that night as well.

Either the Weed Man have the worst customer service system in existence or are the biggest scam around.. or both. I guess all those unauthorized $42.00 that people pay just to get rid of them add up.

I'm still hopeful that I can get this resolved. Has anyone ever managed to speak to a manager or accounts receivable?
Jun 24, 2009
1 posts
1 upvote
This company was initially good to use but I guess as the economy started to dwindle so did their service. I had my lawn sprayed with weed control and it seemed to work fine but only for a few weeks. I called and voiced my concern that perhaps they had not sprayed enough (given that I had used this company for several years in the past and never had an issue). The female on the other end of the phone was not only rude, but blamed me in an almost attacking way, stating that I was at fault because I had probably watered when I was not supposed to. I claimed that I did not water my lawn but still she kept arguing with me. I was upset as I, at that point, had already paid for the service and as such had no aces to pull out. She finally said that they could come out once more and spray again. I agreed to it under the condition that I would not get charged again. I was smart enough to record the conversation as soon as she had turned to the defensive side at the beginning of the conversation. We came to an agreement that the almost $1500 I had spent with them over the past years proved me a loyal and good paying customer. They came out and took care of the problem and everything was good....or at least so I thought. A few weeks later I got a bill for the weed control. Somewhat upset, I called and asked what the bill was for. I got the answer that it was probably a mistake and that it would be taken care of. I was satisfied with that and thought nothing more about it. Next month I get ANOTHER statement claiming I owe them money. At this point I called and told them I was about to cancel my account with them if they did not resolve the issue. They apologized and told me it would be taken care of. A few weeks later I get a letter from a local collection agency stating that I owe them money for an account on contract from Weedman. I decided to pay the bill to have the mess end, I called Weedman to cancel my account, something the female I initially spoke to had already done and I told them I would not allow them onto any of my properties ever again. The response I got was "Well, we won't come out until you learn how to pay your bills".

Although I was deeply hurt (given that I had a perfect payment record with them from before), I was ok with that and moved on....until I went to renew my mortgage. At that point my bank representative told me I had a hit on my otherwise spotless credit report from the collection agency about an outstanding bill from weedman. It did not affect me overall; I simply explained what had happened and they understood. I contacted my lawyer and told him what had happened. He was pleased to hear that I had recorded all the conversations with Weedman and started to draw up a suit against them.

Be careful when dealing with this company. They will do anything to get the bill padded, even though you dont want the services they give you. When I was using them I simply used them for weed control but I always got billed for aeration and over seeding as well. When I called them they stated that they had communicated to me through my bill that they were aerating and over seeding the next time they came out unless I called and canceled before. Now that I look back it should be the customer calling them requesting services rather than them pushing services onto customer that is often not needed. I am glad to be rid of them and I now use another company in Barrie and so far have not had any issues with them.

10 Rotten Tomatoes on Weedman for the poor sense of business.

Disappointed
Barrie, Ontario
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
disappointedInOntario wrote: I contacted my lawyer and told him what had happened. He was pleased to hear that I had recorded all the conversations with Weedman and started to draw up a suit against them.
I'll bet he was. :D

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My wife was victimized by another company's negative billing and the resulting credit mess held us back from obtaining a mortgage for several years. Glad to hear you made it through OK.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2007
1670 posts
217 upvotes
Markham
So you guys have any other alternatives? I'm reall sick of pulling weeds, any companies that can get the job done? I guess it's hard now cuz of the pesticide ban.
Mar 29, 2009
5 posts
1 upvote
These guys are complete scammers now...make sure you record any conversation you have with them to cancel your service. Trust me you will need to give it to your lawyer after they keep coming and sending the bills.

I have told them to stop 3 three times...when you don't pay they can you to collections and mess up your credit history.

Buy a weed popper and get some exercise your wallet will thank you.
Oct 6, 2007
121 posts
14 upvotes
So what do these companies use for weeds these days? Selective herbicides are banned in stores so what are they doing different?