Careless Driving what to do

Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2473 posts
1003 upvotes
MARKHAM
Bogdan1976 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:15 am
I do have winter tires at rear back and I wasnt speeding either. It was 5.30 PM traffic jam everywhere . I had something like 50 km/ hr Having just left home literally just 300 meters away from the accident place.
I simply had no idea where the van came I just saw it in my face making a sudden stop. Being 3 Celsius plus and light rain there was smog also :(
after driving for 30 years you should of know to keep double the distance when following a taller vehicle that block your vision of things happening in front of the van. i dont think you will be getting out of this case easy, sooner or later the other party will send you a lawyer letter suing you if you haven't got one already.

regardless the outcome of the ticket you have, your insurance will claim 100% fault at you, so your premium will go up anyhow.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6941 posts
3074 upvotes
Kootenays
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:06 pm
Yes I know, that is why i bolded the anti-lock in the ABS....

Unlike what you said, the main reason for ABS is not to make you stop quicker, it's to keep a vehicle from skidding.

A shorter stopping distance is just an added benefit. However, if the surface you are driving on is less than ideal that benefit disappears, just as the Wiki page you linked notes, if you read it.
I did read it, especially the part that said " Although ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and some slippery surfaces, on loose gravel or snow-covered surfaces ABS may significantly increase braking distance, while still improving steering control. OP said he was driving on a wet road.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7382 posts
1831 upvotes
A 2005 vehicle without ABS? isn't that a little odd?
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4739 posts
2045 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:11 pm

ABS definitely does help you stop quicker. That's the main reason for ABS. Just as you lose traction on the road surface and the wheel stops turning, the brake releases it to reestablish traction. It's similar to the old method of pumping your brakes, but much more effective, as it can do it far faster mechanically than you can do manually.
smacd wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:47 pm

ABS is an anti-lock braking system.

"An anti-lock braking system (ABS) is a safety anti-skid braking system used on aircraft and on land vehicles, such as cars, motorcycles, trucks and buses. ABS operates by preventing the wheels from locking up during braking, thereby maintaining tractive contact with the road surface." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system
smacd wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:31 pm

I did read it, especially the part that said " Although ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and some slippery surfaces, on loose gravel or snow-covered surfaces ABS may significantly increase braking distance, while still improving steering control. OP said he was driving on a wet road.

So what is your point then exactly?

I think I need a lolyer of my own to understand.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4627 posts
794 upvotes
Montreal
How do RFDers not have Xiaomi dashcams and a full set of winter tires from CTire or Costco?

This needs to be a requirement before joining.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7208 posts
1612 upvotes
Mississauga
cn_habs wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:16 pm
How do RFDers not have Xiaomi dashcams and a full set of winter tires from CTire or Costco?

This needs to be a requirement before joining.
That is the opposite of Rfd. Dont spend any money on your vehicle and hope for the best like op.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2974 posts
681 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
At 15 to 20 meters to be not able to stop means either you got some shitty tires or you were going fast.

You also knew the weather conditions weren’t too favourable you should be driving slow and with caution.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Jun 4, 2016
165 posts
151 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:59 am
2005 Mustang, RWD

Only winter tires on the back

Daughter in the car.

Blames weather and road conditions.

Sigh.

Bottom line is you were driving too fast for the conditions seeing how you couldn't stop in time.

This is the very definition of careless driving.
You must be one of those drivers doing 95km/h on the left lane on the 401.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3929 upvotes
Toronto
Bogdan1976 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 10:15 pm
i though it will never happen but it did. My first accident after 30 years of driving. 3 celsius, poor illuminated streets in Kitchener light rain/snow, wet road, mustang slipped a few meters and rear ended a van who abruptly stoped in traffic . The ladies insight appeared fine at first, laughing and making jokes but have called 911. 30 minutes laters claiming to have headache they were taken to the hospital.
Police is coming immediately telling me that i will be given a careless with fine asking me if i know what it means? No attempts made to asses the situation first despite of me showing how far away I attempted to stop the car... tire marks on the road. It also asked me to fill a report explaining what happened which i did.
I am at fault probably as this is what usually happens but i won't categorize this incident to be careless driving, i had maintained the right distance it was the weather and road like conditions at fault mainly.
Question is what can i do? Should I hire a paralegal, Early resolution by meeting with a prosecutor ? ( I am fine with a less charge) should i go to court ? What would I say in court (i cannot plead not guilty) I am guilty for having caused the accident...
Thank you
pretty much any time you rear end a car and a cop shows up, they give a careless driving charge. it's their go to charge.

cop was not there to witness anything so it's pretty simple to beat in court.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2101 posts
2149 upvotes
GTA
ABS does stop shorter. It's a matter of physics. Static friction is greater than sliding friction. So a car stops more quickly if its tires are able to turn against the pavement in pure rolling motion (ABS modulation), as opposed to the tires skidding across the pavement (no ABS modulation).
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13071 posts
1418 upvotes
Mississauga
A careless charge is also very hard to prove. Fight it. Specially since the cop wasn't there and didn't witness.

When I was a teenager, I had an accident as well and was given a careless driving ticket. Since I was naive, I fought it and it was dropped since they didnt have enough to prove anything.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13071 posts
1418 upvotes
Mississauga
daivey wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 12:02 am
pretty much any time you rear end a car and a cop shows up, they give a careless driving charge. it's their go to charge.

cop was not there to witness anything so it's pretty simple to beat in court.
BINGO. They actually hope that you plead to a lesser charge at the court. FIGHT IT straight.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4340 posts
1237 upvotes
Debtario
That charge is just like a kijiji transaction, they expect to lowball you on a lesser (but hope you plead guilty) charge. The lesser charge seems like a great deal compared to the major charge, but a conviction is still a conviction so you still lose. Best to fight it 100% do not plea to anything because they can't win the careless driving charge in the first place.

You need to read the ticket thread, very solid advice in there. Plead not guilty and request disclosure to see where things stand.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Jul 25, 2015
825 posts
655 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:40 pm
A 2005 vehicle without ABS? isn't that a little odd?
Budget baller V6 Mustang. Extra points for only rear winter tires.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1762 posts
418 upvotes
Hometown
OP glad you and your daughter are OK...

In the old days like 25 to 40 yrs ago (yep we all had no abs rwd cars back then) anytime a cop responded to an accident like you are describing. They would say if you don't plead guilty to following too close, I am CHARGING you with careless driving!!!! People would freak out and sign up for guilty of following too close right away.

Then people became aware that a cop is NOT a crown attorney or a judge, so maybe they should fight such tickets. So the option for a lessor charge at the scene seems to have went away over the years. Also back in the old days insurance was just expensive with a charge against you not OBSCENELY financially back breaking like it is now. (then again no one was paying 100.00 a month for a cellphone plan either but I digress).

So don't absorb the hate from the superiorgenzi here on RFD automotive who have never made a mistake or had a bad day, and exercise your right to fight your ticket. Call someone with some professional credentials and experience in dealing with the traffic courts.