None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10225 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 10:09 pm
Strangely, earlier tonight was my very first time trying out A&W. They've been around the GTA for years and I finally can check them off my list. LOL
Add All day breakfast to your A&W to do list, starting Feb. 27, 2017.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3417 posts
150 upvotes
Dumb question but how did you get 23K from ~$60/sqft for 3,618 sqft?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10225 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
Shimso wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 11:55 pm
Dumb question but how did you get 23K from ~$60/sqft for 3,618 sqft?
I believe that was someone else.
$278,658.36 per month. for the square footage, plus other costs and...who knows what the deal was for the basement.
Maybe it got rented out for storage...? I honestly don't know.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
3016 posts
764 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 10:09 pm
It's sad when Carl's Jr. was downtown on Queen Street West I never got around to trying it out. It was always on my "to do list", but I just didn't get around to it. :(

Strangely, earlier tonight was my very first time trying out A&W. They've been around the GTA for years and I finally can check them off my list. LOL
A&W is not bad -- decent quality. Fries are really good though but a bit pricey.

To me Five Guys is still my fav. Going to Cali next week cant wait to eat my In n Out, Carl's, Chick-Fil-A and Jack in the Box lol
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1734 posts
382 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 11:10 pm
A&W is not bad -- decent quality. Fries are really good though but a bit pricey.

To me Five Guys is still my fav. Going to Cali next week cant wait to eat my In n Out, Carl's, Chick-Fil-A and Jack in the Box lol
A&W used to be better 5 years ago. The meat quality isn't the same, and I think it's because they switched from American beef to the current Canadian beef. :( I would get 2 Mama burgers for $5 and those were my favourites!

When in Cali next week, if you somehow end up in Vegas, go to Shake Shack as well. It's next to New York, New York on the strip. And yes, you can also have In-N-Out in Vegas too! :D
Nov 29, 2013
96 posts
34 upvotes
Playnicee1 that would be $18,090 per month. The square foot rent is an annual number. This would be net rent. You also have to add city taxes.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10225 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
Jkavafian wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 7:04 pm
Playnicee1 that would be $18,090 per month. The square foot rent is an annual number. This would be net rent. You also have to add city taxes.
I wonder how much it would cost to just park a truck on private property some place (in Toronto) and give it another go...

Dec 30, 1969
650 posts
92 upvotes
They're not gonna ship you ingredients all the way from the U.S for a food truck.
soundcloud links are not permitted in signatures
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10225 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
Get-a-fix wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 12:59 pm
They're not gonna ship you ingredients all the way from the U.S for a food truck.
The food would be coming from one of the Alberta or BC locations. It's more like no one is willing to go all the way out to Alberta for pick up just for a food truck.
A MASS purchase (from the States?) for special events might still be possible though.
Renting space in the Food building at Toronto's CNE, plus the truck...good combo, but I know nothing about actual rent in the CNE food building.
(Food building offers food storage year round)
Dec 30, 1969
650 posts
92 upvotes
It doesn't work like that. You have to sign an agreement and buy in bulk and have it stored with a local supplier. On top of that most stuff has expiry dates, so you need to sell it within a certain time period. The logistic will never work for a food truck. Which is why they want someone to open more than a single store.

When i was with Carl's we had to throw away a lot of products that expired, because we had to order a specific quantity and never managed to sell all of it.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2008
3639 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 1:20 am
No no it's $23k per month -- which is still very high since you got rent, labour, food costs, etc... they would have had to make well over $200k per month to make anything decent there... maybe in due time they would have but not in a year or two, can take a while to build up regular customers to supplement the once in a while customers...

I'm not understanding your math.
Dec 11, 2012
62 posts
33 upvotes
Waterloo
Canada's market is too shit and no fast food chain or retail store lasts, end of discussion
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6612 posts
1306 upvotes
46 pages on a run of the mill, grossly over hyped ff chain. stunning
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3472 posts
850 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 2:51 pm
46 pages on a run of the mill, grossly over hyped ff chain. stunning
As I have hypothesized before, someone on RFD may have been paid to talk about Carl's.

You should know that Yellow Pages owns RFD and one aspect of Yellow Pages business is to help companies manage their online presence.

It would be nice if compensated posters had to be indicated .... but if they did that, we may just put them on ignore. This would negate the effects of what the campaign intended to do.

I wish I could point you to thread statistics showing that some poster has a very high percentage of the posts here ... but again, Yellow Pages doesn't want to let people know that there is paid posters.

Of course, I may be am wrong, but I suspect that I am right.
Dec 30, 1969
650 posts
92 upvotes
^^
I used to work for the company and i can assure you they weren't paying anyone to hype it up here. Even if they wanted to have an online presence, there are FAR more better places to advertise than RFD! The guy the investors had hired to lead the company (my boss) was an old school guy in his late 60's, with no clue of how social media works. The company blamed corporate for not marketing the brand but much of the blame also lies on them.

I guess they thought the brand would market itself and waited too late to try and put in any marketing effort. Instead of hyping/marketing Carl's before the launch, they waited until the restaurants started to fail and it was too little to late. Even then, they thought mailing coupons to people and paying some lame radio host to talk about it on his show was a good marketing strategy. They claimed to have invested and lost millions of dollars in the 4 restaurants, yet they didn't even dedicate a tiny percentage of that money into developing the brand in a new market.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel