Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7507 posts
1003 upvotes
Thecheapindian wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:46 am
Canada's market is too shit and no fast food chain or retail store lasts, end of discussion
Canadians don't eat out as much (and not as much fast food) as Americans but plenty of success stories also. Popeye's are growing like crazy and killing KFC. A&W's are also popping up everywhere.

Just like Target, Carls and other US flops - you can't always just open and assume it's going to work like in Chicago or Miami. Many companies don't do their homework and they pay the price.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10207 posts
1279 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:54 am
Popeye's are growing like crazy and killing KFC.
They're not killing KFC. KFC is killing KFC. Quality keeps going down. Then they have meetings to discuss how to fix the problem. The solution? Merge with Taco Bell to save on rent...carry on with selling total slop.
KFC is killing KFC. Competition is just a small part of their problem for them.
Dec 11, 2012
62 posts
33 upvotes
Waterloo
kool1 wrote:
Canadians don't eat out as much (and not as much fast food) as Americans but plenty of success stories also. Popeye's are growing like crazy and killing KFC. A&W's are also popping up everywhere.

Just like Target, Carls and other US flops - you can't always just open and assume it's going to work like in Chicago or Miami. Many companies don't do their homework and they pay the price.
I couldn't agree with you more my friend. The other main problem is these chains in America are so cheap and cost a few dollars but in Canada they cost 2 to 3 times the price due to many factors like exchange rate, shipping etc. Also, the chains that are starting to come are all just the same burger joints and similar stores. Chipotle did great because it's almost the same price as the states and is pretty unique. Halal guys is starting to expand too and I feel like it is going to be a fail, because they are charging 2 to 3 times the price at the actual one forlikely lower quality food. It's a shame, it really is
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10207 posts
1279 upvotes
Toronto
Thecheapindian wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 9:54 am
I couldn't agree with you more my friend. The other main problem is these chains in America are so cheap and cost a few dollars but in Canada they cost 2 to 3 times the price due to many factors like exchange rate, shipping etc. Also, the chains that are starting to come are all just the same burger joints and similar stores. Chipotle did great because it's almost the same price as the states and is pretty unique. Halal guys is starting to expand too and I feel like it is going to be a fail, because they are charging 2 to 3 times the price at the actual one forlikely lower quality food. It's a shame, it really is
...and that's why McDonald's is a huge success. They have their own head office here. They use Alberta beef, not an American import...etc
If Carl's were to launch a head office in Canada and use Canadian beef, more/less use the States as little as possible, they'd cut costs down quite a bit, and maybe they'd only need to open one or two locations at a time instead of being forced to open 3 at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7507 posts
1003 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 10:27 am
...and that's why McDonald's is a huge success. They have their own head office here. They use Alberta beef, not an American import...etc
If Carl's were to launch a head office in Canada and use Canadian beef, more/less use the States as little as possible, they'd cut costs down quite a bit, and maybe they'd only need to open one or two locations at a time instead of being forced to open 3 at a time.
It's not so much the head office as it is having strong local partners, competitive C$ pricing and a competent marketing company to deploy a new concept and brand to a market that is not aware of your product.

Carl's did none of that and their partner was obviously not great. Things like Canadian beef would have helped maybe. Only having 1-2 locations also hurt ya.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7507 posts
1003 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 9:20 am
They're not killing KFC. KFC is killing KFC. Quality keeps going down. Then they have meetings to discuss how to fix the problem. The solution? Merge with Taco Bell to save on rent...carry on with selling total slop.
KFC is killing KFC. Competition is just a small part of their problem for them.
LOL - true but if there was no Popeyes I would still go to KFC so they are definitely helping.

Taco Bell is key yes - all KFCs should have both. TacoBell is greatness.
Jun 10, 2013
3 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
kool1 wrote:

Carl's Jr is alive and doing very well in western Canada. Don't presume that since Carl's Jr pulled out of Ontario that it's dead in the water in Canada.

Carl's Jr just released a poutine burger. You should try it next time you're out west.
Aug 24, 2006
411 posts
87 upvotes
Futbollfan wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:48 am
Carl's Jr is alive and doing very well in western Canada. Don't presume that since Carl's Jr pulled out of Ontario that it's dead in the water in Canada.

Carl's Jr just released a poutine burger. You should try it next time you're out west.
I dont know about you but the locations ive been to are very much dead/ on there way out
Chilliwack bc location - super quiet, horrible service too i suspect on its way out
Vernon bc location - closed early this year/ late last year
kelowna bc- closed a few months ago too, and I believe this was first location in canada? or one of the first
kamloops bc- also closed now
Jun 10, 2013
3 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
bryceton wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:30 pm
I dont know about you but the locations ive been to are very much dead/ on there way out
Chilliwack bc location - super quiet, horrible service too i suspect on its way out
Vernon bc location - closed early this year/ late last year
kelowna bc- closed a few months ago too, and I believe this was first location in canada? or one of the first
kamloops bc- also closed now
The Carl's Jrs in Alberta are doing quite well. The ones in BC were closed because the franchise owner was in ill health, and not because of lack of business. They still plan on opening more Carl's Jrs in BC.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2365 posts
146 upvotes
Tried Carls Jr in the States and it's really nothing special.

Same thing with In n Out.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel