• Mar 6th, 2020 10:35 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
252 upvotes
ON
playnicee1 wrote: BTW, St. Clair subway station was SMOTHERED in ads for Carl's Jr. even though McDonald's is right there, just upstairs inside the station.
Geez, McDonald's must have been Pissed. lol
It surprises me that McDonald's didn't think to buy up all the ad space downstairs in the Subway so Carl's wouldn't be able to.
Considering the continuous crowds at the subway McDonalds and only the sound of crickets in the Yonge/St Clair Carl Jrs location, I'd say that McDonalds was smart to save their advertising dollars.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
GenerationE wrote: Considering the continuous crowds at the subway McDonalds and only the sound of crickets in the Yonge/St Clair Carl Jrs location, I'd say that McDonalds was smart to save their advertising dollars.
Carl's was far from having crickets. Coupons also helped.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: Carl's was far from having crickets. Coupons also helped.
Went to the St Clair location twice last year for dinner. Both times it was basically just me and a couple other people in the restaurant. Wish it weren't so because although they were very expensive, the food tasted great and they had amazing milkshakes. I hope they come back soon.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
It's better that Carl's find individual franchisees instead of one who can open so many at once... most fast food companies are going the route of finding one big company to handle a territory but personally better to just find several who can open... if they consider this option I even have a business partner who would consider opening one.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote: It's better that Carl's find individual franchisees instead of one who can open so many at once... most fast food companies are going the route of finding one big company to handle a territory but personally better to just find several who can open... if they consider this option I even have a business partner who would consider opening one.
Great!
Don't forget to have a private budget to run billboard ads etc to promote the business. Carl's themselves sure won't.
You might also want to consider a new location for less than $60/sqft...similar in size to either the queen st. or St. Clair & Yonge location. (depending on whether you wish to only be in the burger business, or maximize to include milkshakes etc.)

Good Luck!!

BTW, @ the St. Clair & Yonge location, as of this March, there is a fresh new notice confirming that the Carl's lease is terminated. (vs previous notice of distress & rent owing)
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
252 upvotes
ON
playnicee1 wrote: BTW, @ the St. Clair & Yonge location, as of this March, there is a fresh new notice confirming that the Carl's lease is terminated. (vs previous notice of distress & rent owing)
You are certainly keeping a close eye on the Carl's Jr developments! :)
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2008
3711 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
I hope they eventually come back. I have another $11.15 to go to get a bonus $5 on their app! :razz:
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
98 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Sanyo wrote: It's better that Carl's find individual franchisees instead of one who can open so many at once... most fast food companies are going the route of finding one big company to handle a territory but personally better to just find several who can open... if they consider this option I even have a business partner who would consider opening one.
Even if 6 points hadn't closed down all their stores you still would've been able to open up a Franchise, as they didn't have exclusive rights. So you can basically open up one now if you wanted. Having said that i personally wouldn't, as there are better businesses to spend $1 million on.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Get-a-fix wrote: Even if 6 points hadn't closed down all their stores you still would've been able to open up a Franchise, as they didn't have exclusive rights. So you can basically open up one now if you wanted. Having said that i personally wouldn't, as there are better businesses to spend $1 million on.
Every investment has it's own unique complications no matter what you do. Carl's jr. is still a good investment, but like I said already, just make sure there is an extra budget for billboard advertising because head office won't pay for any advertising in Canada, even though they really should.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Every investment has it's own unique complications no matter what you do. Carl's jr. is still a good investment, but like I said already, just make sure there is an extra budget for billboard advertising because head office won't pay for any advertising in Canada, even though they really should.
How do you know this? The restaurants were empty most of the time. Why don't you invest since you love it so much?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: How do you know this? The restaurants were empty most of the time.
Empty is a relative term.
The Queen street location includes customers that got their milkshake to go (in the summer)
The Yonge & St. Clair location did look busy at times.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Empty is a relative term.
The Queen street location includes customers that got their milkshake to go (in the summer)
The Yonge & St. Clair location did look busy at times.
I don't think people getting milkshakes for $2 to go on a Tuesday were making them any money. If you think it's such a good investment, put your money where your mouth is.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: I don't think people getting milkshakes for $2 to go on a Tuesday were making them any money. If you think it's such a good investment, put your money where your mouth is.
Who said anything about Tuesdays? Tuesdays are when it was CRAZY busy. I only said busy.

Maybe drag a Toronto star writer into this and see if she'll invest? ("Sourced exclusive") http://www.thestar.com/life/sourced/201 ... urced.html

(and yes, it could have been done for $3.99 instead of $4.59, making it more profitable because they would have sold more.)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
(and yes, it could have been done for $3.99 instead of $4.59, making it more profitable because they would have sold more.)
Right, because as usual you know everything about every fast food company's finances.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: Right, because as usual you know everything about every fast food company's finances.
It was Chapman's ice cream for god's sake, I doubt brand of ice cream was part of the problem, and yes, when it comes to ice cream, I do know how to make various things work...
The actual cost of new equipment might be the roadblock, but not the actual sale of ice cream.
It's the sales that need to happen, so $3.99 would have worked.
$4.59 was too high.
Then you have size of cup...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: It was Chapman's ice cream for god's sake, I doubt brand of ice cream was part of the problem, and yes, when it comes to ice cream, I do know how to make various things work...
The actual cost of new equipment might be the roadblock, but not the actual sale of ice cream.
It's the sales that need to happen, so $3.99 would have worked.
$4.59 was too high.
Right, and anything over $1 for a piece of fried chicken is too high :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: Right, and anything over $1 for a piece of fried chicken is too high :facepalm:
Yes, actually, for the drumstick. A dollar can be done.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Every investment has it's own unique complications no matter what you do. Carl's jr. is still a good investment, but like I said already, just make sure there is an extra budget for billboard advertising because head office won't pay for any advertising in Canada, even though they really should.
Its not a accident 6 points is trying to get out of their deal, clearly they must've been losing $ at a unsustainable rate to try to close & pull out so soon after investing so heavily. I think within 12 months there won't be any Carls Jr left in Canada. I've been to both Toronto locations multiple times & both were never at full capacity or even close to it, except possibly on opening day (when I wasn't at either place)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)