Students

Carleton University Thread

[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
15 posts

Carleton University Thread

I skimmed through and didn't see one, so hah my first post will be a new thread about school :twisted:

btw school suxs...but working suxs even more
28 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1485 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
Haha... No one cares about Carleton...
Wait, I go here... :-)

Unless you're taking...
- aerospace engineering
- communications engineering (only school in Canada)
- journalism
- industrial design
- international development
- and a few other select programs, it's not worth the brutal Ottawa winters
[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
15 posts
I find the weather no different than that of markham tho :D

but yea you're almost right about the 'no one cares about Carleton'
I care so its more like no two ppl would give a dam about Carleton :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2180 posts
67 upvotes
I go to Carleton.

Pretty decent school.

The only complaint I have is that the registrar and administrative staff are unhelpful and slow to respond to student inquiries. That's probably the case at every other university though
[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
15 posts
hey fellow student

what program are you in? I'm in aero. Technically I'm a 4th yr student. :cheesygri
Jan 9, 2007
63 posts
Ottawa
[QUOTE]Carleton University non-academic staff vote to strike

Professional, office and technical support staff at Carleton University in Ottawa could go on strike the day before classes start next month.

The workers represented by Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) local 2424 voted 94 per cent in favour of a strike on Wednesday, said a news release issued Thursday.

The union is dissatisfied with the progress of negotiations on wages, benefits, job postings and job security.

Union members will be in a legal strike or lockout position on Sept. 5. Classes begin the next day.

If a strike goes ahead, classes will continue and all student services including residences, cafeterias and libraries will remain open, said a Carleton University news release.

The union and university management are to meet with a mediator appointed by the provincial Ministry of Labour on Aug.30, Sept. 3 and Sept. 4 in an effort to avoid a strike.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... 70824.html

[QUOTE]CUPE gives Carleton U. Sept. 5 strike deadline
By Leo Valiquette, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Thu, Aug 23, 2007 3:00 PM EST

The union representing 700 staff at Carleton University is threatening to kick off the school year with a strike, but the university itself remains optimistic a provincial mediator will help achieve a more positive outcome.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) issued a statement Thursday saying that 94 per cent of the professional, office, technical and

support staff it represents at the university have voted in favour of a strike if a deal cannot be reached with the university's administration.

"We had a very large turnout for the vote, and this strong strike mandate should signal to the administration that our members are prepared to do what it takes to get a fair contract," CUPE national representative Susan Arab said in a statement.

CUPE local 2424 represents 700 workers at Carleton who've been working without a contract since June 30. According to the union, these workers will be in a legal strike or lockout position at 12:01 a.m., Sept. 5.

Ahead of that strike date, both sides will sit down with a provincial mediator on Aug. 30, Sept. 3 and Sept. 4.

In a statement, the university said it remains optimistic that a strike can be avoided with the help of the mediator.

"We are optimistic that by working together and recognizing our shared interests and responsibilities we will reach an agreement that is in the best interests of all Carleton University stakeholders," read the university's statement.

At issue are wages, benefits, job postings and job security.

"Unfortunately, Carleton's administration has a habit of pushing things to the wire, dragging their heels in negotiations, and refusing to make serious attempts to settle contracts until the university is faced with the risk of a strike or lockout," Ms. Arab said. "Management is offering our members less than half the raise they awarded to faculty earlier this year, while demanding concessions - that's totally unacceptable and discriminatory."

A strike would impact office work at the university, IT support, libraries and other technical and support functions.[/QUOTE]

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/28 ... 149834.php
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
2094 posts
38 upvotes
Jeez. The last President had to resign because the TAs and the Profs almost went on strike earlier this year. Ick.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
2094 posts
38 upvotes
Not that I noticed. There's even a shuttle bus between the two campuses.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11039 posts
389 upvotes
Ottawa
PHANTOMPHOENIX wrote: Is there any animosity between Carleton and OttawaU?
Lol, yes, at times. It's a friendly one though, mainly between the sports teams and engineering departments. I know of one incident years ago that my friend told me of; apparently he snuck onto Ottawa U's sports field and bleached some words into it, during frosh week.

But no, there is no overt "hatred" between the two universities, just a friendly rivalry most of the time.
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4090 posts
164 upvotes
firehawk12 wrote: Jeez. The last President had to resign because the TAs and the Profs almost went on strike earlier this year. Ick.
When I was there a few yrs ago, there were talks of strikes I think every single year. I'm not sure if this is common with all universities...but be prepared for it when deciding to go to Carleton.

To the person I'm quoting, doesn't quite make sense :) I think you mean last year (not "earlier this year"...the year hasn't started yet)...that they almost went on strike. Because the current president took his seat in 2006
Dr. Samy Mahmoud was appointed President and Vice-Chancellor pro tempore of Carleton University on November 20, 2006.
http://www2.carleton.ca/about/administr ... sident.php
[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
15 posts
yup, they say they're going to strike every year, but it almost never happens...fortunately :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2180 posts
67 upvotes
drakonius wrote: yup, they say they're going to strike every year, but it almost never happens...fortunately :twisted:
or unfortunately, depending on what time of the year it is.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2003
1134 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Frosh Week Begins today :D I have no idea what to expect.