Freebies

Carrot Rewards App for free SCENE/Aeroplan/Petro-Points/More Rewards [BC/ON/NFLD only]

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2017 4:03 pm
Tags:
None
May 3, 2012
51 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I got no surveys. All i get some some fitbit crap?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2296 posts
225 upvotes
PFC353 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:43 am
I got no surveys. All i get some some fitbit crap?
April 23rd - 10 points
April 17th - 15 points
April 11th - 10 points
April 7th - 10 points
April 5th - 10 points
March 30th - 25 points
March 24th - 10 points
March 19th - 15 points
March 15th 25 points
March 5th - 15 points
March 5th - 10 points

Signup Bonus - 175 points
Initiating Steps - 60 points
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9637 posts
721 upvotes
Tilter wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:50 pm
April 23rd - 10 points
April 17th - 15 points
April 11th - 10 points
April 7th - 10 points
April 5th - 10 points
March 30th - 25 points
March 24th - 10 points
March 19th - 15 points
March 15th 25 points
March 5th - 15 points
March 5th - 10 points

Signup Bonus - 175 points
Initiating Steps - 60 points
How long does it take points to go from pending to confirmed ?
Aug 8, 2015
696 posts
550 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 12:10 am
How long does it take points to go from pending to confirmed ?
2 or 3 days
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9983 posts
2989 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 2:24 am
Do I have to register for step counting first ??
A cautionary tale. When you sign up for step counting the app tracks your daily step count for a week or so. Then it averages those counts and uses that to set your "daily goal." You don't get points unless you meet that daily goal. In my case I signed up just before a multi-day hiking trip over the Easter weekend where I walked for several hours daily. So now my daily goal is several times higher than I reach normally. As a result I won't be getting any points for steps until my next hiking trip. I'm hoping their algorithm is smart enough to gradually drop my goal to what's actually normal for me.

In any case when you do reach your goal the reward is only a couple of points per day. You're not going to fly for on Carrot's dime any time soon at that rate.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9637 posts
721 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:08 pm
A cautionary tale. When you sign up for step counting the app tracks your daily step count for a week or so. Then it averages those counts and uses that to set your "daily goal." You don't get points unless you meet that daily goal. In my case I signed up just before a multi-day hiking trip over the Easter weekend where I walked for several hours daily. So now my daily goal is several times higher than I reach normally. As a result I won't be getting any points for steps until my next hiking trip. I'm hoping their algorithm is smart enough to gradually drop my goal to what's actually normal for me.

In any case when you do reach your goal the reward is only a couple of points per day. You're not going to fly for on Carrot's dime any time soon at that rate.
So in short...sign up with a burner phone and leave it on the table for 2 weeks
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2296 posts
225 upvotes
If you do not take any steps for the first two weeks, it will start you off with a soft goal of 2500 steps for week 3-4. Weeks 5-6 will likely be the same goal of 2500 but offer a 40 point bonus if you meat the goal 10 out of 14 days. Overall, it will take about 2 months to get a free movie (~1000 scene points) if you do all surveys and meet all step goals.
Jun 13, 2015
218 posts
240 upvotes
I wish it wasn't just step goal. I would like it to be active minutes instead (or in combination with step goal). Some days, I will do 1.5 hours of biking and not meet my step goal = no points. But isn't the point of the app to get us more active/healthy?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9983 posts
2989 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bonafidehustler wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:55 am
But isn't the point of the app to get us more active/healthy?
Presumably, yes. It's early days for this app. Hopefully they'll improve it going forward.

In any case, step counts are a very crude approximation of activity. They don't measure intensity of that activity. So I can do 10,000 steps walking around the house, office, stores, etc. without burning many calories or getting my HR over 100bpm. Or I can spend 30 minutes on a treadmill set to an incline (or stair climbing, etc.) and get my HR well into aerobic territory without getting to even 5,000 steps. Guess which is better for my health?

To measure something more meaningful than just steps you need a much more sophisticated tool, e.g. Mio Slice with PAI. But that device costs $150.
veni, vidi, Visa

Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
4394 posts
658 upvotes
North York
bylo wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:08 pm
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 4:20 pm
So in short...sign up with a burner phone and leave it on the table for 2 weeks
Your goal is re-evaluated every 2 weeks, increase if you can meet the goals for 10 out of 14 days, decrease otherwise.
No matter when you start, you'll eventually reach a point where it's set too high for you and then there are weeks where the goals will be easy-peasy to achieve.
Last edited by WhatADeal! on Apr 26th, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
4394 posts
658 upvotes
North York
bonafidehustler wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 11:55 am
I wish it wasn't just step goal. I would like it to be active minutes instead (or in combination with step goal). Some days, I will do 1.5 hours of biking and not meet my step goal = no points. But isn't the point of the app to get us more active/healthy?
Tie the phone in a place that is more sensitive to movement, perhaps in your socks?
Steps should count every time you actively pedal.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9983 posts
2989 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
WhatADeal! wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 1:12 pm
Your goal is re-evaluated every 2 weeks, increase if you can meet the goals for 10 out of 14 days, decrease otherwise.
No matter when you start, you'll eventually reach a point where it's set too high for you and then there are weeks where the goals will be easy-pussy to achieve.
Where did you get that info? Is it on their website? If so, I couldn't find it.

As for accuracy, the step count that Google Fit reports can be quite different from what other activity bands report.
Tie the phone in a place that is more sensitive to movement, perhaps in your socks?
I was thinking about tying the phone to a string, then swinging it like a pendulum. I'd need to hack something to keep the phone in motion. The reason I'm asking about their algorithm is to determine if gaming their system is worth the effort ;)
veni, vidi, Visa

Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
4394 posts
658 upvotes
North York
bylo wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 1:29 pm
Where did you get that info? Is it on their website? If so, I couldn't find it.
As for accuracy, the step count that Google Fit reports can be quite different from what other activity bands report.
I was thinking about tying the phone to a string, then swinging it like a pendulum. I'd need to hack something to keep the phone in motion. The reason I'm asking about their algorithm is to determine if gaming their system is worth the effort ;)
From own experience in using the apps for a few months.
Pendulum may work if it can swing your phone hard enough. I manually shake the phone with my hand when I find that I'm only a couple hundred steps away from the goal and feel too tired to walk around.
Jun 13, 2015
218 posts
240 upvotes
WhatADeal! wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 1:14 pm
Steps should count every time you actively pedal.
Google Fit actually recognizes when I'm biking vs walking. I think it uses GPS and notices I'm moving much faster with only a few movements of the phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9983 posts
2989 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bonafidehustler wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 9:05 pm
Google Fit actually recognizes when I'm biking vs walking.
I walk so fast that sometimes Google Fit thinks I'm biking.
I think it uses GPS and notices I'm moving much faster with only a few movements of the phone.
OTOH when I work out on a treadmill it doesn't see me going anywhere, hence doesn't register any activity.

Fit may be going into a fit because I now have it connected to the Carrot app as well as the Xiaomi Mi Band app and Polar Beat app ;)
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

pigletfy