Freebies

Carrot Rewards App for free SCENE/Aeroplan/Petro-Points/More Rewards [BC/ON/NFLD only]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2018 2:33 am
Jan 13, 2017
360 posts
97 upvotes
I think it is best to not accept the challenge after the first time doing it. Might as well get 4 points each day that you reach your target which hopefully is low. Luckily mine is only 7000 steps I try to reach.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3784 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
The last few posts here are hilarious! The goal of the app is to help users get healthier by providing an incentive to walk more, but instead, everyone is trying to figure out a way to keep their goals low so they can easily rack up the points!
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13071 posts
5474 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pintobean wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 1:15 pm
The last few posts here are hilarious! The goal of the app is to help users get healthier by providing an incentive to walk more, but instead, everyone is trying to figure out a way to keep their goals low so they can easily rack up the points!
I think you misunderstand our objections to their flawed algorithm. It makes no sense to keep increasing the daily step goal indefinitely. People don't have unlimited time to walk. Moreover the incremental benefits of walking more than say 15k steps per day aren't significant. So instead of incenting people to accomplish what's (a) unrealistic (unachievable in practice) and (b) not particularly beneficial, the algorithm should focus on encouraging people to maintain a reasonable level of daily activity,

If you want to keep incenting people to remain active then there should be a point where the reward threshold levels off. From then on the incentive should change to encourage people to remain at that level of activity. Perhaps at that point the daily reward could be cut in half and it would still be effective. But IMO it makes little sense to stop the incentive altogether.

See e.g. How Many Steps Should I Take a Day?
However great the benefits, a 15,000-step goal is tough to meet if you don't happen to be a postal worker. The study authors estimate that doing so would take about 3.5 hours a day—a hefty time commitment for most working adults.

The important thing isn't necessarily hitting that number, but "for people to reduce sedentary behavior by interrupting prolonged periods of sitting with walking or standing," Tigbe says.

Other experts say that while a whole lot of steps is good, the focus should be on hitting daily minimums, not pushing oneself to reach daily maximums. “There are incremental benefits the higher you go,” says Catrine Tudor-Locke, chair of kinesiology at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. “But whether 10,000 or 15,000 steps is the point where the skies open up and the angels sing...there’s probably a little too much obsession over how much is optimal.”

Tudor-Locke, who has studied step-counts and their associated health benefits, says the perks seem to diminish the more walking you do. So while 15,000 is better for you than 10,000, “you get the biggest bang for your buck at the low end, or just getting off your couch and getting a few thousand when you used to get close to none,” she says. In other words, shoot for 15K, but if you don’t make it, don’t sweat it.

The crucial public health message is to get at least 5,000 steps a day—and ideally 7,500 or more.
That said, counting steps is only one way to gauge activity and promote good health. And it's not a particularly good one at that. But that's a digression into a much more complex topic. See e.g. Do you really need to take 10,000 steps a day to keep fit?

P.S. Smartphones and fitness bands can detect movement. Perhaps there should be an additional incentive "for people to reduce sedentary behavior by interrupting prolonged periods of sitting with walking or standing" as Tigbe says in the linked article.

P.P.S. Target daily step count varies by age. See e.g. Step Count Recommendation. Carrot's algorithm makes no attempt to take that into account.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3784 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
:arrowu:
No, no, I wasn't misunderstanding everyone's objections. In fact, I was also trying to point out a flaw in the app - that the algorithm is so poorly constructed that people have decided to basically give up and are now just scamming the system so they can get their free points.

And if you consider that the app is financially backed by a few provincial governments who, I suspect, are the ones paying for the points that are being given away, then it's actually sad to think about how poorly the thing is setup even with big financial backers. I bet a newb app developer taking college courses could have built the same app with the same flaws.
Dec 21, 2010
136 posts
68 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
800+200 BONUS PETRO-POINTS! PLUS FREE Petro-points every day!

Download the partner's app Carrot Rewards to receive 800 bonus points, and then collect Petro-Points by completing offers when they become available
Full details at http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/petrop ... wards.aspx

Carrot Rewards is a FREE wellness app that rewards you with Petro‑Points when you participate in activities like:

-- achieving daily step goals
-- completing challenges
-- completing quizzes
-- learning about ways to improve your health
-- and more

Developed in partnership with the Public Health Agency of Canada.

Download the app today and earn 800 bonus Petro‑Points instantly!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Extra BONUS 200 Petro-Points:
Download Carrot Rewards and enter promo code PETRO200, and you’ll instantly earn 200 points in addition to the 800 points you’ll earn for creating your account!
Offer available until October 31, 2017
____________________________________________________________________________________

How often will I have the opportunity to collect Petro-Points with Carrot Rewards?
Members have the opportunity to earn points every day.

After the completion of an activity, how long will it take for the points to be added to my Petro-Points account?
Rewards earned in the app are automatically submitted to your chosen account within 10 business days.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
7146 posts
7253 upvotes
800 Points would have been nice... I wonder if there's a way to get them on existing accounts! ;)

PETRO200: I'm getting the message "This code can no longer be redeemed"

Maybe because I've been using this app for a long time.

I don't know how this is possible "PLUS FREE Petro-points every day!" because getting points is a slow process!

There's a whole thread on this over here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/carrot-r ... y-1935871/
Last edited by IDStorms on Oct 18th, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 17, 2007
141 posts
90 upvotes
British Columbia
Been using this for the last half a year or so. I've gotten 8000pts for using it.

It'd be more if Google Fit synced properly on my phone - it registers 2500 steps vs armband registering 12000 and I rarely get the bonus for walking 3000steps even though I walk all day.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2825 posts
759 upvotes
I have been using this app for 2-3 months and collected > 1300 scene points (I chose scene points). The damn app kept up the challenges whenever I completed one. Anyhow, it's like someone rewarding you for getting healthy habit so I am all for it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
7146 posts
7253 upvotes
Elanzer wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:14 pm
Been using this for the last half a year or so. I've gotten 8000pts for using it.

It'd be more if Google Fit synced properly on my phone - it registers 2500 steps vs armband registering 12000 and I rarely get the bonus for walking 3000steps even though I walk all day.
Nice!

I just passed the 3k mark because there was a 75 point survey this morning!

I stopped getting points for my steps a long time ago, because the Carrot app doesn't like HTC phones! :(
mkl38s wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:19 pm
I have been using this app for 2-3 months and collected > 1300 scene points (I chose scene points). The damn app kept up the challenges whenever I completed one. Anyhow, it's like someone rewarding you for getting healthy habit so I am all for it
Oops... I think it's time for sleep...

I don't collect Petro Points on my account, I also collect Scene points! :facepalm:

It was a secondary account on my tablet that collected Petro Points, but i havent used that account for the longest time!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2825 posts
759 upvotes
Does anyone know the highest #steps/day needed to complete in order to beat their challenge? My current challenge is 9K/day and I have a feeling if I beat it, next one would be 10K. Is that the max or they keep on increasing till you fail?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1723 posts
220 upvotes
Burlington
I've been using Carrot for months now, but for Scene points.

I've already earned enough to redeem for a movie as well.
Dec 21, 2010
136 posts
68 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't know how this is possible "PLUS FREE Petro-points every day!" because getting points is a slow process!

From the FAQ
How often will I have the opportunity to collect Petro-Points with Carrot Rewards?
Members have the opportunity to earn points every day.
Nov 26, 2015
286 posts
90 upvotes
Montréal
Residents of ON, BC, NL, and soon all Canadians can start living healthier with Carrot Rewards. Collect Petro-Points by completing surveys, quizzes and learning about how to lead a healthier life. Track your daily activity with your phone or FitBit and earn points for achieving your daily step goal.
Seems like except Quebec again?

By the way, it seems like we can use points like cash in stores now?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13071 posts
5474 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Why has this thread been renamed to [Petro Canada] Bonus 800+200 Petro-points and FREE Petro-points every day! (from Carrot Rewards App for free SCENE/Aeroplan/Petro-Points/More Rewards [BC/ON/NFLD only]?)

This is highly misleading. The Carrot program applies to more than just PetroCan, i.e. to Aeroplan, Drop and Scene points programs as well. There are many posts in this thread that have nothing to do with PetroCan and everything to do with the Carrot incentive program in general.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)