Freebies

Carrot Rewards App for free SCENE/Aeroplan/Petro-Points/More Rewards [BC/ON/NFLD only]

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 11:49 pm
Aug 23, 2013
737 posts
211 upvotes
Scarborough
I came back back to Carrot after not using it for a year, and already have gotten 800 Petro Points.

I use to use it for Scene Points, but seeing as I rarely go to the movies now a days, might as well put it towards Gas.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3650 posts
1451 upvotes
Toronto
Ugh. I'm pissed with this app.

I signed up in late August while I was on vacation and wasn't carrying my phone all the time, so my initial goal was set low, at 7500 steps. I normally do 9000+, so for the first couple of months, I was easily hitting my goal and racking up the points.

Then on November 1, I logged into the app, and it told me that my goal had been increased by 70% to 12,700 steps. I thought that was insane, especially since the weather has gotten colder, so taking a nice outdoor walk after dinner with the kids is no longer an option.

Nevertheless, over the next 3 weeks, I tried to increase my activity level, and got up to 11,000 most days, but only managed to break 12,700 steps 3 times in 22 days. The motivation of earning my free Scene points was quickly slipping away... And then the app recalibrated again...

But it freaking increased my step goal to 14,000 steps. Seriously?!? WTF? I'm ready to just give up. POS app.
Jan 13, 2017
267 posts
83 upvotes
I've given up on this step challenge and just getting my 4 scene points daily. Steps r still 7000 steps limit. Easier than the 14 day Challenge.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11563 posts
4092 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pintobean wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 4:33 am
Ugh. I'm pissed with this app. And then the app recalibrated again... But it freaking increased my step goal to 14,000 steps. Seriously?!? WTF? I'm ready to just give up. POS app.
Yup. I mentioned this issue upthread and suggested some possible solutions for Carrot. Not only is their algorithm insane, it isn't even necessary. According to scientific studies a daily step count of 7,000 to 10,000 is sufficient to maintain a basic level of fitness. Presumably that's what the app is trying to promote and encourage. There's no need to push people to do more.

Moreover, if you do other physical activity that's not measured in steps, e.g. weights, stretching, or do "super steps", e.g. run, run uphill, etc. then you're getting even more exercise that their app doesn't even recognize.

Dumb, dumb, dumb...
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 27, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
The Carrot app is not perfect. But it’s not worth getting too upset over. Probably only have missed out on 80 points or miles. Using this app isn’t going to send you to the movies too often. Lol
pintobean wrote:

I signed up in late August while I was on vacation and wasn't carrying my phone all the time, so my initial goal was set low, at 7500 steps. I normally do 9000+, so for the first couple of months, I was easily hitting my goal and racking up the points.

Then on November 1, I logged into the app, and it told me that my goal had been increased by 70% to 12,700 steps. I thought that was insane, especially since the weather has gotten colder, so taking a nice outdoor walk after dinner with the kids is no longer an option.

Nevertheless, over the next 3 weeks, I tried to increase my activity level, and got up to 11,000 most days, but only managed to break 12,700 steps 3 times in 22 days. The motivation of earning my free Scene points was quickly slipping away... And then the app recalibrated again...

But it freaking increased my step goal to 14,000 steps. Seriously?!? WTF? I'm ready to just give up. POS app.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11563 posts
4092 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Coreybarrie wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 11:19 am
The Carrot app is not perfect. But it’s not worth getting too upset over. Probably only have missed out on 80 points or miles. Using this app isn’t going to send you to the movies too often. Lol
Agreed.

However the "point" of giving out points is to encourage people to behave in more healthy ways. Studies have shown that people will make meaningful improvements to their lifestyles in exchange for nominal rewards, be they a few loyalty program points or even just some upvotes or other such positive reinforcement.

The bonus points for meeting step count thresholds are supposed to encourage people to be more active. That's the premise behind the Carrot app. And yet its implementation actually frustrates that premise by not rewarding people who do make meaningful improvements to their lifestyles.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15038 posts
961 upvotes
Scarborough
what's the best way to use two phones with carrot? right now i'm logging in as the same user on both phones and they're helping me reach my daily goals that i sometimes otherwise would not reach by a few hundred steps.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
1985 posts
1256 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pintobean wrote:

I missed the 14 day goal challenge 3 times in a row, and the app dropped the goal by 15%. I missed it again 2-3 times in a row, and it dropped another 15%. Now i'm about to hit it for the first time, let's see how it behaves.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
1985 posts
1256 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mont of December - earn double the points for each friend that you invite to join the Carrot app, upto 2 friends maximum.
May 18, 2017
18 posts
16 upvotes
It is a great site but I’m a truck driver and cannot get out and walk when I’m driving! Great wat to get Petro points
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1402 posts
271 upvotes
North York
KevinH223647 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 12:06 pm
It is a great site but I’m a truck driver and cannot get out and walk when I’m driving! Great wat to get Petro points
redkulat wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 4:00 pm
When you do your truck stops, running around the trailer 20 times and you should be able to hit the goal.
Or just place the phone in a portion of your truck where it shakes a lot, so that it simulates "walking". :-P
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11563 posts
4092 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
enigma0t2 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 4:07 pm
Or just place the phone in a portion of your truck where it shakes a lot, so that it simulates "walking". :-P
I humbly offer two suggestions for scoring Carrot points without breaking a sweat:
1. Install Google Fit app and Connect it with the Carrot app. Manually do "Add activity" specifying any step count you want, or,
2. Hang your phone or fitness band from something like the rear view mirror (do trucks have them?) or similar so that the phone swings like a pendulum.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 10, 2006
159 posts
158 upvotes
New survey, ecoDriving course for 215 points.
Nov 21, 2017
272 posts
86 upvotes
Surrey BC
why won't it let me input my valid aeroplan card on the app? wtf...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)