Freebies

Carrot Rewards App for free SCENE/Aeroplan/Petro-Points/More Rewards [BC/ON/NFLD only]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 11:58 am
Feb 9, 2017
154 posts
76 upvotes
Ontario’s West Coast
KevinH223647 wrote:
May 24th, 2018 8:22 pm
Today I picked up a $50 GC from Petro-Canada! Thanks carrot 🥕
wow I have almost enough for a $10.00 GC
Apr 30, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
HAVe they cut the number of points per day in half? It used to be 4 points but now for the last few days it’s only been 2 scene points. Really disappointing! Especially with a target of 9,200!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
2135 posts
1398 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used to think that if you don't accept the step-up challenge, then the daily goal step count stays constant. Boy I was wrong. Just got back from vacation where I walked 5x my usual, and goal automatically doubled. Points cut in half. Sucks
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1467 posts
1544 upvotes
carmageddon wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 9:48 am
I used to think that if you don't accept the step-up challenge, then the daily goal step count stays constant. Boy I was wrong. Just got back from vacation where I walked 5x my usual, and goal automatically doubled. Points cut in half. Sucks
Yeah apparently it adjusts to what your new steps are. So I keep mine low and close to my current target. I don't walk less, but I just don't carry the phone past my daily goal.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13426 posts
5832 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
carmageddon wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 9:48 am
That's what I've been telling people for at least a year now. The "good" news is that after the marathon ends, the step goal will automatically reduce itself. But it's a slow process that could take months to get back to normal.

And yes I know what you mean. I'm on a month-long hiking trip where my daily step counts have so far been ~24k, ~35k, ~38k, ~23k, ~20k,.. It takes 3 to 6 hours to get each of those daily numbers.

My daily goal is supposed to be ~10k. It will be more like ~25k a month from now. And it probably won't get back to ~10k until late fall or early 2019. What a f@cked-up system they have.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1467 posts
1544 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 12:56 pm
That's what I've been telling people for at least a year now. The "good" news is that after the marathon ends, the step goal will automatically reduce itself. But it's a slow process that could take months to get back to normal.

And yes I know what you mean. I'm on a month-long hiking trip where my daily step counts have so far been ~24k, ~35k, ~38k, ~23k, ~20k,.. It takes 3 to 6 hours to get each of those daily numbers.

My daily goal is supposed to be ~10k. It will be more like ~25k a month from now. And it probably won't get back to ~10k until late fall or early 2019. What a f@cked-up system they have.
Couldn't you log out of the app if you are planning a month long hike knowing that your goals are gonna shoot up?
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13426 posts
5832 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PriceHunter wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 1:05 pm
Couldn't you log out of the app if you are planning a month long hike knowing that your goals are gonna shoot up?
I could. But why should I have to? The app should be able to deal with (i.e. ignore) anomalies such as this. The app should also realize that even 10k steps is enough to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. Attaining 20k, never mind 40k, isn't necessary.

Besides it's easy to game the app using apps like Google Fit where you can create artificial activities with any step count you like. But again, what's the point? Even if you can force one AP mile per day and 20 bonus every 2 weeks, that's 1,000 AP points a year. Good luck getting anything useful from that.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 30, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Is carrot now only now giving 2 points for scene and 1 point for aeroplan? So disappointing!
Aug 26, 2010
903 posts
156 upvotes
Brampton
bylo wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 12:56 pm

The app is capped at 10k Max for daily goals.
Oct 10, 2006
228 posts
208 upvotes
Ottawa
KangFu wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 3:07 pm
No, the cap is 40K. I'm way past 10K, and few posts before, someone shared from Carrot stating the cap is 40K.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13426 posts
5832 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
KangFu wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 3:07 pm
My goal is currently >10k steps. It's also been >10k in the past.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13426 posts
5832 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Chim3ra wrote:
May 31st, 2018 1:42 pm
Max is 40,000 steps (per Carrot Rewards twitter)

Here's an interesting bug. Normally the Carrot app synchs up nicely with Google Fit, applying exactly the number of steps reported by GF towards Carrot's daily step goal. Recently I've been hiking substantial distances. A few days ago I manged to exceed 40,000 steps by several thousand steps.

So what did Carrot record, i.e. what my my reward for beating my goal by more than four times?

About 1,500 steps. That's less than I do on days when I never even leave the house.

I suspect they have 40,000 set up as a limit for more than just daily goals. I'm guessing that some bozo"bright light" on the Carrot team just assumed no one would ever do more than 40,000 steps in one day.

Wrong!

BTW on days when I've done close to, but not quite as many as 40,000 steps, everything has been working properly. That's why I suspect that some bozo"bright light" hard-coded 40,000 into their system somehow without any contingency for going over that threshold.

D'oh!
veni, vidi, Visa