Freebies

Carrot Rewards App for free SCENE/Aeroplan/Petro-Points/More Rewards [BC/ON/NFLD only]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2018 2:33 am
Oct 10, 2006
216 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:43 am
Here's an interesting bug. Normally the Carrot app synchs up nicely with Google Fit, applying exactly the number of steps reported by GF towards Carrot's daily step goal. Recently I've been hiking substantial distances. A few days ago I manged to exceed 40,000 steps by several thousand steps.

So what did Carrot record, i.e. what my my reward for beating my goal by more than four times?

About 1,500 steps. That's less than I do on days when I never even leave the house.

I suspect they have 40,000 set up as a limit for more than just daily goals. I'm guessing that some bozo"bright light" on the Carrot team just assumed no one would ever do more than 40,000 steps in one day.

Wrong!

BTW on days when I've done close to, but not quite as many as 40,000 steps, everything has been working properly. That's why I suspect that some bozo"bright light" hard-coded 40,000 into their system somehow without any contingency for going over that threshold.

D'oh!
Face Screaming In Fear
Feb 9, 2005
650 posts
48 upvotes
Don't know if this has been asked already. A search didn't come up with an answer (maybe wrong search term). But if this has been asked already, sorry. Is there a difference in which reward system you choose? ie. is Scene points better than Petro points?
Feb 9, 2017
93 posts
44 upvotes
vistaliving wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:55 pm
Don't know if this has been asked already. A search didn't come up with an answer (maybe wrong search term). But if this has been asked already, sorry. Is there a difference in which reward system you choose? ie. is Scene points better than Petro points?
For me Petro Points is better I hardly ever go to the show. Ii want free gas when ever I can get it. I have already gotten 1 $50.00 GC and I want more. It seems that there are more PP that Scene Points like today scene was 4 points and PP was 20 ponts
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
vistaliving wrote:
Is there a difference in which reward system you choose? ie. is Scene points better than Petro points?
You have to decide based on what's important to you. For some, perhaps who don't fly on AC/Star all that often, a few Carrot points here and there is enough to keep their Aeroplan account alive. That could be very significant to someone who has a large AP balance that they don't want to lose due to account inactivity. Likewise with Scene, Petro, etc.--it depends on your situation.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 9, 2005
650 posts
48 upvotes
Thanks! I didn't know if the daily rewards would be the same. ie. if today scene is 2 points and petro is 2 points. Obviously 2 points wouldn't be equal with the different points system.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
vistaliving wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:16 pm
Thanks! I didn't know if the daily rewards would be the same. ie. if today scene is 2 points and petro is 2 points. Obviously 2 points wouldn't be equal with the different points system.
They're not. I'm not aware if there's a chart that compares them, e.g. if you achieve a goal you get x points in program A, y points in program B or z points in program C, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 26, 2010
899 posts
155 upvotes
Brampton
bylo wrote:

BTW on days when I've done close to, but not quite as many as 40,000 steps, everything has been working properly. That's why I suspect that some bozo"bright light" hard-coded 40,000 into their system somehow without any contingency for going over that threshold.

D'oh!
I wonder if I should manually enter like ~ 160k steps in google fit and it will also give me some random low number like you. I don't mind doing the steps if they were like under my current 9,000 threshold. I prefer to bike instead of walk when I get time to work out. Trying to hit the goals cuts into my biking time.
Jan 2, 2018
110 posts
106 upvotes
vistaliving wrote:
I like drop the best. Was getting scene until about a month ago because I have 4,000 scene points and don't need any more. Drop is the closest you will get to real money because you can pick which GC you want when you cash out (I usually do Amazon).
Apr 7, 2016
56 posts
65 upvotes
They have a referral promo of 50% bonus points going on right now.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bylo wrote:
I suspect they have 40,000 set up as a limit for more than just daily goals. I'm guessing that some bozo"bright light" on the Carrot team just assumed no one would ever do more than 40,000 steps in one day.

Wrong!

D'oh!
Confirmed by Carrot:
Carrot e-mail wrote:Carrot doesn't count your steps directly. With Android phones, we retrieve your step information from Google Fit. Carrot has a maximum step count of 40K steps so if you are syncing when your step count on Google Fit is already about 40K, Carrot will not be able to retrieve the information and will revert back to to the number of steps on the last sync.
Why 40k steps? Why not higher? Why a limit at all?

D'ohble d'oh, Carrot!
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
More lunacy. I've been hiking throughout June, averaging ~4 hrs, ~15 km, ~500m of ascent, ~30k steps every day. Obviously this isn't something a normal person can do daily on a sustained basis, especially if they have a job or other responsibilities. (I'm not even sure if that's healthy or medically advisable on a sustained basis for someone my age.)

Carrot has been raising my daily step count goal steadily during June. I've easily met the 10/14 step challenge twice now. So what are these clowns setting as my next goal for the upcoming two weeks?
Screenshot_20180701-093610.jpg

25,900 steps a day? That's several hours a day of brisk walking.

Seriously?

D'oh!
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1413 posts
387 upvotes
You're the only one that complains about it. Just delete the app if it agitates you this much. I really don't understand stressing about these inconsequential things.

And yes, their algorithm is senseless.
Mar 12, 2011
744 posts
313 upvotes
Their algorithm is based on profit. They want a lot of users to download the app so they can charge the provinces more. But they want to keep their expenses low by making it harder to get rewards.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
EH15 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 12:15 pm
You're the only one that complains about it. Just delete the app if it agitates you this much.
How does doing that improve the app, i.e. to make it truly useful in promoting more exercise? At least I report this stuff to Carrot rather than just give up and delete it.

I really don't understand stressing about these inconsequential things.
Who's stressing? And how are these silly algorithms "inconsequential"?
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 10, 2006
216 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 4:48 am
More lunacy. I've been hiking throughout June, averaging ~4 hrs, ~15 km, ~500m of ascent, ~30k steps every day. Obviously this isn't something a normal person can do daily on a sustained basis, especially if they have a job or other responsibilities. (I'm not even sure if that's healthy or medically advisable on a sustained basis for someone my age.)

Carrot has been raising my daily step count goal steadily during June. I've easily met the 10/14 step challenge twice now. So what are these clowns setting as my next goal for the upcoming two weeks?

Screenshot_20180701-093610.jpg

25,900 steps a day? That's several hours a day of brisk walking.

Seriously?

D'oh!
When it reaches a goal unachievable (each person definition is different Winking Face), I just accept the challenge and not meeting it. It will lower next cycle (or the one after).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)