Freebies

Carrot Rewards App for free SCENE/Aeroplan/Petro-Points/More Rewards [BC/ON/NFLD only]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2018 2:33 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5793 posts
1746 upvotes
North York
KangFu wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 12:50 pm
I wonder if I should manually enter like ~ 160k steps in google fit and it will also give me some random low number like you. I don't mind doing the steps if they were like under my current 9,000 threshold. I prefer to bike instead of walk when I get time to work out. Trying to hit the goals cuts into my biking time.
There's a similar app for biking.
toronto-biko-rewards-like-carrot-biking-2099259/
Apr 19, 2017
197 posts
70 upvotes
Carrot is worthless really.

The daily achievement dropped from 4 to 2. And the challenge is now only 15 points (used to be 100). Yes, it got reduced to 5/7 instead of 10/14, but it's even worse. Faster in increasing the requirements for the next cycle. Also, no more surveys. I think I got 1 5pt survey in the last 3 months.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5793 posts
1746 upvotes
North York
plans4canada wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 3:51 am
Carrot is worthless really.
The daily achievement dropped from 4 to 2. And the challenge is now only 15 points (used to be 100). Yes, it got reduced to 5/7 instead of 10/14, but it's even worse. Faster in increasing the requirements for the next cycle. Also, no more surveys. I think I got 1 5pt survey in the last 3 months.
I am still getting:
Step Goal Complete 40
Step Together Challenge Complete 40

Got a total of 134 points last week, which is not bad.
Of course you need to work on it though.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3439 posts
1266 upvotes
Edmonton
So it looks like the daily step goal will be automatically re-calculated every week now? No more opting-out of Step Up challenges.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 12:27 pm
So it looks like the daily step goal will be automatically re-calculated every week now? No more opting-out of Step Up challenges.
But still the algorithm seems to be geared towards encouraging people to constantly increase their step count to the point that it's neither (a) necessary to maintain good health nor (b) sustainable for people with a daily routine. This new algorithm will become yet another "exercise" in futility--even for people who are trying to take the Carrot program seriously. These guys need to spend a few minutes Googling for current academic literature on step counts.

P.S. With the new Duggie TrumpFord government cutting back on discretionary programs, I wonder how Carrot surveys will be affected in Ontario, never mind the government's continued participation in the program in general. Since Ontario is the largest provincial participant, their loss could be catastrophic for Carrot's viability.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 10, 2006
216 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 12:47 pm
But still the algorithm seems to be geared towards encouraging people to constantly increase their step count to the point that it's neither (a) necessary to maintain good health nor (b) sustainable for people with a daily routine. This new algorithm will become yet another "exercise" in futility--even for people who are trying to take the Carrot program seriously. These guys need to spend a few minutes Googling for current academic literature on step counts.

P.S. With the new Duggie TrumpFord government cutting back on discretionary programs, I wonder how Carrot surveys will be affected in Ontario, never mind the government's continued participation in the program in general. Since Ontario is the largest provincial participant, their loss could be catastrophic for Carrot's viability.
Government of Ontario is no longer listed as a partner.
Images
  • Screenshot_20180717-192953.jpg
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1260 posts
172 upvotes
Thornhill
Hi All:

I have been using this with my gf now for about 2 months... I originally started at 4500 and now is up to 8800.

I was wondering if anyone have ever emailed them about this?
Like seriously, that's a violation of their own rule....
https://help.carrotwellness.com/article ... daily-goal

Can I adjust my daily goal?

A: Your personalized steps goal was determined by CARROT as a way to encourage you, on a personal level, to lead a more active lifestyle. To prevent people from “gaming” the app and taking shortcuts to receive rewards, CARROT sets all daily steps goals and does not allow for user input, adjustments or modifications. Following the CDC's recommended level of daily activity, your personal daily goal will never exceed 10,000 steps.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3439 posts
1266 upvotes
Edmonton
loopholez wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 2:56 pm
Like seriously, that's a violation of their own rule....
https://help.carrotwellness.com/article ... daily-goal

Can I adjust my daily goal?

A: Your personalized steps goal was determined by CARROT as a way to encourage you, on a personal level, to lead a more active lifestyle. To prevent people from “gaming” the app and taking shortcuts to receive rewards, CARROT sets all daily steps goals and does not allow for user input, adjustments or modifications. Following the CDC's recommended level of daily activity, your personal daily goal will never exceed 10,000 steps.
That article is from a different Carrot app in the US (Carrot Wellness) from a completely different company.

The Canadian one that we're talking about in this thread (Carrot Rewards) does not have a 10000-step limit. The limit in the Canadian app is 40000 steps.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1260 posts
172 upvotes
Thornhill
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 3:42 pm
That article is from a different Carrot app in the US (Carrot Wellness) from a completely different company.

The Canadian one that we're talking about in this thread (Carrot Rewards) does not have a 10000-step limit. The limit in the Canadian app is 40000 steps.
40000.... who can even walk that much daily!
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
loopholez wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 3:47 pm
Moi. Unfortunately the Carrot app won't go over 39,900. But Google Fit can.

clip1.jpg
clip2.jpg
clip3.jpg

Added: Even 43,109 steps...

clip4.jpg
Last edited by bylo on Jul 20th, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13047 posts
5445 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 3:42 pm
Nevertheless someone should point Canada's Carrot to, "Following the CDC's recommended level of daily activity, your personal daily goal will never exceed 10,000 steps." That makes far more sense than the way the Canadian Carrot works. (My current step goal is 24,400.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 10, 2006
216 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa
My goal remains at 18,000 steps regardless I only meet my goal 4 out of 20 times. I refuse to meet the goal as my knees started to hurt when I exceeded 18K steps. Oh well
Dec 11, 2017
46 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
loopholez wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 3:47 pm
This amazing Canadian! ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
If you do the math (assuming his stride length is 60cm), he averaged over 60,000 steps per day for almost 5 months straight. That's just the average! On good days, he would have walked much more. Puts things into perspective, doesn't it?
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1260 posts
172 upvotes
Thornhill
bylo wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 4:05 pm
Nevertheless someone should point Canada's Carrot to, "Following the CDC's recommended level of daily activity, your personal daily goal will never exceed 10,000 steps." That makes far more sense than the way the Canadian Carrot works. (My current step goal is 24,400.)
Totally agree with this one.... Furthermore, if people realize they can't do the goal, they would just forget it and put the app down completely so I don't see the benefit of them losing a client.
glamper wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 10:52 pm
This amazing Canadian! ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
If you do the math (assuming his stride length is 60cm), he averaged over 60,000 steps per day for almost 5 months straight. That's just the average! On good days, he would have walked much more. Puts things into perspective, doesn't it?
He is a true legend / hero; unfortunately we are not Astonished Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)