• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2016 6:04 am
Mar 21, 2008
240 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg

Carrying nothing but minimal items through security

Hi folks,
I am interested in trying something on the trip I have in 2 months. Normally I have a backpack for my documents all printed out and boarding passes and phone chargers with an iPad or laptop. I want to attempt to literally carry my phone, wallet, passport and an envelope with 1 or 2 trip related documents. The documents would be my prepaid rental car insurance I buy locally that I wouldn't want risking putting that in checked luggage.

All other trip documents would be PDF files on my phone and gmail/cloud backups.

Does anyone have experience with this and how has it worked for you?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I usually travel light. Usually I travel with only carry-on and no other luggage. I would check that in if no extra cost. Otherwise, I have nothing else except my purse. I don't bring a tablet anymore, I just use my Nexus 6 as phone/camera/tablet. I wouldn't leave a laptop or camera in checked luggage.

I just print out the necessary paperwork (always good to have a hardcopy). I access other documents thru Gmail or in my documents folder, or even on websites where I can login to access my records.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
chuckp wrote: Hi folks,
I am interested in trying something on the trip I have in 2 months. Normally I have a backpack for my documents all printed out and boarding passes and phone chargers with an iPad or laptop. I want to attempt to literally carry my phone, wallet, passport and an envelope with 1 or 2 trip related documents. The documents would be my prepaid rental car insurance I buy locally that I wouldn't want risking putting that in checked luggage.

All other trip documents would be PDF files on my phone and gmail/cloud backups.

Does anyone have experience with this and how has it worked for you?
And all your personal stuff is in the checked baggage?
I have gotten on an aircraft with only my iphone, which had my boarding pass on itand that was it. I was flying to Toronto to pick up a car and drive it home. Didn't need any baggage..
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Mar 21, 2008
240 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg
Raggie wrote: I usually travel light. Usually I travel with only carry-on and no other luggage. I would check that in if no extra cost. Otherwise, I have nothing else except my purse. I don't bring a tablet anymore, I just use my Nexus 6 as phone/camera/tablet. I wouldn't leave a laptop or camera in checked luggage.

I just print out the necessary paperwork (always good to have a hardcopy). I access other documents thru Gmail or in my documents folder, or even on websites where I can login to access my records.
Oh for sure, would never check an iPad or laptop. I am just not going to bring them this time hehe.

Every time I print hard copies I never use them so I figured I would risk it this time. I just want 3 things in my pocket and a small envelope in my hand.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Always do digital. Never an issue. I go through with my Phone, wallet, and passport. That's it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
Why do you want to travel so light?

If your baggage is lost you will have to scramble around for things like a change of clothes, etc. To me, you should at a minimum carry with you what you need for the next 24 hours (which in most cases will cover the time your baggage is lost). You're typically covered for items like this from the airline, but you still have to go out and get it (which may be difficult when your flight is later in the day).
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
chuckp wrote: All other trip documents would be PDF files on my phone and gmail/cloud backups.
I always have the worst of luck with LTE reception - I usually cache the files locally to reduce the dependency on WiFi or LTE.
Mar 21, 2008
240 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg
TrevorK wrote: Why do you want to travel so light?

If your baggage is lost you will have to scramble around for things like a change of clothes, etc. To me, you should at a minimum carry with you what you need for the next 24 hours (which in most cases will cover the time your baggage is lost). You're typically covered for items like this from the airline, but you still have to go out and get it (which may be difficult when your flight is later in the day).
No real reason, just felt like going hands free this round. Last 10 trips always carried something around an airport, or worried about carry on. Figured I would try going light in the airport/plane.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
From watching Border Security (Australia)...issues may depend on where you are going or where you are coming from. If you are travelling to or from known drug trafficking areas, then travelling really light may get you flagged. I would take a small carryon just in case.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
I agree. Carry a backpack with you at the very least.
Mar 21, 2008
240 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg
Mars2012 wrote:From watching Border Security (Australia)...issues may depend on where you are going or where you are coming from. If you are travelling to or from known drug trafficking areas, then travelling really light may get you flagged. I would take a small carryon just in case.
Oh i'll have checked luggage. I am just going for minimal carry around while waiting in the airport and for my connecting.
Jun 9, 2008
63 posts
6 upvotes
chuckp wrote:
Mars2012 wrote:From watching Border Security (Australia)...issues may depend on where you are going or where you are coming from. If you are travelling to or from known drug trafficking areas, then travelling really light may get you flagged. I would take a small carryon just in case.
Oh i'll have checked luggage. I am just going for minimal carry around while waiting in the airport and for my connecting.
I go for the opposite. I travel with no checked luggage, carry on only.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Thanks to the cloud and smartphones, there is very little you need to print out. I like to travel wearing a shirt with a pocket for my passport, flight times (not boarding times), boarding pass and a pen. If I have a backpack it is mainly so I can stuff my jacket in it in warmer climates. Except in say Cuba, there are stores all over if what you need is in your checked luggage. A plastic bag from a convenience store or tourist shop is also remarkably convenient for things like a water bottle.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
TrevorK wrote: Why do you want to travel so light?

The only issue would be bathing suite and warm cloaths in a warm climate (you should never fly in shorts/without a jacket if going to a colder climate). Socks can be turned over. Same for underwear (or go commando). I've been stuffing an extra pair of underwear in my jacket, but I feel paranoid doing that.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)