Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

ON - Carrytel Cable 75M plan (Rogers), $24.99 first month then $34.99 per month, modem rental included, no install fee

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2020 12:35 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3039 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
good deal!
If I knew this earlier, I may try this.
I have been using Bell DSL (via resellers) for almost 4 years. Got issues now and then. Kinda tired of this.
Price wise my 50M/10M is $30/M for 2 years. It's almost the same as this Carrytel if adding in the modem cost(BYOD) & processing fee.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1789 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
signup20 wrote: I switched from Rogers 1 year ago and have never looked back. Carrytel service has been very reliable. If you are switching, don't forget to get a referral to save you an extra $10.
Where do you go to get a referral? I will probably switch my grandmas rogers account to this as well.
Apr 10, 2015
296 posts
496 upvotes
zzzz24 wrote: I wish the cable modem provided was wifi capable.. don't really want to buy a router
I got one from Walmart $39.95. I'll make that back in 2 months worth of savings vs. what I was paying with Rogers.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
dieselboy27 wrote: Where do you go to get a referral? I will probably switch my grandmas rogers account to this as well.
Referrals does not work with this RFD Promo
works with their regular price plans
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
** Note about google speed test

if you do a Google speed test you will see it is slow
here is a discussion and explanation why google speed test is slow
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking ... normal_on/

So According to someone in reddit
Google speedtest is single threaded
speedtest.googlefiber.net is multi-threaded
try it out
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Oct 10, 2008
7 posts
I switched over from Rogers 3 1/2 weeks. So far, I would say that the deal is a slam dunk. Here's my experiences:
- speed tests have all been 75mbps +/- 1mbs down and 10 mbps up (always very close to this number)
- only one "downtime" on the first day, late evening, for 15 minutes
- I chose "new install" and the technician spent less than 5 minutes disconnecting my old hitreon modem and reconnecting my new technicolor modem (yes I bought into the deal a week early when the modem must be purchased but Carrytel was nice enough to void the old contract and give me the new since I had not yet completed my trial period). Note that I was using the rogers modem in bypass mode and had my own router so it might have taken a bit longer if setting up a new router were required.

Warning: If you are using rogers email, make sure you migrate your email account to something else before you terminate with Rogers. In my case I had already migrated to gmail but was still surprised that I lost email access to rogers with ZERO grace period.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
3055 posts
1665 upvotes
How quickly can you setup an install date with them? Their calendar literally lets you select any day/time for 3 choices..

I guess you have to schedule it so you already have the modem shipped and received from them first ?
Dec 28, 2006
144 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
If I'm already with Rogers/Fido, how long a gap would I have in between workng service? (in general). Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
zzzz24 wrote: How quickly can you setup an install date with them? Their calendar literally lets you select any day/time for 3 choices..

I guess you have to schedule it so you already have the modem shipped and received from them first ?
Yes, you would need your modem first.

Second, it's a request date. Since it's a Rogers technician and Carrytel is a 3rd party ISP, you may not get your requested time and install dates will vary.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
May 13, 2007
306 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
A cheap netgear router was $35 on sale last week on bestbuy
zzzz24 wrote: Which router did you buy?
Aug 19, 2009
593 posts
484 upvotes
new install or transfer if going from fido?
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|

Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Aug 19, 2009
593 posts
484 upvotes
flimbs wrote: I've been told that your phone may never get higher than 40-42 mbps because it doesn't have the protocol of your router (AC I'm assuming). If you want to do a true speed test, then hard wire your computer or laptop directly to the modem or router. Lemme know what you find.
When I was on Fido's 60/10 internet, i did some tests with my devices.
On hardwired pc/laptop: 75/10
on asus phone with no AC support: 40/10
on ipad with AC: 100/10

for some reason ipad got consistently 100down while my hardwired devices only went up to 75 lol. no idea why.
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|

Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
I have been with Carrytel since December 2016 on their 100M plan for $39.99

Can anyone comment as to whether they switched from 100M plan to the 75M plan for free or whether they charge an additional cost to make the switch?

I don't need the additional speed and wouldn't mind saving 5 bucks a month.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2004
1387 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
Nick17 wrote: OP you didnt mention the 50$ modem deposit
Edit: you should mention it in title :)
Oops, sorry about that, updated title. I guess I didn't consider a deposit to be a fee. I meant to say no installation fee (which they also used to charge before).
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
midget_man wrote: I called in last week and they said the deal ended for Cogeco area, which is what I was interested in.
What was the Cogeco area deal?

Anyone know how the $10 referral thing works? I know it won't apply to this deal, I'm looking at regular price plans because I cannot get this deal anyway.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2004
1387 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
Ducky wrote: according to rfd, this deal isn't allowed to be posted i think.... my guess is other competitors pay sponsor fee to rfd... and carrytel doesn't...
I thought that rule only applied if the vendor posted it themselves, which is understandable. Otherwise the only postings we would see are for products from sponsors. Makes no sense.
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11105 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
marcsterr wrote: I have been with Carrytel since December 2016 on their 100M plan for $39.99

Can anyone comment as to whether they switched from 100M plan to the 75M plan for free or whether they charge an additional cost to make the switch?

I don't need the additional speed and wouldn't mind saving 5 bucks a month.

Thanks.
There is a one-time charge $49.00 for changing plan or moving.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2004
1387 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
helloo wrote: Yeah they told me to do a new activation if I'm not an existing Rogers customer. The installation guy was from Rogers.
I placed my order yesterday, and they said transfer is ONLY for Rogers. I told them I'm with Fido, which is Rogers, but they said even for Fido it must be a new activation. Which is fine, because I wanted a new activation anyways so I could compare the two side by side during the money-back cancellation period.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2004
1387 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
graylensman wrote: Warning: If you are using rogers email, make sure you migrate your email account to something else before you terminate with Rogers. In my case I had already migrated to gmail but was still surprised that I lost email access to rogers with ZERO grace period.
In my opinion, nobody should ever be using an ISP's email service. You never know when you might want to change, and it's another thing keeping you from doing so. Like the old cell phone days before LNP.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2004
1387 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
zzzz24 wrote: How quickly can you setup an install date with them? Their calendar literally lets you select any day/time for 3 choices..

As of yesterday, earliest in my area was Saturday March 24, so about a week. They told me all 3 choices could be on the same day, so that's what I did. When you order online, they will call you back to confirm the dates and other details. I chose to pick my modem up, which I will do tomorrow, and yes you have to have the modem before they can do the install. I'm sure if you are getting it shipped, they will coordinate when they speak to you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)