Expired Hot Deals

[Carrytel] [ON] Carrytel Cable Internet service 100M/$39.99, 30M/$34.99, 15M/$29.99

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7587 posts
1193 upvotes
London

[ON] Carrytel Cable Internet service 100M/$39.99, 30M/$34.99, 15M/$29.99

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Carrytel
Mod will not bring old thread from expired hot deals back to Hot Deals and accidentally merged the Cable thread with the Fiber (VDSL2) thread which is causing confusion like Cable for Ontario only while Fiber (VDSL2) available to both Ontario and Quebec, $39.99 for 50/10 and same price for 100/10 or they can BYOD for FTTN (VDSL2) but not Cable etc, I am posting this new thread for those who are interested in discussing or have questions to ask about Carrytel Cable internet and not VDSL2.

Forum rules: Do NOT ask for resellers or referrals, otherwise this post may be deleted.

Please DO NOT post referral code, nor ask for referral code in this thread per RFD policy. Thanks for your cooperation.

-One week money back risk free trial.
-No contract.
-FREE Installation.
-Buy the modem right away for $99 for 15/1 and 30/5Mbps subscribers or $129 for 100Mbps subscribers.
-Modem rental at $5.99 per month only available for 15/1 and 30/5 connections.
-Billing period is 30 days (that comes to 1 extra bill per 5 years, i.e you'll get 61 bills in 5 years instead of 60)
-Switching cable service speed is not free, it costs the same as moving to another address, and you may need to buy another modem.
-The modems are wired, you'll need a router/access point to get a WiFi. You may use your old AP/gateway/router/modem if it supports WiFi only (Access point) mode.
-No bandwidth limit, this is an UNLIMITED data service. (According to an email that Carrytel sent to their customers in mid February)
-Carrytel assigns fixed IP addresses, a great feature for those who locally host their websites or share data. However, this is not guaranteed to stay forever; if there was a problem with your connection your IP address may be changed to reset your connection parameters.
-You may get a previously-US IP address (cognet) which is still registered as US based in some servers, it will eventually change to Canada after some time.
-Currently, Technicolor TC4300 is used for 30/5 and 15/1 MBPS services and Hitron CDA3 is used for 100/10Mbps service, They has only 1 Ethernet port, no wifi. Again, you will need to connect a router/access point to have wifi.

RFD rules reminder: No referrals, No resellers, No retailers.

Please DO NOT post referral code, nor ask for referral code in this thread per RFD policy. Thanks for your cooperation.
Last edited by apvm on Mar 22nd, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Thread Summary
Cable modem Puma 6 chipset test | DSLReports, ISP Information
http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6
1408 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
1950 posts
1041 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
I am confused. Is this for Cable TV or Internet? If internet, this price has been around a while along with unlimited bandwidth.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2206 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 6:40 pm
-You may get a previously-US IP address (cognet) which is still registered as US based in some servers, it will eventually change to Canada after some time.
This could be a good thing. Hate how a lot of access is geoblocked.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1794 posts
659 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 6:53 pm
I am confused. Is this for Cable TV or Internet? If internet, this price has been around a while along with unlimited bandwidth.
it was stated in the OP. Mods won't bring back the original thread and accidentally merged the 2nd thread with the FTTN thread.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7587 posts
1193 upvotes
London
bogolisk wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 7:38 pm
it was stated in the OP. Mods won't bring back the original thread and accidentally merged the 2nd thread with the FTTN thread.
Other than those typed in bold, I just copy and paste the rest from the old thread. If anyone found any mistake or items that don't apply anymore, please let me know. I am with their FTTN 50/10 so do not have much idea about their cable offer.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3580 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
not sure if its because of the crazy wind storm yesterday, but internet speeds here in west end toronto (bloor/dundas west area) have been super slow today. we're talking like, 1mbps download slow. other than today though, its been reliably fast for a while now (we have 100mbps plan)
Mar 8, 2004
752 posts
48 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 6:40 pm

-You may get a previously-US IP address (cognet) which is still registered as US based in some servers, it will eventually change to Canada after some time. If you need a "very" Canadian ip address you may call the customer service and ask them to change your IP address to a Canadian one, they'll do it in minutes.

They can't do it, tried asking for it and the tech guy said they can't do it for cable users. He said if you visit Canadian sites enough, you might get a Canadian IP eventually...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
So I have installation in about 2 weeks...but um, I'm already running TekSavvy.

What are they installing exactly? Changing the filter that's in my utility box in the basement? Anyone running Carrytel already can tell me? Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7587 posts
1193 upvotes
London
GabL wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 10:10 pm
They can't do it, tried asking for it and the tech guy said they can't do it for cable users. He said if you visit Canadian sites enough, you might get a Canadian IP eventually...
Thanks, I'll change that, like I said, I just copy and paste from old thread. By the way, according to another old thread on Carrytel's DSL, your IP should eventually becomes a Canadian one since Cogent will transfer it to Carrytel and it takes time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7587 posts
1193 upvotes
London
netusername wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 10:22 pm
Stop spamming the Hot Deals forum with multiple carrytel threads. One is enough for both services.
Well one is for Cable and the other for FTTN, people are confused with the difference like Cable for Ontario only while Fiber (VDSL2) available to both Ontario and Quebec, $39.99 for 50/10 and same price for 100/10 or they can BYOD for FTTN but not Cable etc.

There are multiple Ebay, Newegg, NCIX etc threads in the hot deals forum as well.
Last edited by apvm on Mar 22nd, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20094 posts
3028 upvotes
Waterloo
Maybe those threads should to go Computer forum instead of Hot Deals :P

I +1 on 2 separate threads. I'm on cable and only cares about Carrytel CABLE deals/discussions
Wish the other thread title included [DSL] to clearly indicate it...
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7587 posts
1193 upvotes
London
stevelam wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 9:59 pm
not sure if its because of the crazy wind storm yesterday, but internet speeds here in west end toronto (bloor/dundas west area) have been super slow today. we're talking like, 1mbps download slow. other than today though, its been reliably fast for a while now (we have 100mbps plan)
Try rebooting your modem and router.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1794 posts
659 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:00 pm
Well one is for Cable and the other for FTTN, people are confused with the difference like Cable for Ontario only while Fiber (VDSL2) available to both Ontario and Quebec, $39.99 for 50/10 and same price for 100/10 or they can BYOD for FTTN but not Cable etc.

There are multiple Ebay, Newegg, NCIX etc threads in the hot deals forum as well.
Also, BYOM is avail now for VDSL. Referral/Credits is only for VDSL. It was clear until the Mods merged the two threads.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Dec 10, 2003
207 posts
29 upvotes
Hi all, wanted to share my experience along with a mild warning:

I registered for the service back in January. I found the performance was not as I expected. Speed tests all showed 100/10 speeds, but actual Internet access, especially through VPN, was slower than my Start.ca 60Mbps service. Also, I was having problems with VoIP.

I cancelled the service within the 7 day trial period. To get my refund, CarryTel wanted me to send a copy of my driver's license, and my credit card statements. I wasn't comfortable with that, and my credit card company advised against it. It was a long and unpleasant process to get my refund. I regret ever trying the service.

After that experience, I have a new appreciation for my previous internet provider. They're more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

(copied from my post in the other CarryTel thread)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7587 posts
1193 upvotes
London
anthony.d wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 8:16 am
Hi all, wanted to share my experience along with a mild warning:

I registered for the service back in January. I found the performance was not as I expected. Speed tests all showed 100/10 speeds, but actual Internet access, especially through VPN, was slower than my Start.ca 60Mbps service. Also, I was having problems with VoIP.

I cancelled the service within the 7 day trial period. To get my refund, CarryTel wanted me to send a copy of my driver's license, and my credit card statements. I wasn't comfortable with that, and my credit card company advised against it. It was a long and unpleasant process to get my refund. I regret ever trying the service.

After that experience, I have a new appreciation for my previous internet provider. They're more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

(copied from my post in the other CarryTel thread)
Agreed. I suggest people who are researching which budget ISP to join also research a backup ISP (in between high quality ISP like Start, Teksavvy or EB) just in case the budget one does not work. Remember you get what you pay for.

By the way, according to an old Carrytel thread started by the reseller, the reason (for driver's license and credit card statements) that the reseller explained at the moment was that Carrytel wanted to make sure that no one abuse the 7 days free trail. I have no idea how true this explanation was.
Last edited by apvm on Mar 23rd, 2017 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.